If a person is in hypovolemic shock, what are the appropriate measures?

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
My thoughts are intravenous saline, breathing support and even AED if needed, but I am not sure.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
My thoughts are intravenous saline, breathing support and even AED if needed, but I am not sure.
Kid…just stop. This isnt a school. Everything you’re asking you can find out in a structured first aid class. You should put more effort into high school classes than drifting around the web. You don’t have to be 16 for the FA class.

Start there.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Alright...
While I applaud your desire to learn about something that interests you, quite honestly, at this point you don't even know enough to know what you don't know.

You've already been given some great advice on other threads, and I want to offer a few more tidbits. What you do with it is your choice:
1) Regardless of what information you get here, it's not going to replace what you learn in a real EMT class - which by the way, is the standard you have to meet to pass the tests and become certified.
2) All the scenarios you've asked about will be covered in your class, and more importantly, you'll have the foundation to understand then.
3) The vast majority of what an EMT does has relatively little impact on positive patient outcomes. However, it can have a serious detrimental impact if you screw up.

OP
OP
S

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
While I applaud your desire to learn about something that interests you, quite honestly, at this point you don't even know enough to know what you don't know.

You've already been given some great advice on other threads, and I want to offer a few more tidbits. What you do with it is your choice:
1) Regardless of what information you get here, it's not going to replace what you learn in a real EMT class - which by the way, is the standard you have to meet to pass the tests and become certified.
2) All the scenarios you've asked about will be covered in your class, and more importantly, you'll have the foundation to understand then.
3) The vast majority of what an EMT does has relatively little impact on positive patient outcomes. However, it can have a serious detrimental impact if you screw up.
I understand, thank you for being respectful.

However, what is this website for if people aren't meant to ask medical questions? (genuine question)

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

However, what is this website for if people aren't meant to ask medical questions? (genuine question)
You don’t get to dictate the answers given to your questions.
Refer to my comments about school and maturity.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

It's for that, but like I referenced, you don't have the foundational knowledge yet to understand and speak the same language, so to speak.

In most areas, EMT's don't do IV saline since starting IV's is generally considered a more advanced skill, so what is your treatment going to be and juat as importantly why are you doing those treatments? What is the definitive level of care for a patient, and what is your role in providing that care?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Depends why they’re hypovolemic. Saline could help, or actively make things worse, or kill them, depending on how much and what.