I'm a paramedic student in Canada and I would like to move to Hawaii and become a paramedic there. What should I do?

CamilleG

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I was wondering what is the process to become a paramedic in Hawaii if I'm a graduated student from paramedic school in Canada? Thanks a lot!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I know if is possible. I work with a Canadian trained medic. I'll see if I can ask him what he did but I know it was a while ago.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm assuming you're talking about Honolulu/Oahu specifically? If so, Kapiolani Community College (KCC) is the only medic program here that'll get you State licensed.

Reciprocity is almost non-existent, but I can't say it doesn't exist. One of our guys in my Fire Recruit class was a Paramedic from somewhere like Ohio or one of those Midwest states, they pulled him aside and jumped thru some hoops with the State EMS office to get him his State Medic (benefits of a relatively small community) (but also a bit odd as Honolulu Fire doesn't actually use Paramedics, we're BLS first response/non-transporting agency).

So, I'd advise contacting KCC for info specific to transferring Medic license from Canada, but I can't guarantee an answer that doesn't end up being "just sign up for the class from Day 1 with everyone else".

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
If you took a PCP program in Canada I would suggest applying to a Paramedic program at KCC. That way you get some experience in the US system and time to get work visas and such in order. That way you have you will not have to go through a great deal of pain only to be licensed as an AEMT. Might actually take less time to become a full on Paramedic.

I took my PCP in Canada and did Paramedic in the US. I was licensed and working in both countries for a short time. Presently working in Saskatchewan and New Brunswick as an ACP.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Primary care provider?
Primary Care Paramedic.

@CamilleG can correct me, but my understanding of Canadian medic levels is
  • EMR (Roughly the same as ours I believe?)
  • PCP, Primary Care Paramedic, closer to an AEMT in the US system than our entry level EMT
  • ACP, Advanced Care Paramedic, ALS, Paramedic stuff
  • CCP, Critical Care Paramedic
Come to think of it, I'm not aware of any AEMT training programs in the state at all. At least for Honolulu EMS its just EMT and Paramedic (well technically Mobile Intensive Care Technician (MICT) but everyone just calls them Paramedics anyway).

I don't know if AMR (The only private ambulance company here in Honolulu, possibly the state) has any AEMTs, I cannot confirm or deny that. I do know Honolulu EMS is just EMT and Medic only, and Honolulu Fire has no medics (at least no official, working in that capacity as a, Paramedic).

Maui Co and Kauai Counties, AMR is the ambulance provider. Maui Fire and Kauai Fire I believe is like us, BLS first response only.

Hawaii County Fire (Big Island) runs the EMS over there, they have Fire Medics on their ambulances. No idea if AEMT is a thing or not over there. I imagine if so, AEMTs work AMR for Inter-Facility Transfers.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
Primary Care Paramedic.

@CamilleG can correct me, but my understanding of Canadian medic levels is
  • EMR (Roughly the same as ours I believe?)
  • PCP, Primary Care Paramedic, closer to an AEMT in the US system than our entry level EMT
  • ACP, Advanced Care Paramedic, ALS, Paramedic stuff
  • CCP, Critical Care Paramedic
Come to think of it, I'm not aware of any AEMT training programs in the state at all. At least for Honolulu EMS its just EMT and Paramedic (well technically Mobile Intensive Care Technician (MICT) but everyone just calls them Paramedics anyway).

I don't know if AMR (The only private ambulance company here in Honolulu, possibly the state) has any AEMTs, I cannot confirm or deny that. I do know Honolulu EMS is just EMT and Medic only, and Honolulu Fire has no medics (at least no official, working in that capacity as a, Paramedic).

Maui Co and Kauai Counties, AMR is the ambulance provider. Maui Fire and Kauai Fire I believe is like us, BLS first response only.

Hawaii County Fire (Big Island) runs the EMS over there, they have Fire Medics on their ambulances. No idea if AEMT is a thing or not over there. I imagine if so, AEMTs work AMR for Inter-Facility Transfers.

You got it. Scope wise PCP (Primary Care Paramedic) is closer to AEMT than anything despite the PCP programs typically taking a year and a half to two years. Advanced Care paramedic programs typically take another 2 years and can be a bachelor's program (most are diploma programs). Diploma programs are equivalent to an Associates degree (no Associates in Canada).