I'm going to go through EMT-B training when the class startes

Code 20

Forum Ride Along
I know i need to listen,do the assignments,what else could really help me get a head start on the class? cause i want to be the best but i cant seem to find anything that can help me out,this i believe will be the best way by asking people who are already in the field.

Whittier

Forum Probie
I'm halfway through at the moment (midterm last Thursday), so I may not be the greatest person to answer. All I can say is if you want to be the best, read the chapters thoroughly. I have no idea what you can do before the class starts, but if you take the time to focus on those chapters, you will quickly jump ahead of the other students... trust me.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
A college anatomy and physiology class before wouldnt hurt. It's no guarentee of success either though. Probably about 1/3 of my class had taken it prior to starting, and there wasnt any noticable difference in performance between ones who did and ones who didnt. A few who had taken it still managed to fail the class.

My biggest advice is dont wait til the end to study hard and end up having to cram, if you do you'll be in trouble.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I'm not sure how one can fail an EMT course, unless absolutely no effort is put forth.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure how one can fail an EMT course, unless absolutely no effort is put forth.

I dont understand it either. I think some of them just got cocky towards the end and didnt study enough, who knows. I guess it depends on the course one takes, mine had a final exam that caught everyone by surprise. The NREMT exam was a joke by comparison.

OP
OP
C

Code 20

Forum Ride Along
I'll check out the classes

Thank you for your answer fellow servants of the medical field. if you do come up with anything tell me please thank you code 20 out p.s. code 20 i hope and think it is overdose the reason i came up with that is cause thats what im scared of the most cause my brother nearly died from an overdose so it hits me at home i dont live with him anymore thank god:unsure:

dave3189

Forum Crew Member
The best advice I can give to an EMT-B student is to regularly meet with other students outside of class to practice assessments! The academics are really quite simple. I don't know of anyone who failed because of academics. Where people have trouble is putting the knowledge into practical use. The more scenarios you practice and the more assessments you do, the better you will perform under pressure, including real life.

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
Basically what people before me said, read through your book ahead of time, it works. If you put enough effort into the class you won't have any problems. It's a huge learning experience, so try practicing as much as you can in and out of class. Meet with classmates at their stations if possible and vise versa.

It's all practice, practice, practice. For patient assessments talk to a family member, loved one, or even a mirror. For practical skills, actually DO the skills in full on a classmate, co-worker, or friend. It especially helps if you have someone who is an instructor.

I don't know if you're already part of a fire department/rescue squad/ambulance company, but everyone should be willing to help you along the way.

Good luck with it, and keep your effort up towards the class.

OP
OP
C

Code 20

Forum Ride Along
Willing

come on over you can help me. but my wedding is on april 10 so not that day okay?:glare:

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
I just finished my basic class, and the things that really helped were read the book, practice your skills, and more than that, because I almost failed a few technical stations during NR practicals, Play With The Equipment, it doesn't matter if you know that proper treatment for an isolated femur fracture is traction if you can't properly assemble and use the traction splint.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Generally, a good way to pass an EMT-B course is to do the following:

1. If possible, take an A&P course prior to the EMT.
2. Once you get it, read the book a bit ahead of the class, and make sure you understand it not just reading it and losing the info.
3. Familiarize yourself with the equipment and how it works so that on test day (or real life), you don't get stumped on how to use something.
4. Practice all of the hands on components, especially assessment. While you can pick up on some obvious things right off the bat (cyanosis, gross hemorrhage, obvious broken bones, etc), you can't get a complete picture without doing a proper assessment.
5. Last but not least, ABCs. When I took my basics course last year, there was someone who failed a practical day because they went to apply a traction splint before assuring a patent airway (if memory serves, the pt had several broken bones and possibly aspirated teeth secondary to trying to fly off of the roof while having quite a bit of ETOH on board

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you don't understand what you just read, don't turn the page.

Trauma Chaser

Forum Probie
study, study, and study. Take it upon yourself to go to the library and checkout other medical books, take online practice quizzes, anything you can do will help. Especially if you do not have any past medical background. most of the people that fail, fail because they think its just like a high school class or blow off college class and they can just do nothing and pass. Thats what Ive seen a lot of. Just remember you really need to know this stuff as dumb as some of it may sound. It seem dumb to know what fowlers, recumbant, supine, distal and other tems mean but you need to know them for when you document.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Our class got together a lot to study outside of class. Our teachers required us to read our chapters before our lectures the next day. It helped our teachers "jump" right into the material and helped us by getting familiar with the terms and definitions. However, you can be as book smart as you want, BUT if you cant use your knowledge in a practical senerio then you will struggle. The hands on is very important. Not to worry, as long as you pay attention, you will be fine.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
read your book. i know, it sounds obvious but ..it helps :), if u come across terms that u are unsure of or dont understand- google them. and write it out, it will help you remember a lot better.

as for the practical aspects- that comes from pure repetition. as one instructor once told me... "you should be eating and sleeping these assesments until u know them cold". and its true.

it took me a bit but, im good with it now.. by the time final practicals came around. i knew my assessments inside out. so just practice. mebbe find a girl or a guy (whatever ur preference hehe) and practice on them, listen to their lung sounds feel their landmarks (ribs trachea, cspine etc)... if u KNOW what normal looks/sounds like, you will know when u are presented with a sick/injured person u will recognize it :)

good luck!

remember were here to help !