Interview disasters

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
for those of us that sit on interview panels, what interview disasters have you been witness to?

(feel free to share if you've caused your own disaster)

Had a guy show up in neon colored swim shorts

Had a guy show up an hour late and insist he be interviewed because of his vast amount of experience

Have been witness to 3 men and 2 women burst into tears halfway through the interview...we were not mean either; I promise! We provide comfortable seats, smile, offer bottled water.

Have had multiple paramedics fail our EMT employment exam (we only have "EMTs" at my work and it pays real well). It has such unreasonable questions as "Define shock" and it's write in.

Anyone have any more stories? :p

WestMetroMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Although it doesn't fit exactly,

When I interviewed for my first EMS job, I was interviewed by 2 guys who each had a lazy eye. One has a lazy left eye and the other had a lazy right eye. On top of already being pretty nervous about the interview, that was the topping on the cake.

james88

Forum Probie
Interviewed for a reserve firefighter spot one time:
Walked in to see 4 captains and one chief staring at me. Greeted them, sat down, so far so good.
Then proceeded to get grilled by the chief harder than I've ever been grilled before. Borderline verbal abuse haha. I was beginning to crap my pants. I proceeded to bomb every question for the next 15 minutes and I'm sure I looked like a nervous wreck. It was so bad I was already thinking to myself I blew it and I just wanted to get out of there.
Finally, I nailed one of the questions perfectly, they were all looking at each other impressed and actually told me what a great answer that was, I jokingly said something like yeah the first good answer in this whole interview... Everybody kinda chuckled and from then on I nailed it and ended up having three of them fighting to have me at their station.
I wouldn't recommend doing that in an actual oral interview for a paid position but sometimes, you just gotta lighten the mood:cool: