Indiana Boy Gets Trapped Inside Vending Machine

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
From Firehouse.com:

ELKHART, Ind. (AP) -- A 3-year-old boy upset that his mother wouldn't let him use a crane vending machine to try to win a small stuffed animal took matters in his own hands. He climbed up the chute to get the prize himself.

Danielle Manges said she took her eyes off her son, James, for a moment to pick up a juice bottle he threw. When she looked up, he was in with the plush toys.

''I bent over to clean it and within two seconds he had climbed through the hole, into the chute and pushed the door shut so we couldn't get him out,'' she said. ''He climbed up in the toys and was in there for a good hour.''

Manges said James has been sick and sleeping odd hours so they went shopping about 3 a.m. Thursday at a Wal-Mart in the city some 15 miles east of South Bend. She let the boy play on some of the rides, but wouldn't give him money for the vending machine.

At first, Manges thought it was funny.

''He was playing with all the toys and hanging from the bar like a monkey,'' she said.

Manges said people leaving the store went back inside to buy disposable cameras to take photos of her son. She bought one herself.

She became upset, however, when Wal-Mart employees said they did not have a key to let James out. So Manges called the fire department for help.

''I expected his hand to be caught in the machine but it was his entire body in the machine,'' firefighter Anthony Coleman said. ''He was swinging from a bar, jumping around. He was having a ball.''

About 40 people watched as the firefighters removed the back of the machine and freed him.

James still came up empty handed.

''He definitely didn't get a toy after that,'' Manges said.

Full text @ Firehouse.com

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

1116643281966_boytrapped.jpg

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Boy, that would have been awesome, as the child, that is. I hate those machines, the damn claw has no grip! I would have loved to just reach in there and grab something for all the quarters I lost..

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
LMAO!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
This story made me want a claw machine... :p

:lol: I bought a miniture claw machine on ebay.. it grabs small things in plastic bubbles. I'll prolly keep it for a while and then give it to someone or put in the ER too keep the desk jockies busy.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
man this kid is having all the fun.... he is doing what some many adults want to do.

WTG...

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
That happened in Wisconsin about a year ago. Same story that the mother turn away for a second and the kid was in the machine the next.

The things kids get into....literally.

ECC

Forum Captain
I think there is a problem with any vending machine that is not safeguarded enough to keep a 3 year old out.

On the other hand...He got to do what the rest of us can only wish already happened! :D

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Man, I've never seen one of those machines big enough for a kid to climb into.

I may have to take a trip up to Elkhart next time I'm visiting Jenny's family. :D

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 23 2005, 02:50 PM
From Firehouse.com:

James still came up empty handed.

''He definitely didn't get a toy after that,'' Manges said.

LMAO!!!! :lol:

That has to be one of the funniest!!

But those two lines made me laugh the loudest!!

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

There's a board on one of the local cable news stations near me... you should hear how all of these old birds cry "NEGLECT" because the mother went to get a camera... I think he was safe in there - where was he going to go, and he was laying on a bed of stuffed animals.

I just hope he didn't pee. EWWWW.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 01:50 PM
There's a board on one of the local cable news stations near me... you should hear how all of these old birds cry "NEGLECT" because the mother went to get a camera... I think he was safe in there - where was he going to go, and he was laying on a bed of stuffed animals.

I just hope he didn't pee. EWWWW.
Mom should have asked a member of the "Uh-Oh squad" to get it for her....

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

I do agree, though, that a sick child prolly shouldn't be at Wal-Mart at 3am, even if they can't sleep.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 01:55 PM
I do agree, though, that a sick child prolly shouldn't be at Wal-Mart at 3am, even if they can't sleep.
Yeah, but it isn't like brining you kid into a R-Rated movie at 10pm

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 27 2005, 12:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 27 2005, 12:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but it isn't like brining you kid into a R-Rated movie at 10pm [/b][/quote]
OH, so that's what happened to you! Explains so much! When was this, last week?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 27 2005, 02:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 27 2005, 02:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 27 2005, 12:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@May 27 2005, 01:55 PM

Yeah, but it isn't like brining you kid into a R-Rated movie at 10pm
OH, so that's what happened to you! Explains so much! When was this, last week? [/b][/quote]
Ow!

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

I think you've posted OW in at least 3 different threads... you know who you remind me of?

The one-armed vampire from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie) that she kills in the last scene... he refuses to die, and sayd very loudly "oooh,,, owwww, oh oh owwww"...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 02:42 PM
I think you've posted OW in at least 3 different threads... you know who you remind me of?

The one-armed vampire from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie) that she kills in the last scene... he refuses to die, and sayd very loudly "oooh,,, owwww, oh oh owwww"...
So... I've got to up my post count....

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Jon, did you go and get your head wedged in a toy machine trying to get a free toy after reading this?

They should have let him get a toy, that must have taken a lot of work. He does look sick though.. flushed. Too bad he couldn't flush himself from the machine.

I bet his mother put him in there for the media coverage, she'll prolly sue them now for negligence.

I'm just babbling.

I need a
av-38.gif