Forum Lieutenant
CAN I GET SOME MOTIVATION!!! WOO!

(p.s. Medics...Be nice :rolleyes:)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an Intermediate. It's awesome!

mct601

RN/NRP
I wish they offered EMT-I where I am. Its either EMT-B or paramedic, no in between

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
If they had intermediate down here I would be all over it. Everyone says go straight to medic. But for some of us who are already in school full time and who would have to wait forever to attend a year long program, at least there is a level to pursue beyond basic.

DO IT!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm in medic school right now. I became an EMT in December. I didn't even know what an EMT did 12 months ago. I'm doing just dandy in my medic class (highest grade, TBH)

Just go the full mile ^_^

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Expanding your education and growing in your field is a good thing. I'm going to paramedic next fall so I fully co-sign on to your choice!

Jon

8jimi8

CFRN
DO IT!! There is no reason, not to pursue a higher level of responsibility.

emp430

Forum Probie
Just don't stop with EMT I. I'm not sure how it works in all states, but mine you become an I after the first semester of Paramedic school if you get all your rotations in. What are some of the protocol restrictions for an I in your state? Mine you can't start IV's on pt younger then 16 and only ETI on pulseless and apenic pts within a certain age range. I see it as more of an ALS assist level. Give a Paramedic a hand with an IV while they get meds ready sort of thing.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I might be going for that soon. Either that or paramedic, depending on how my schedule works out. Good luck!

Just go the full mile ^_^

Don't some places make you get intermediate before you can go for medic?

I've heard of one weird system that has step between B and I. Not exactly sure what they'd do, but I'm told you need that before you can get the I there, then the I before the P.

TommyKeet

Forum Probie
We have a new class here called intermeidate thur paramedic, before this class you had to go to intermediate class then do paramedic class, so now you go to this i-p class as a basic and finish off with all the requirments of normal paramedic class, I start Aug 31, its a 7 month class.

OP
OP
KillTank

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
I know in texas you can jump from basic to medic but I much rather step my way up to ensure that I am properly educated. The last thing I want is to endanger a patient because I jumped through everything too quick to take and hold all my skills in. Plus when I am a medic I will be in charge and that comes with many responsibilities...But hell, I usually take charge anyways cause some of the I's and P's I work with are idiots. They will move up to EMT-R pretty soon.

(R = retarded)

Scriptor

Forum Probie
Becoming an Intermediate

What is involved, exactlly? See in MA we run a little slow on the medical track. Where Im going, TN, a basic is pretty much an intermediate to MA. So I am seriously considering getting my EMTI asap. However, what does that entail? Is there a wait period for training? (in MA you have to be at least a basic for 2 years before even applying to EMTP school). Are IV's anything to get nervous about? (so far they are the only thing in medecine that still bother me). Is it worth it? My long term goal is tactical medic, but i like stepping stones. Plus, the skills of an Intermediate seem pretty cool. I dont know if Im into the meds quite yet. Let me know.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Absolutely go for being an Intermediate. It will give you a better view of delivering ALS in general. When you go for the Paramedic later, you'll have a lot of the "basics" down as far as skills go, and you'll be that much further ahead of the rest of your class. You'll also be likely held to a higher standard by your instructors too... but that's ultimately good for you and the patient in the long run.

Yes, I'm a Paramedic... but I absolutely do NOT knock anyone who wants to improve their education. No training but want to do First Aid? Go for it! Got First Aid but want to do EMT? Go for it!! You get the idea! EMT to MD? Go for it! (Lotsa schooling though...) but if you can do it... GO FOR IT!!!

harkj

Forum Crew Member
i say go for it!!!!!! i wish my state would have jobs for EMT-I but its either basic or medic

k8ek8e

Forum Probie
I've heard of one weird system that has step between B and I. Not exactly sure what they'd do, but I'm told you need that before you can get the I there, then the I before the P.

In my state (Indiana) Advanced-Basic is between Basic and Intermediate. They can start IV's, do 4-leads, and a few other things Basics can't do.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
What is involved, exactlly? See in MA we run a little slow on the medical track. Where Im going, TN, a basic is pretty much an intermediate to MA. So I am seriously considering getting my EMTI asap. However, what does that entail? Is there a wait period for training? (in MA you have to be at least a basic for 2 years before even applying to EMTP school). Are IV's anything to get nervous about? (so far they are the only thing in medecine that still bother me). Is it worth it? My long term goal is tactical medic, but i like stepping stones. Plus, the skills of an Intermediate seem pretty cool. I dont know if Im into the meds quite yet. Let me know.

I went to Intermediate school at NEEMSI in Manchester, NH. Excellent program- 260 hours in length. They are approved by the MA OEMS, as well. If you can do Intermediate then you're golden for medic.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
I'm keeping my eyes out for a local Intermediate class as well. I've been toying with the idea for far too long & just need to go for it. Get yourself signed up!

OP
OP
KillTank

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant

Same as Texas. you must wait 2 years. IV's are nothing to get nervous about. I am sure when you are properly trained on how to push em will make you feel alot better.

OP
OP
KillTank

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Absolutely go for being an Intermediate. It will give you a better view of delivering ALS in general. When you go for the Paramedic later, you'll have a lot of the "basics" down as far as skills go, and you'll be that much further ahead of the rest of your class. You'll also be likely held to a higher standard by your instructors too... but that's ultimately good for you and the patient in the long run.

Yes, I'm a Paramedic... but I absolutely do NOT knock anyone who wants to improve their education. No training but want to do First Aid? Go for it! Got First Aid but want to do EMT? Go for it!! You get the idea! EMT to MD? Go for it! (Lotsa schooling though...) but if you can do it... GO FOR IT!!!

I agree. There is nothing more frustrating that I can only do so much. Thanks alot for the motivation!