In need of a internship site

OP
OP
J

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I wouldn't do a non-911 provider. You wont get nearly as many calls, and it's not conducive to if you become a 911 provider. I saw on their Instagram that Lynch in Orange County was doing internships. This poor sole probably had to do 100 shifts to get his 40 ALS contacts.

Yeah no, I'll rather drive to Santa Barbara haha but I might be able to ride with Compton Fire but won't find out till later this week.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't do a non-911 provider. You wont get nearly as many calls, and it's not conducive to if you become a 911 provider. I saw on their Instagram that Lynch in Orange County was doing internships. This poor sole probably had to do 100 shifts to get his 40 ALS contacts.

I’ve worked for a couple private als ift companies they’re pretty slow like 2-4ish calls max a day in oc. 911 is gonna have a higher als call volume especially places like riverside.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Is this internship a California thing? Never heard of anything like that here in Wisconsin. Just clinicals and then you're ready to work.
It's just wording; I'm positive you have it in Wisconsin.

The clinical stuff is the hospital based clinicals. The "internship" is the ambulance based clinicals. Many/most places will hire their paramedic interns because they have seen their work, they are familiar with the agency's protocols, and they are familiar with the person (assuming they liked you). It's a safer bet than hiring a newbie medic with 0 experience.

That's why AMR is paying people to do their internships there; it's win/win, where they get to evaluate you before you become an employee, you get paid for your time, and if you aren't cutting it, they can terminate you. and if you do a great job, they keep you for 2 years.

If you really wanted to have a good chance, do your internship somewhere where you want to work. My school had agreements with EMS systems in other states. If an agency doesn't have an agreement, ask your school and that agency what they would need to do to set one up.

Your internship is the final part of paramedic school, where you can put all you learned into practice. But that's not the important part; It's actually a really long job interview, where you can show the employer that you want to work at what you can do, so once you complete the requirements, and pass the NRP exam, they will offer you a job.