Ideas for practical jokes

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
My partner were conversing the other day about this student we currently have and would like to play a practical joke. Not really sure what to do though??
Ne1 have any good ideas for us. We were thinking about made up diseases, taking a temporal pulse on a pt. Nething would go that would be funny but not of course nothing that would compromise pt care or doing something to the unit or equipment.

Thank ya

Merry Christmas everyone!!

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
when I first started, I was still a student. what the crew I was with did to me, was they got a board, collar, straps, CID, and rescue rope. put me on the board, hung me from the ceiling and left me there for a run (giving me a push on thier way by. <_< ) I have been trying to pull that on someone for a while. maybe you could do it...:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Dec 20 2004, 09:47 PM
when I first started, I was still a student. what the crew I was with did to me, was they got a board, collar, straps, CID, and rescue rope. put me on the board, hung me from the ceiling and left me there for a run (giving me a push on thier way by. <_< ) I have been trying to pull that on someone for a while. maybe you could do it...:)
Nah, you just stand the board behind the local FD's tanker and hit the dump valve.

Or you strip them to skivvies and run them, board and all, up the flagpole

-tell the newbie that he needs to know how it feels like to be the patient

Oh, and PARESCUEEMT, I guess you and I had the same preceptors :eek: .......

Jon

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
Not really a prank but a good learning lesson....We had to be straped to a board with c-collar and headbead and then be put on the cot thrown in the back of the truck and then driven around the back country roads making sure that every bump a sharp curve was taken. This was a great tool for learning what it is like to be the patient in the back.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Back when I was a lifeguard, I was one of a couple teachers, so I was the patient for a practice session. I was collared and strapped to a board in-water. The students then had to lift me out of the pool... and yes, you guessed it, they dropped me. There's nothing as frightening as being underwater and not being able to move your arms and legs. Luckily my co-instructor was a big strong guy who grabbed the board before it was out of reach and pulled my head out of the water. It was a good lesson in "what not to do"!

PS - Don't try to drown the probies.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
practical jokes, ummmm, let's see where do we begin

1. the call while eating, I pulled this on my old partner on his first shift, (no pager) I waited until he ordered his food, made up some reason to go outside, then came running back in, yelling we've gotta go, (insert made up emergency here) I guess the restaurant has had this happen before, because they started laughing, so I waited until he had cancelled his order, and gotten his money, and was running out the door to tell him there was no call

2. if you have someone who just "collapses" into bed after a call, this one works well, take victims sheets off, put backboard/plywood/what ever you have on top of mattress, and remake bed, it's kinda funny at 0 dark 30.

3. I wouldn't reccommend this one, but it involves bottle rockets, smoke bombs, and 0 dark 30

4. if it's with another crew, throw on all their lights/sirens, radios all the way up, exhaust fan, suction, back lights, etc... everything comes on as they get into their rig at 0 dark 30

5. unlock the stretcher, close the door

6. put their seats as close to the dash as they go

7. hazardous for the crew, but has been done before: Armorall the bench seat in the back

8. I'm not going into the specimen cups from the ER

the list goes on, but you can use your imagination.... BTW, I didn't say any of this, if you get caught

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Dec 21 2004, 09:34 PM
practical jokes, ummmm, let's see where do we begin

1. the call while eating, I pulled this on my old partner on his first shift, (no pager) I waited until he ordered his food, made up some reason to go outside, then came running back in, yelling we've gotta go, (insert made up emergency here) I guess the restaurant has had this happen before, because they started laughing, so I waited until he had cancelled his order, and gotten his money, and was running out the door to tell him there was no call

2. if you have someone who just "collapses" into bed after a call, this one works well, take victims sheets off, put backboard/plywood/what ever you have on top of mattress, and remake bed, it's kinda funny at 0 dark 30.

3. I wouldn't reccommend this one, but it involves bottle rockets, smoke bombs, and 0 dark 30

4. if it's with another crew, throw on all their lights/sirens, radios all the way up, exhaust fan, suction, back lights, etc... everything comes on as they get into their rig at 0 dark 30

5. unlock the stretcher, close the door

6. put their seats as close to the dash as they go

7. hazardous for the crew, but has been done before: Armorall the bench seat in the back

8. I'm not going into the specimen cups from the ER

the list goes on, but you can use your imagination.... BTW, I didn't say any of this, if you get caught
Armorall - yep. Been there, done that - not nice finishing the last minute into the hospital crammed into the curbside door stepwell. but the medic almost wet himself when he saw it happen.

