ICE - In Case of Emergency

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
Anyone heard of this? I'm a new EMT, no experience other than my ride-along, so wanted to see if EMS responders actually do this:

"Apparently this is a standard procedure paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'
We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call..
Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.
The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency).
The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'
For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

A great idea that will make a difference!
Let'S spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number (2 is better) in our Mobile phones today!
Please forward this . It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this . It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest . ICE will speak for you when you are not able to."

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It's been mentioned on here a few times over the years. I remember talking about it in 2004 and 2005 when it first came about.

Most EMTs/Medics won't waste their time with using the ICE numbers on scene, but they may be used by the hospital staff once there.

Adz

Forum Crew Member
If the accident is bad enough to need an ICE number we usually won't be wasting time looking for cell phones. Unless they are in the patients pocket and remain there all the way to the hospital, the PD or SO will probably be the ones using them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The one time I went through a cell phone to get in contact with a patients family was after we were already in the hospital, and I didn't look for ICE. I looked for "mom", "dad", variations of those, or whoever the most recent call was,.

I wont waste time on a call looking through a patients phone, I have other stuff to be doing.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I kind of do this - I have an iPhone, and I photoshopped my wallpaper/background image with an overlayed

In Case Of Emergency
WifesNameHere
XXX-XXX-XXXX

My phone is locked with a passcode (corporate policy, I couldn't change it if I wanted to), so you won't be getting into my phone book, but anyone can see the wallpaper, and you can make an emergency call.

djm0219

Forum Probie
The last phone I got has a section at the top of the contact list devoted to emergency information including contacts and a place to add notes (such as allergies, medical history, medications etc).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nope, I don't bother with it. Let the hospital deal with it. If they're bad enough off to not be able to talk to me, I'm gonna be a little busy. If PD wants to look, they're more than welcome to as well

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
I have an ICE number in my phone, but as everyone has stated -- if the incident is bad enough that we need the ICE number, we probably won't look for it. That the hospitals job, not mine.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Considering there are hundreds of different phones and a phone might be locked/damaged etc no one likely will look through it during initial rescue. Now if you are founded on a street with no wallet and pd can't id you they will then try to look through your phone for that reason.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What's the legal perspective on this? Is it the same as looking at/through the wallet for contact info?

skills82

Forum Crew Member
Blackberry has an ICE app that has contact info, medications, and medical history on it. Its a nice and easy app. I have it and you never know when it might be needed.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd like to take a moment to ask all of you to register an account with smart911.com for you and your family. Many 911 systems are moving to this safe and secure solution that allows you to store your complete medical histories and information that can be accessed by emergency personnel.

http://info.smart911.com/

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Blackberry has an ICE app that has contact info, medications, and medical history on it. Its a nice and easy app. I have it and you never know when it might be needed.

Just hope that your phone is not broken, is on you/next to you when you're founded and emergency crew have time/knowledge how to use it. Not to mention they actually need to know to look for the program on your phone.

threesevenkilo

Forum Probie
I kind of do this - I have an iPhone, and I photoshopped my wallpaper/background image with an overlayed

In Case Of Emergency
WifesNameHere
XXX-XXX-XXXX

My phone is locked with a passcode (corporate policy, I couldn't change it if I wanted to), so you won't be getting into my phone book, but anyone can see the wallpaper, and you can make an emergency call.

Good move. I have done the same with my blackberry except it says "please contact xxx-xxx-xxxx if phone is found or in case of an emergency."

What's the legal perspective on this? Is it the same as looking at/through the wallet for contact info?

I myself am somewhat curious about that. I can't see why it would not be the same as a going through the wallet like you said

Is this available on BBappworld? I've searched it a couple times to no avail.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
IMHO, EMS is there to package and transport to the ER.

The hospital is there for notifications to next of kin.

ICE was a cultural thing, now some phones even have a pre-programed ICE slot...

Think about it, how often is the patient unable to call someone within a few hours anyway ?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
My phone is locked with a passcode (corporate policy, I couldn't change it if I wanted to), so you won't be getting into my phone book

Same here. I just carry a card in my wallet with my fiancee's contact info, my allergies, my medical history and medications. If I'm not in my house, I have the wallet with me so no reason to bother with this "ICE" crap.

MiniEMTP

Forum Ride Along
Identification

at this point, if the PT isn't competent or conscious, it's implied consent to treat. it's a form of identification, and if the PT is a minor, someone needs to be contacted anyway.

I don't think it's a violation of any HIPPA privacy acts or anything, and everybody including law enforcement encourages an ICE number.
it looks something like this:

ICE - MOM or /Name

if they aren't in their right mind to call someone to let them know they're okay, it's our job to find out where they belong I would think?:unsure:

MedicOut

Forum Ride Along
I thought I would resurrect this post as I am doing a presentation for a college course (Pre-PA, baby!) on this subject and would like to ask my fellow medics and EMT's a few questions....

1) How many of you have an ICE contact or app on your cell?

2) In my experience, it is the police officers that end up with the cell phone on a scene. Have any of you had an officer come to you with information they have obtained from an ICE contact or medical information obtained from a cell phone?

3) I am especially interested in accounts where a patient's cell phone has been pivotal in the care of a critically ill or injured patient. Obviously, we are usually too busy on scene to even think about looking at a cell phone, but I have seen nurses looking through a patient's cell in the emergency department.

Some of you might be happy to know that I have also educated my fellow students (in graphic detail) on the importance of a DNR or advanced directive for Grandma or Grandpa.

I look forward to your replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Think the scenario through

Push ICE, someone answers, you say "Hi, I'm a paramedic on Hwy I-5, someone with a cell phone had your number as an "In case of emergency" number, and we are supposed to be taking care of him. Gotta go, we are going to the hospital now" or give a blow by blow of a resuscitation?? Leave notifications to LE or ER. Besides the phone may be evidence, or get lost.

Since getting on chronic serious prescription drugs, I sent away for two dogtag style "luggage tags", a chain and a little chain to hold the tags together. One has my name & phone, MD, and medical conditions, the other has name, phone, meds and what NOT to give me. MEDIC ALERT: $63. These dogtags: $6 plus shipping, maybe $8 total. And my granddaughter loves to play with them.