Industrial Medic

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I know there are 1 or 2 industrial medics on here, so I am just looking for a general idea of what this life is like from your experiences.

-How did you get started?
-Your schedule?
-Job satisfaction?
-Salary?
-Living conditions?
-Places to work?

Could probably come up with some more questions later, but for now just want an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I know there are 1 or 2 industrial medics on here, so I am just looking for a general idea of what this life is like from your experiences.

-Your schedule?
-Job satisfaction?
-Salary?
-Living conditions?
-Places to work?

Could probably come up with some more questions later, but for now just want an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance.

I'll jump in as this how I got my start.

"How did you get started?"
Our department handled security for the facility, an automobile manufacturing plant. We all were then trained to the medical first responder level. It is my understanding that they now train to the EMT level, but there were paramedics that received their certification prior to joining our department.

"Your schedule?"
We worked 12 hour shifts, basically four days on, four days off. We were staffed 24/7.

"Job satisfaction?"
As a young guy I was frustrated, but if I went back today I would be satisfied. This requires a much longer explanation.

"Salary?"
This was also back in the late 90's, early 2000's and I believe I was making about 12/hr - ish. Something like that.

"Living conditions?"
I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

"Places to work?"
Look for any large, manufacturing facilities that employ a lot of people. Our plant (at the time I worked there) had about 4,700 employees.

OP
OP
C

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll jump in as this how I got my start.

"How did you get started?"
Our department handled security for the facility, an automobile manufacturing plant. We all were then trained to the medical first responder level. It is my understanding that they now train to the EMT level, but there were paramedics that received their certification prior to joining our department.

"Your schedule?"
We worked 12 hour shifts, basically four days on, four days off. We were staffed 24/7.

"Job satisfaction?"
As a young guy I was frustrated, but if I went back today I would be satisfied. This requires a much longer explanation.

"Salary?"
This was also back in the late 90's, early 2000's and I believe I was making about 12/hr - ish. Something like that.

"Living conditions?"
I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

"Places to work?"
Look for any large, manufacturing facilities that employ a lot of people. Our plant (at the time I worked there) had about 4,700 employees.

Thanks for the info, sorry I should of been more specific. For the industrial side I am looking for info on the remote side of things where you spend a couple weeks at a time (drilling site etc.).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We have been talking to an Acadian SMS medic out where I work in texas. He's on two week off two weeks and is contracted to Shell oil for five rigs out that way. Pay is good (something like 80-90k a year) and he seems happy with how its run. He is a full ALS provider on the rig and can stabilize and prep a patient for when we get there.
Good guy and he's been sitting in on some of our in house training

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

-Your schedule?

-Job satisfaction?

-Salary?

-Living conditions?

-Places to work?

Are you looking for offshore, Canada or the USA? If it is canada I can help.

OP
OP
C

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you looking for offshore, Canada or the USA? If it is canada I can help.

Open to either, though I would need to eventually know the process of someone certified in the US working up there. Both on/offshore sites would be considered.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

-Your schedule?

-Job satisfaction?

-Salary?

-Living conditions?

-Places to work?

I have been working industrial for almost 2 years now. I got into it because my province (Canada) does not utilize ALS(supposed to change this year though) I wanted to use my skills and training without being restricted by a lower license.
I usually work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but it can vary by site and contract. I am currently working 2 on 1 off. A lot of EMTs work 3 on 1 off. You usually work a 12 hour shift and are on call for the next 12.
I have only worked in busier medical clinics ft so I really enjoy it. Lots of pts and we are given a lot of leeway in developing treatment plans for the pt and not just following protocols. That said I have done some relief work where I was sitting by myself in a truck or shack with 0 pts for a 2 week rotation . I was going out of my mind .
Pay is excellent for paramedics and good for EMTs. EMTs make about 300-400 a day while paramedics can make 600-800 a day plus flights . Both use get 4-10% vacation pay . Some companies offer bonuses and benefits.
You are provided a room and meals... If not you are reimbursed when you get paid. Conditions can be hit an miss. I am currently in an amazing camp with my own personal room that is like a hotel suite. I have also stayed in bunk houses where I though I was going to catch something from just being there.
I work in northern Alberta and British Columbia. Lots of jobs and lots of different medic companies out there. I would recommend some of the bigger companies as they have more contracts and there is a better chance of working in a clinic.

