Individually packaged glucometer strips

north

Forum Ride Along
Any recommendations on a glucometer that uses individually packaged strips? This is an essential feature. Our current model has a 30 second processing time and we would prefer a shorter interval.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
precision is the only Glucometer that i have ever seen with individually packaged strips. the problem is if you lose that coding strip or forget to use it then you are going to have some problems when you change out. Precision usually has some smaller meters that carry a 5 second test time. I am diabetic and i have tried just about every meter on the planet. i went away from precision myself because of the strips were too hard to fumble with. i do however like the fact that they have the capillary action where you can see how much blood is being drawn into the meter and how much more you need.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Why are individually wrapped strips essential? Lots of hospitals and EMS agencies are using other glucometers now - they have shorter test times, and more strips in the pouch.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im guessing either his state ems board or service thinks they are making a good decision by mandation individually wrapped strips.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
we use the individually packaged strips...never been an issue for me. usually, I'll get my medic partner set up with whatever size angeo he needs, and then we have pre-made up blood kits with everything to do the IV stick except the angeo, so while he's doing the stick and drawing up bloods, I'll spike the bag, get out the glucometer and get a strip all ready to go in it and when hes done with the IV needle, he hands it over to me and there usually enough blood in there to push enough out onto the test strip. The way our strips are packaged, you can pretty much just pop the strip out of the glucometer and slide it right back into the wrapper to avoid exposure.