Course what was better was when my partner was armorall-ing the steering wheel (yeah - HE was driving), and he got enough on the radio that he couldn't key it up, his thumb kept slipping off the PTT. - Funny as sh*t. :lol: B) :p :lol:

Oh, and the other 0 dark 30 trick (or when they pass out in the middle of the day) is to put LOTS of 2-3 inch wide tape on the outside of their bunkroom door (think spiderweb). THEN, either hit the tones, test the plectron, or just page them to go to the Supervisor's office, STAT, and watch them run out of the bunkroom and get caught. :D :eek: :lol:

Of course, for the ParaGOd's - nitro paste on the keyboard, or the door handles is a mean trick, as is viscous lidocane, but for different reasons.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Dec 23 2004, 07:33 AM
Of course, for the ParaGOd's - nitro paste on the keyboard, or the door handles is a mean trick, as is viscous lidocane, but for different reasons.
Dangerous too.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Dec 23 2004, 10:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Dec 23 2004, 10:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Dec 23 2004, 07:33 AM
Dangerous too. [/b][/quote]
yeah ... the lido is less so, but still a BAD idea to mess with your driver / partner.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Dec 23 2004, 08:33 AM
Course what was better was when my partner was armorall-ing the steering wheel (yeah - HE was driving), and he got enough on the radio that he couldn't key it up, his thumb kept slipping off the PTT. - Funny as sh*t. :lol: B) :p :lol:
Okay... I armor-alled the dash with the wipes. And since I had it on my hands, THAT'S why I had trouble with the mic.

Jon, you wouldn't know. you only got in about 30 mins late that day... or was it later.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT+Dec 25 2004, 02:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PArescueEMT @ Dec 25 2004, 02:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Dec 23 2004, 08:33 AM
Okay... I armor-alled the dash with the wipes. And since I had it on my hands, THAT'S why I had trouble with the mic.

Jon, you wouldn't know. you only got in about 30 mins late that day... or was it later. [/b][/quote]
yeah, but still, gives everone else a good Idea. Also reminds me of the one time (At band camp) I was bagging a patient, and next thing I knew I was headfirst into the curbside door step-well. poor guy doing compressions almost pissed himself.

MassMedic1052

Forum Probie
This might be a little bit over the edge but get your hands on a speculum<sp?> and when u have a female pt with abd pain take it out and hand it to the student and tell him to commence an exam and see their faces LOL

ROFL
Sorry I'm kinda twisted

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MassMedic1052@Dec 28 2004, 09:48 PM
This might be a little bit over the edge but get your hands on a speculum<sp?> and when u have a female pt with abd pain take it out and hand it to the student and tell him to commence an exam and see their faces LOL

ROFL
Sorry I'm kinda twisted
If I were that pt I'd have both of your licenses yanked. That sort of thing to a woman is like talking to a guy about kicking him in the family jewels. :blink:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
While sickeningly funny, in a gallows humor way, i.e. the dead baby jokes post SIDS, I don't I could ever rationalize doing something like that to a patient, jokes should be among the crew, however if it was a rookie that you just got done spider strapping to the board, it could be kinda funny, I guess......

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Luno@Dec 29 2004, 08:48 PM
While sickeningly funny, in a gallows humor way, i.e. the dead baby jokes post SIDS, I don't I could ever rationalize doing something like that to a patient, jokes should be among the crew, however if it was a rookie that you just got done spider strapping to the board, it could be kinda funny, I guess......
espicially 2 male rookies as provider and patient. :unsure: :blink: <_<

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Okay, that's getting funnier, check your PM for a post SIDS joke......... It's just not appropriate here.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
simple ones include:

taking 90 degree turns at a high rate of speed Non-Emergency (dinner run)

leaving the hospital and not slowing for the speed bumps

lock the probie out of the truck and leave them at the hospital, then pick them up after the next call saying "why weren't you in the truck? I/we could've used your help on that one" (best if you are leaving for another call from the hosp. that will be coming back to the same ED)

rescuecpt

Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Dec 30 2004, 10:46 PM
I've had that one done to me. Pretty funny... just make sure they're not standing before you start otherwise you could really get hurt... I was sitting in the jump seat next to the cabinet... and I swear while my body didn't move the whole box did - I got smacked in the head with the cabinet - I was laughing so hard they thought I was going to hyperventilate and pass out.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Dec 31 2004, 10:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Dec 31 2004, 10:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PArescueEMT@Dec 30 2004, 10:46 PM
I've had that one done to me. Pretty funny... just make sure they're not standing before you start otherwise you could really get hurt... I was sitting in the jump seat next to the cabinet... and I swear while my body didn't move the whole box did - I got smacked in the head with the cabinet - I was laughing so hard they thought I was going to hyperventilate and pass out. [/b][/quote]
A development out here put in "speed humps" one day, and forgot to let the FD know. luckily it was the middle of the day and only the 2 paid guys were on the engine when they went flying down the road for the AFA. from what I heard, they launched the truck, and were lucky, because they were both up front and belted in, not trying to pack up in the back. they apparently dropped 2 folds of hose from the bed, and an axe and the halligan's brackets sheared and they bounced around the tool compartment. The street is residential, next to a corprate park, and our closest access to the park. the development's residents b*tched and moaned enough to get the speed humps. the road could take 45+ mph, and they wanted 15. now with the humps, you are lucky to do 5-8

Oh, and I don't think the rear axle liked it, either,

Jon

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
If you want to be REALLY mean to just one person then sneak into their car and use a thin coat of KY on everything they touch....steering wheel, shifter(really great if it is a stick shift) and hell do the radio controls and heat and do the door handles too, it is priceless to stand back and watch when they get ready to leave especially after a rough 24 shift. you can also do this in the rig but be carefull that boss man isn't around! Using armourall on the bench seat works well too....I know because I have ended up on the floor after my partner decided it would be funny! Pt thought it was too, she is a regular for dialysis so she loved it! ;)