OP
OP
C

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I have been working industrial for almost 2 years now. I got into it because my province (Canada) does not utilize ALS(supposed to change this year though) I wanted to use my skills and training without being restricted by a lower license.
I usually work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but it can vary by site and contract. I am currently working 2 on 1 off. A lot of EMTs work 3 on 1 off. You usually work a 12 hour shift and are on call for the next 12.
I have only worked in busier medical clinics ft so I really enjoy it. Lots of pts and we are given a lot of leeway in developing treatment plans for the pt and not just following protocols. That said I have done some relief work where I was sitting by myself in a truck or shack with 0 pts for a 2 week rotation . I was going out of my mind .
Pay is excellent for paramedics and good for EMTs. EMTs make about 300-400 a day while paramedics can make 600-800 a day plus flights . Both use get 4-10% vacation pay . Some companies offer bonuses and benefits.
You are provided a room and meals... If not you are reimbursed when you get paid. Conditions can be hit an miss. I am currently in an amazing camp with my own personal room that is like a hotel suite. I have also stayed in bunk houses where I though I was going to catch something from just being there.
I work in northern Alberta and British Columbia. Lots of jobs and lots of different medic companies out there. I would recommend some of the bigger companies as they have more contracts and there is a better chance of working in a clinic.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the info!

tklingbeil

Forum Probie
Hey medic Tim. Can you suggest some companies that will hire? I'm also looking for something like this and maybe oil rig gigs. I could only find the Shell company hire page.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey medic Tim. Can you suggest some companies that will hire? I'm also looking for something like this and maybe oil rig gigs. I could only find the Shell company hire page.

The only US company I know of is SMS. I believe it is an Acadian company.
I have no idea what the pay or company is like as I don't work for them... Or in the US.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Open to either, though I would need to eventually know the process of someone certified in the US working up there. Both on/offshore sites would be considered.

It's not easy to gain reciprocity. Been looking at it for a while.

Also...it's expensive as hell.

Tim doesn't realize it but eventually he's gonna get stuck out in the boonies for two weeks with me. Haha

OP
OP
C

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not easy to gain reciprocity. Been looking at it for a while.

Also...it's expensive as hell.

Tim doesn't realize it but eventually he's gonna get stuck out in the boonies for two weeks with me. Haha

Yeah wouldn't think it was easy. This is not something I am looking to do right now. Just wanted a better idea of what to expect if I decide to switch things up in the future.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yeah wouldn't think it was easy. This is not something I am looking to do right now. Just wanted a better idea of what to expect if I decide to switch things up in the future.

I've also been looking at reciprocity for ALS, not sure about B/ILS. The biggest barrier I've run into is their level of education for ALS providers and the certification exam.

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
I worked for a year and half at a couple of remote oil/ gas projects in Iraq. It was totally different from anything I've ever done as a medic. You get pretty good at primary care and health/ safety issues. At the larger of the two projects, I was responsible for over-seeing a total of 5 clinics and 6 Iraqi doctors + 4 Iraqi ambulance drivers. A lot of my time was taken up by sitting in on construction meetings and baby-sitting the LN staff. We had relatively few major emergencies but due to the remoteness of the site, any sort of evacuation was a major ordeal involving $70,000USD medevac flights to Dubai....

The rotation as 28 days ON/ 28 days OFF and paid around $400/ day. Life was pretty comfortable with 3 hot meals a day, satellite TV with all of the paid channels, several nice gyms and smoothie/ hookah shops to relax at in the evening.

These types of jobs vary a lot and definitely depend on the company/ client you are working for.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.

-Matt

tklingbeil

Forum Probie
Hey Matt, that's the kind of contract I'm looking at applying for. What kind of certs are they looking for with that being so remote and which companies are still operating overseas? I have military experience as well if that helps any.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Military experience will definitely help if you're looking for Afghanistan or Iraq.

You could check out www.shooterjobs.com but quite a few of their medic spots are PSD/Medic slots.

Their Facebook has a pretty in depth explanation of requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

m4ttjabz

Forum Probie
I just have my National Registry, and the basics (BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS) and I got hired. It would be helpful to have some health and safety certs and BOISET, HUET are always useful for off-shore jobs.

The main companies, at least in Iraq are Exmed, Frontier and RMSI.

-Matt

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
We have been talking to an Acadian SMS medic out where I work in texas. He's on two week off two weeks and is contracted to Shell oil for five rigs out that way. Pay is good (something like 80-90k a year) and he seems happy with how its run. He is a full ALS provider on the rig and can stabilize and prep a patient for when we get there.
Good guy and he's been sitting in on some of our in house training
Is the pay really that high? I've heard the pay is much lower, but that was purely anecdotal. If the pay is really this high I'll be applying soon. This is something I'd like to do before I have kids.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been looking into this, as I think it would be a fun way to make money for a little while. As a US medic, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to be approved as a paramedic there. I've got two years of experience and I'll soon have a BHSc. Is there anything in particular I can do to increase my chances of qualifying as a medic there?