IEMS new recruit, some questions

Biggs

Forum Ride Along
Well. I have made it thru the interview process and have moved on. I will be starting the academy next month.

This will be my first full time EMS job and I don't know exactly what to expect.

They run on 12 hour shifts. What does that typically mean? How many per week?

Any advise or info would be great.
Thanks everyone.

SamShel

Forum Probie
Hello Biggs and congrats,

I am also starting the academy next month but this is not my first EMS job so maybe I can attempt to help. So you ask what are 12 hour shifts? Well that's a simple answer in theory- basically an employee will work a scheduled shift for 12 hours (7am-7pm) and in many cases will have the following day off, so forth and so on. Many agencies will require employees to work two or three 12 hour shifts over the course of two or three days and then the following two or three will be off days. I hope that helps.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Unless they have changed it, the 12 hour shift rotation at IEMS for a two week period would be work MT, off WTh, work FSS, off MT, work WTh, off FSS. (They also have a very small number of 24 hour shifts. They work 24 on, 48 off, with a kelly day on their long week.)

From what I have heard about their academy, it's a lot like EMT class. They are going to go over pretty much everything, and how they expect you to do it. There's also mandatory PT. The last I heard, they were doing CrossFit for that.

I live in the area, and know several people that work there, so if you have any other questions, I can try to see what I can find out for you.

SamShel

Forum Probie
They are cutting the "PT" portion out- and instead implementing a more work oriented physical training approach e.g. lifting and bending (all in uniform). Insurance does not cover off site PT so that are doing away with it. Everything sounds wonderful though