"I'm in V-tach!"

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a lady call 911 the other day. She sounded out-of-breath but more in the deep, "I just ran a marathon" sorta way rather than wheezy/SOB/etc. She was in her early 30's, and her chief complaint was that she was on some sort of at-home cardiac monitoring (I'm thinking event monitor), had a syncopal episode, and afterwards was told by a physician or technician to call 911 because she had been in V-Tach.

While talking to her, she seemed somewhat disoriented or distracted - it wasn't obvious as she was easily able to tell me where she was, who she was, etc... but she was somewhat slow to respond and couldn't really tell me the particulars of her medical hx or anything in-depth.

She continued to have that deep, rapid breathing the entire time I talked to her and just the way she sounded made me extremely concerned she was going to drop on me at any point.

Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone has encountered such a situation in the field.

I wore a cardiac event monitor once, and if you're not familiar they're pager-sized devices that continuously monitor an EKG (most are 3-lead but there are 12-lead ones available) as a patient goes about their daily life. It is either automatically triggered to record a segment of the EKG by an arrhythmia or "event" or by button when a patient experiences symptoms. This recording can then be sent via phone (I pushed a button and it played a dial-up modem type sound into the phone) to technicians or whomever to analyze it. I imagine if they see something dangerous they'll tell you to call 911.