IMPORTANT VIRUS WARNING

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
All,

I recently received the following e-mail with an attached ZIP file (SpyKiller.zip). If anyone receives a similar e-mail, please know that it does not come from any of the moderators here at EMTLife and should be immediately deleted. Opening any executable file attached to e-mail presents a great risk for infecting your computer with a virus. I do not know for a fact that the attached file contained a virus, but the protential is there.

If you have received this e-mail and opened the attachment, I strongly recommend that you run a reputable virus scan program such as Norton or McAfee to check if your computer is infected. I personally run Norton and have a full system scan scheduled every night (I also update my virus definitions daily).

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact myself or any of the other moderators.

Thank you.

Chris
------------------------------
Dear user of emtlife.com

Your account has been used to send a large amount of spam messages during the
recent week.
Most likely your computer had been infected by a recent virus and now runs a
trojaned proxy server.

We recommend that you run in attach free spyware remover software to keep your computer
safe.

Password to archive: 6832
License key: 1-71-842

Best regards,
The emtlife.com team

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
There is a chance that you have spyware on your computer, so you may want to run a spyware remover as well as your antivirus.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I use the following free programs to protect my computer, and have found them to be better (IMHO) than the commercial programs:

Spybot Search & Destroy

Anti-Vir XP

Both of these programs have options to update from the internet automatically, and scan your computer when done.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I use Spybot Search & Destroy and I also use Ad-Aware.

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I was using Spybot, but switched over to Ad-Aware. I basically got frustrated with Spybot because of the infrequent updates, and I was having an ongoing problem that I suspected was related to spyware....so I downloaded and ran Ad-Aware, and it found a bunch of stuff that Spybot had missed.

I don't run it as frequently as Norton, but still do on a regular basis. I have my internet security options set pretty high, including prompting for ALL cookies (which I'm pretty choosy about allowing). I also run Norton Personal Firewall since I'm on a DSL connection, and its a lot better than the bulit-in XP firewall.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jan 22 2005, 11:14 PM
I use the following free programs to protect my computer, and have found them to be better (IMHO) than the commercial programs:

Spybot Search & Destroy

Anti-Vir XP

Both of these programs have options to update from the internet automatically, and scan your computer when done.
Any problems with the Anti-Vir XP??

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by coloradoemt+Jan 24 2005, 09:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Jan 24 2005, 09:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978@Jan 22 2005, 11:14 PM

Spybot Search & Destroy

Anti-Vir XP

Any problems with the Anti-Vir XP?? [/b][/quote]
I haven't had any. They update their virus definitions 2-3 times a day, so they're pretty current.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Jan 23 2005, 10:52 PM
I was using Spybot, but switched over to Ad-Aware. I basically got frustrated with Spybot because of the infrequent updates, and I was having an ongoing problem that I suspected was related to spyware....so I downloaded and ran Ad-Aware, and it found a bunch of stuff that Spybot had missed.

I don't run it as frequently as Norton, but still do on a regular basis. I have my internet security options set pretty high, including prompting for ALL cookies (which I'm pretty choosy about allowing). I also run Norton Personal Firewall since I'm on a DSL connection, and its a lot better than the bulit-in XP firewall.
First of all, I forgot to mention that I also run the following program in addition to Spybot. This program acts like a blocker and prevents a lot of spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place.

Spyware Blaster

Secondly, I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran a check on my system. The only thing it found was 8 cookies and that was only because I've told my Spybot to ignore cookies. I'll probably keep Ad-Aware as a secondary scanner, since you really can't have too much protection, but I really didn't see much difference in the two (other than appearance).

OP
OP
SafetyPro2

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jan 25 2005, 02:06 AM
Secondly, I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran a check on my system. The only thing it found was 8 cookies and that was only because I've told my Spybot to ignore cookies.
Just remember, some cookies are more invasive than others. Most only store your info (like logins, preferences, etc.) for when you visit a site frequently. Others can actually function like spyware and provide other data (like your surfing history) to the site when you access it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Be careful with instant messaging programs - my firm got hit with a virus running through windows messenger yesterday.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro+Jan 25 2005, 11:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SafetyPro @ Jan 25 2005, 11:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978@Jan 25 2005, 02:06 AM
Secondly, I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran a check on my system. The only thing it found was 8 cookies and that was only because I've told my Spybot to ignore cookies.
Just remember, some cookies are more invasive than others. Most only store your info (like logins, preferences, etc.) for when you visit a site frequently. Others can actually function like spyware and provide other data (like your surfing history) to the site when you access it. [/b][/quote]
The eight cookies on my system were my login cookies from my trusted sites. I run my internet security options pretty high, and frequently delete my cookies, history, and temp files.