Input for stations on a training night

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay question for you all that are on a volley squad and career deparments. I got on the subject of being able to lift a pt. And haveing some on the volley squad that can't lift a whole lot. so I was curious of any EMS deparments had training like the firedepartment do. I think it is call CPAT (dont know for sure). But I was thinking of doing some lifting and other stations of splinting and stuff we don't do on a daily basis like CPR on the floor where you normaly end up doing CPR. So If any one has Ideas of being good or bad. I know supposeively when we joined we were suppose to be able to lift x amount of weight and care a distance of X but other than that never getting checked and being out rages in weight and distance no one probley ever said anything. SO let me know what you think for a training night that includes alittle bit of everything and then some.

Thanks

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You brought up something that has bothered me since the time I learned what CPR was. I've seen, too many times, people teaching CPR with the manikins on the table. How often do people crash on top of a table? Nearly never. I ALWAYS teach CPR with the manikins on the floor, except maybe one on a table if there is someone there who has trouble getting up and down (bad knees, back, etc).

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Originally posted by Chimpie@Oct 9 2005, 02:21 PM
You brought up something that has bothered me since the time I learned what CPR was. I've seen, too many times, people teaching CPR with the manikins on the table. How often do people crash on top of a table? Nearly never. I ALWAYS teach CPR with the manikins on the floor, except maybe one on a table if there is someone there who has trouble getting up and down (bad knees, back, etc).
You make an excellent point Chimpie.

When I went through the CPR class prior to the EMT training, everything was done on tables. I guess no one thinks about it until after the fact.

One guy I know said that he often teaches CPR UNDER the table to get a feel for what it is like in the rig.

-CP

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Every class I teach, I make them do CPR on the floor (unless they have a medical reason not to). When I teach nurses, I make them do CPR under the table.

The reason for this is simple...CPR (outside of the hospital) is NEVER performed in the most ideal of locations. Better get used to the fact that you're going to be in an akward position when performing CPR.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
I was thinking that same guy was you, ffemt, just wasnt sure. :p

Id like to be a CPR instructor but I feel that I sould get some road experience in before doing it.

Also on a side note, by ex-bf went through a CPR class some years ago and he broke the mannequin doing compressions, and he said the instructor was over in the corner cradling the thing and crying. :blink:

OP
OP
E

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Thanks for the post about CPR. I agree that CPR most often is not done in easy to acess places. When I test students on CPR and Airways I always make them work on the floor. Cuz that is where the pt most often is and generally the room I get is a smaller room so they don't have a whole lot of room to work in.

When your teaching and recertifying individuals do you have them actually do a minute of CPR like your technically suppose to? I know that is another thing that never seems to be done properly.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
When I tested for CPR, I told the proctor NOT to guide me as he had done with some of the other students (he was a young kid not much older than me) and I told him to give me a scenario. He gave the airport scenario, and yes it was on the floor with junk laying around and I had to move some stuff to gain access to my patient.

-CP

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Regarding CPR... I'm not sure who posted "How many of you have your students do CPR for one full minute, the way you're supposed to"... I can tell you as a Former Instructor Trainer (and Regional Faculty member in BLS), that there are NO guidelines in AHA classes that state that Instructors "MUST" have their students practice CPR for the full minute.

As for me.. it depends on who I'm teaching.. if I'm teaching a Healthcare Professional, I'll have them do a full minute, and then add in AED, etc... if it's "Grandma" who is just learning to be able to provide a few minutes of assistance to Grandpa.. then we practice as long as she wants.. if she wants to do a minute, we do a minute.. if she feels comfortable after a couple of cycles, we stop then.. It just depends.

I also agree about having the student work the "patient" on the floor during class. The only concessions that I make are for the "layperson" classes, in which they don't have to achieve "competency", but rather participation. If I have a Healthcare Professional that has knee or back problems come to class.. I reschedule them for sometime when they'll be able to achieve 100% competency.

Just my .02 Cents.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
During the intro to my classes, I always tell my students the following, "I used to be a 911 dispatcher, and one of my pet peeves in this class is when you forget to call 911. Therefore, you will continue to do CPR until you remember to call 911. The longest I ever had someone do CPR in class was 12 minutes...the longest I've ever done CPR non-stop was 47 minutes."

As far as one minute of CPR goes, I'm lenient on that as long as I feel they have the skills mastered...otherwise they continue until they get it right.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Oct 11 2005, 09:27 AM
Id like to be a CPR instructor but I feel that I sould get some road experience in before doing it.
My dad taught for the ARC for years. He NEVER worked a code.

He can still do a perfect strip on a recording Anne.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Training ideas:

good weather:

cut a car up.... with the FD.... good way for everyone to get to know each other.

practice lifting, moving and carring over grass, gravel, and up/down small slopes.

"inside" drills.... rain or shine:

Vehicle extrication / KED, etc.... practice getting each other out of the rigs, boraded and collared. Practice with each other's POV's... adds varitey.

Go over "different ways" to get Pt. in and out of ambualnce.... like how to secure Fat Albert's big brother.

Practice with the traction splints (but EASY with the sager, OK!), and the KED, and the spider straps, etc.

Jon