Insurance situation

cpearson201

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hello, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section but I just had a question about what the insurance situation needs to be in order to work as an EMT? In terms of driving the ambulance do you need personal auto insurance or is there some kind of special insurance your employer provides you with? Thank you for your time everyone on EMTLife.

The company you work for should have insurance for the vehicles that you drive for them and you should be on that policy. You should NOT need to do anything special or prove that you have insurance on your vehicle to work for an ambulance company. If they ask for your personal insurance... you might want to check with a lawyer and/or find a new company to work for.

Thanks man.

Thanks man that really helps. I have personal auto insurance now but could see a sketchy situation occurring with my personal auto insurance going on in the next few months.

Your employer has to maintain some sort of liability insurance on their equipment and the operators of said equipment.

Thus the reason why many employers will not hire anyone with a poor driving history or hi risk drivers (DUI,DWI, or some any other major vehicle code violation)

If the problem with your personal insurance will affect your drivers liscnese it could pose a problem with your employment. But that's a whole other story in itself.

When I first started working in EMS I didn't have a vehicle I walked to work it was 2 blocks away. I didn't need to have a personal auto insurance policy because I had no vehicle to insure..

Consider buying your own liability insurance. It's less than $200 annually. You can get it through the NAEMT or directly through HPSO.

I have personal liability from HPSO. I needed it since I was doing 1099 work as an EMT. I haven't decided if I'll keep it now that I'm not 1099.

The company you work for should have insurance for the vehicles that you drive for them and you should be on that policy. You should NOT need to do anything special or prove that you have insurance on your vehicle to work for an ambulance company. If they ask for your personal insurance... you might want to check with a lawyer and/or find a new company to work for.

With that said, in some states if you get in to a motor vehicle accident while at work (or get pulled over/given a ticket in some cases), resulting in points or a surcharge, its attached to your personal license, and could cause your personal vehicle insurance premium to go up. In general, these points and surcharges are appealable to a state board, if you feel they are unjust.

I have a large personal umbrella policy. It's cheap and provides a reasonable measure of protection if you're named in a suit as an individual.

I have a large personal umbrella policy. It's cheap and provides a reasonable measure of protection if you're named in a suit as an individual.

Are you referring to vehicle, malpractice or other protection?

Its an umbrella. So it should cover anything.

What is this??

I've heard of it, But what does it cover? And how to get one?

I have my personal auto insurance, which covers me and any driver operating my vehicle that's not in my household, and individuals that are in my household that are not "excluded" so my kids can't drive mmmkay.

I also have a malpractice insurance policy which is up to 1 million bucks costs 38 bucks a year.

An umbrella policy kicks in when your regular liability insurance ends. It covers gaps in homeowners, professional practice and motor vehicle insurance. Each policy is different, each policy is customized for the individual. Speak to your local insurance broker, and discuss where you may have gaps or deficiencies. You're going to find a several million Dollar insurance policy is relatively inexpensive when you think about the ruin that could occur if you're ever at fault for an incident.

An umbrella policy kicks in when your regular liability insurance ends. It covers gaps in homeowners, professional practice and motor vehicle insurance. Each policy is different, each policy is customized for the individual. Speak to your local insurance broker, and discuss where you may have gaps or deficiencies. You're going to find a several million Dollar insurance policy is relatively inexpensive when you think about the ruin that could occur if you're ever at fault for an incident.

Ahh I see sweet,, thanks.. Its kinda like a personal insurance policy for everything lol.

Back