In need of a little advice...

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
So I just got a job with an Ambulance company.. (found out today):) and I need a little advice on how to tell my boss of 2 years I quit. He doesnt know Ive been looking for a new job so it will be kind of a shock... Should I tell him I got a new job or that Im just leaving???? Im thinking of chickening out and leaving him a note saying that my last day will be .. in like a month... I gotta wait on my cert. cards... HELP please.... Thanks ..

Hockey

Quackers
So I just got a job with an Ambulance company.. (found out today):) and I need a little advice on how to tell my boss of 2 years I quit. He doesnt know Ive been looking for a new job so it will be kind of a shock... Should I tell him I got a new job or that Im just leaving???? Im thinking of chickening out and leaving him a note saying that my last day will be .. in like a month... I gotta wait on my cert. cards... HELP please.... Thanks ..

Tell him just flat out you're leaving to work in EMS. He'll understand. If not, crappy boss and should be taken out back. Don't burn bridges that you may need to cross in the future.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Ya just tell him you are making a career change and you appreciate everything he has done over the last 2 years... you don't want to burn the bridge especially in this economy you want to leave a job on a good note if for nothing to have a good reference!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Did he not know you were working on getting an EMT cert? Surely he didn't think you'd stay once you obtained it?

Be honest, and professional. Tell him you are starting your career.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Just give him at least two weeks notice, if you can give more that would be even better. I quit my old Job to work as an EMT, and my boss wasn't happy but I gave my two week notice.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Be honest, tell him ASAP, to his face. You may feel embarrassed, but it's best to let him know that you appreciated working there, you're moving on, and that he needs to find someone to fill your place. Give him 2 weeks notice, minimum. The more notice, the better. You want to be able to ask him for a reference in future, since this is a 2 year period that will be on your resume for years to come, so don't burn any bridges. Even better, if you write a formal letter of resignation, but explain the situation when you give it to him.

OP
OP
aandjmayne

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
Yeah he did sasha.. I think he just ignored it.. the man barely let me off to take my cert exams. Im just scared hes going to make my life a living hell over the next few weeks.. but I guess I can go through it with the satisfaction that Im starting my career in ems and nothings gonna stop that.. I just know its gonna be bad.. everything is fine with him until someone wants to leave then he just turns into a complete a**hole... .. Ill give him my two weeks next week.. (last pay check on last day..kinda thing)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah he did sasha.. I think he just ignored it.. the man barely let me off to take my cert exams. Im just scared hes going to make my life a living hell over the next few weeks.. but I guess I can go through it with the satisfaction that Im starting my career in ems and nothings gonna stop that.. I just know its gonna be bad.. everything is fine with him until someone wants to leave then he just turns into a complete a**hole... .. Ill give him my two weeks next week.. (last pay check on last day..kinda thing)

If that happens, then quit. But try being an adult about the situation first and take the steps to smoothly quit.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Stick it out for the two weeks. Even if you think you can't rely on him for a reference, you did your best and can still explain it to an employer that way. How bad can he make things? You're still getting paid.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
You're about to enter a profession where you will likely have to tell someone there loved one has died, where you'll have to take charge of a scene and show confidence and maturity among complete strangers while under stress, you will have to be an advocate for your patient. An important first step is having these traits within your personal life. Deal with this head on, right away and with maturity. You are not responsible for how others react, you are responsible for how you comport yourself.

Good luck.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
You're about to enter a profession where you will likely have to tell someone there loved one has died, where you'll have to take charge of a scene and show confidence and maturity among complete strangers while under stress, you will have to be an advocate for your patient. An important first step is having these traits within your personal life. Deal with this head on, right away and with maturity. You are not responsible for how others react, you are responsible for how you comport yourself.

Good luck.

best post so far! most employers will at least respect the fact you are giving at least 2 weeks and being up front about it... tell the truth don't lie and if he is a jerk about it you did the best you could in a mature and professional way