I want to run some questions before I ask my services management

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I was just hired on as a paid shift emt for a paid/volunteer service, I am paid for a 48 shift and because of were I live, 50 miles away from ambulance base, I would be staying at the base or within 4 minutes of it at all times wile on duty. Every one else would be responding from their homes.
My first question:
I am planning on wearing a uniform of some kind, I personally would feel better in a more of a class a uniform, but with the rest of my crew responding form home would this degrade the professionalism of my crew member thus losing their respect and compromising theirs with the patient? So would I be better off with a class a uniform or more of a professional looking t-shirt (we don’t have any unit apparel) both with ems pants.
Second question:
Would it be appropriate if I was to leave the base to put a small dash light up and if I get a call use that or just use my cars flasher and work my way back to the base?

I’ve looked at the other treads on uniform and also on pov lights and I was unable to find the answers I was looking for. I do plan on asking my management these questions but I thought I would get some others responses to these questions.
thanks

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
uniforms:
the standard answer is wear what your company either issues or requires. if they have no requirement, then its up to you. a significant portion of the membership here will tell you if you want to be viewed as a professional, you have to wear a uniform. while i see where they are coming from, i disagree. your clothing should without a doubt always maintain the decorum of the job. but that doesnt necessarily mean a button down uni shirt etc. definite no-no's are open toes shoes, racial, sexual, alcohol/drug related t-shirts, dirty clothing, etc. merely because i would prefer not to get the bodily fluids of another person on my streets, i would wear emt style pants and at the very least a service t-shirt. a corps polo would be nice and yes, you could of course wear the buttondown. shoes should be closed and appropriate(multi color sneakers are a no go) and in serviceable condition, but dont have to be overpriced emt specials.

i have been a patient in an ambulance more than once and i can honestly say i couldnt have cared less what my medics were wearing. some disagree with this view point but to each his own. your best bet is to talk with your house captain or chief and find out what they want and what is common amongst the members.

as far as lights, the use of such is WELL DISCUSSED on this board. with a little more reading, you'll find ten borings shifts worth of reading on the matter. the short answer is some are for and some are(violently) against them. if your jurisdiction requires a permit(and most do) and your chief issues them(some do some dont) well then its up to you. seriously though, theres a hundred threads on this. its gets brought up every week.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Second question:
Would it be appropriate if I was to leave the base to put a small dash light up and if I get a call use that or just use my cars flasher and work my way back to the base?

Non-soap box answer:

Its highly dependent on location and service. Not all areas allow emergency lights (be it a full emergency package or otherwise) on POVs, not all services allow emergency lights, and not all insurance companies allow emergency lights on POVs. Make sure that all three say yes, unless you want to find yourself in trouble with the law/service/insurance company respectively. If you're an employee paid to respond immediately, why not just take the ambulance to go eat? (yes, I see a difference between someone who isn't tied to an ambulance (be it paid or otherwise) and someone not tied to an ambulance using the ambulance to run errands).

semi-soap box answer: The benefit:risk ration with a properly marked, fully equipped emergency vehicle is tenuous at best. Generally the time saved is minimal enough to not matter (Question to Mass. EMT-Bs: What's with running lights and sirens on the freeways anyways? Half the time I see it the units being passed by cars anyways), or not worth the risk of the crew.
l.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
if the guys and girls that you work with get mad because you dress better than them, then they have some issues. trust me they won't notice or care. the light...won't save you any time, but it will make you look cool getting there going the speed limit.;)

skyemt

Forum Captain
now, a more informed answer about lights....

most of the time, they would not save me any time, so those opinions are really correct...

however, summer weekend gridlock, people courteous enough to let me through... i am not talking about saving two minutes, i'm talking about 10-15...
not talking about speeding or even exceeding speed limits... just a question of moving versus gridlock.

so, i guess it depends on where you live... but the blanket statements about them not mattering are just not correct. sorry.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as others feelings about what you wear on shift, too bad. Think of it this way, instead of them insisting you come down to their level, perhaps you will raise the bar for them

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you are supposed to stay within 4 minutes of your base, you're not far away. At the most a couple of stopsigns and a red light down the street to a store or restaurant. A light isn't likely to make a difference. I don't think it would be worth the hassel or liability.

You are being paid by a service to work on the ambulance, you need to look like the professional I'm sure you want to be. I'm surprised they don't have a uniform requirement. You should discuss this with the chief or boss. Personally I think black boots or shoes, emt pants and white button shirt with epaulets. Yes I know it may not be as comfy as a tee shirt or polo, but I think it looks more professional. I like white as it does show the dirt and other peoples fluids where as dark shirts do not. I want to know if I'm wearing something that belongs to someone else. Also I do not want to look like a cop. I want the pi@#ed off guy in the dark hallway to know exactly who may lock him up and who is there to help.

Just my opinion.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Blend in until you've earned their respect or awe.

Look laundered, neatly shorn and shaven or trimmed, smell clean, and polish your shoes. Bring spare clothes. Be three minutes away, and bring money to buy into a pizza or sushi or whatever. Maybe you can sneak in a company logo windbreaker. Use the lightbar money to make sure your can will run reliably and get you there in three, er, four minutes.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Uniform - well... it depends what the service issues/requires. Where I work, some of the volunteers wear button-down uniforms, some where jumpsuits on calls.

If the service doesn't issue uniforms - look at what the other crewmembers wear, or a little better. If blue jeans are the norm - either GOOD dark blue jeans (Levi's or similar) or ****ies.

In PA, it isn't uncommon to see an EMT wearing a T-shirt that has the state patch on the front breast and "EMT" on the back in big letters. These are common, unofficial summer uniforms at some transport companies... and they sometimes show up at my work when our uniform shirts get dirty or it is REALLY hot out. They aren't great, but they aren't "absolut EMT" either.

As for the "within 4 minutes" - Both my Vollie station and paid station have a "squad" vehicle that can be used for errands, as well as to assist the ambulance with manpower when needed. At work, when our daytime EMT is partnered with a volunteer who is running from home, the paid EMT will take the squad to go get lunch. If there is a call, he drives back to station to get the ambulance, using the emergency lights if he needs to.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Uniform - well... it depends what the service issues/requires. Where I work, some of the volunteers wear button-down uniforms, some where jumpsuits on calls.

quote]
wow wow wow...wait a minute...you guys get jumpsuits? i am definitely sending in a request for that tomorrow morning. Imagine all the time i can save!!!:p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

quote]
wow wow wow...wait a minute...you guys get jumpsuits? i am definitely sending in a request for that tomorrow morning. Imagine all the time i can save!!!:p
Only the vollies. The paid staff wears button down shirts.

skyemt

Forum Captain
if they have a policy on what to wear, follow it...

if not, look professional, but like you are still part of the same agency.

if you are worried about fitting in, stop focusing on what you are wearing, and think about how you will treat the others... your goal should be to avoid contention because you are "paid" and let everyone know it... fit in, treat your crew with respect, ask for opinions, and then collect your paycheck.

really take a look at how you want to interact with those who will not be paid, and think about how if it were reversed, what would make you respect someone who was paid if you were not...

just my two cents...

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
thanks plenty of good ideas, i am still waiting on a reply from my manangement but all ideas seem well. i am not sure i could take the ambulance out to do any store runs, because being only 19 i am not covered to drive, but my auto coverage would cover lights but i am not sure about the practicality of them in my situation, i think just 4 way flashers would work, but i not sure.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i think just 4 way flashers would work, but i not sure.
they'll work...trust me you could be in a ladder truck runnig code 3 and people still don't get out of the way.