IFT's or 911 calls for newbies?

Sako887

Forum Probie
Got my cert a month ago, looks like I have a couple of opportunities. One would be a company that only does ift's and another that runs 911 calls. Should I jump straight into the company that runs 911 calls if I could?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do 911 if you want to, though in some places IFT may pay more.

I did IFT... hated it.

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
Yep. Done both and IFT, if you are good, is harder on the soul. Do your Ricky rescue stuff first and enjoy it, then contemplate IFT. I'll leave it at that.

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Got my cert a month ago, looks like I have a couple of opportunities. One would be a company that only does ift's and another that runs 911 calls. Should I jump straight into the company that runs 911 calls if I could?
911 for fun... but IFT can make you have to think.

IFT, at the BLS level, can be (and are 99.9% of the time) maddeningly boring though.

911, if you're with a medic that will treat you as something more than a gofer, might be a better option.

OP
OP
S

Sako887

Forum Probie
thanks for the input guys. 911 it is! hopefully lol

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I agree above, but also believe, fairly strongly, that new EMTs should work IFT for a short period of time before diving into a 911 contract. I think the experience that comes from assessing some of the sickest barely stable (mainly medical) patients is irreplaceable (think dialysis patients). It's a great way to learn ambulance operations, the mechanics of the stretcher, stair chair, documentation, driving, regional hospital locations and designations, city layouts, etc.
I think it's a great opportunity, but up to the EMT to take full advantage of it.

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
When I started, I worked full time 911 and had a part-time gig with an IFT service. It was a nice mix and made for a lot of good experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
thanks for the input guys. 911 it is! hopefully lol

Keep in mind, a choice might not be in the cards. Just make sure you apply at all the services you find, not just the 911 services. 911 services can be picky enough with the massive overflooding of the market of brand new EMT-Bs every semester