I want the "EMT LIFE"

Tunalik

Forum Ride Along
First of all I would like to thank you for reading this. I'm aware that there are probably hundreds of threads like this one, and I probably should have read more of them. But I am just so happy to have found this forum and ready to dive into conversation with you guys.

My name is Jonathan, and I am an 18-year-old senior a month away from graduating. I have been interested in the realm of public service and safety (particularly EMS/firefighting) for some time now. I encounter several ambulances daily as I drive past two major hospitals on my way to school everyday, and I can't help but think to myself, "Wouldn't it be awesome to be riding around in one of those, responding to calls, and helping people."

Although I haven't had the slightest experience, I can see myself falling into a career of this caliber. Let me add that aside from googling pictures of ambulances and watching hundreds of interviews, I haven't done as much research as I should have. That's partially the reason I am here. I know nothing of the training required and what all the different abbreviations mean.

For a while, my plan has been to attend technical school to acquire my basic EMT degree/credit/certificate/license/whatever, and just see where that would take me. I do know however that I want to end up at the highest tier, which I believe is H3 Fire/Paramedic.

Very recently I have also been enlightened and interested in the Navy. It looks like a great option for me, from every perspective (mostly financial). I played on their website for a little and noticed that they have their own Fire/EMT jobs, as well as Corpsman. I'm not too savvy on the difference between the two. And until I'm in the Navy I won't know whether or not I'd like to make a career out of it or come back to the civilian world to continue my work as an EMT.

That's pretty much it. What you have read is where I am at in my thoughts. If you have made it this far I thank you sincerely and any of your advice and wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There was literally a thread started on this today. Here:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=39637

Also, I'll paste a response I wrote a week or two ago on the same topic:

EMS can be a good gig, but you have to go into it with the right mindset and without misconceptions.

EMS is not a bunch of heroes screeching through town to save some poor soul from certain death.

We're not heroes; we're just like anybody else. I'm not being modest, I'm being truthful.

Sirens are not an adrenaline rush. They're annoying and extremely dangerous, to both you and to other drivers on the road.

I've been a paramedic for 5 years working 911 in a very large, busy city. I can count on one hand the number of lives I've saved, that would have likely died had EMS not been on scene. I have become quite accustomed to prolonging death just long enough to get somebody to the hospital, only to have them not walk out.

You will likely not be financially comfortable, especially without working considerable overtime. It will be even more difficult as an EMT. As a paramedic, there are jobs that pay well, though you may have to move to find them. Do not expect to live lavishly unless you marry into money.

A recent hot-topic lately has been the high number of EMTs and Paramedics suffering from mental illnesses. Many members of EMS suffer (often undiagnosed) from depression, anxiety, and PTSD. It seems there have been a rash of suicides lately as well, though I wonder if the frequency is unchanged and they're just being reported more readily. Alcoholism is not uncommon, nor are a number of other unhealthy coping mechanisms. The cliché is that people call us on the worst days of their lives. While not always true, it does point out that we are typically not called out to celebrate somebody's anniversary. You will see things that will dishearten you, change how you look at people, warp your sense of humor, and make you generally cold-hearted and callous. Stress accumulation is expected; it is imperative that you find a healthy means of managing it. I'm not going to touch the seeker comment above, but that shouldn't even register on your stress scale, especially as a Basic that doesn't even have pain medication available.

Another reason people don't typically stay long in EMS is injuries- specifically back injuries. After several years of picking up grandpa, or removing the morbidly obese lady from the bathroom, or transferring people from the stretcher to the hospital bed, your back will not be happy with you. Proper lifting mechanics are highly encouraged, but not always possible. Staying fit is important to stave off back injuries, but the majority overlook fitness as they pull into McDonalds to scarf down a quick lunch in between calls- which brings up the next point. Back injuries aren't the only thing you will experience that's detrimental to your physical health. A very large number in EMS have very poor diets while on shift. If you're in a system that posts on street corners, it takes a conscious effort to pack a healthy meal instead of throwing down fast food at every post. I challenge you to keep count of the number of obese EMS providers you see on the ambulances (hint: good luck not losing count). Sleep is another issue not to be overlooked. If you work 24hr shifts, good luck having any kind of normal sleep schedule. I am constantly battling my circadian rhythm, and my body hates me for it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some burnt out medic that only sees the negative. For the most part, I still very much enjoy what I do.* EMS can be very rewarding. I don't go to work hoping to save anyone's life; I do go into work hoping to make somebody's bad day a little better. That alone can be very rewarding. If I can ease somebody's pain, make them feel a little less sick, or even merely comfort their fears, I'll leave that run feeling good. If you're like me and medicine is your forte, the challenging medical runs can be quite exciting (prehospital trauma becomes fairly repetitive and boring). I also love not being constrained by an office, and not having a supervisor be able to breathe down my neck. There's also the benefit of not knowing what's going to be coming next, which really helps fight off some of the monotony. I'm also fairly stress-free thanks to running and my previously existent apathy.

To summarize, EMS can be a great job. Don't go in expecting to save lives or make a lot of money. Go in hoping to make someones day a little better than before you got there. Be safe when driving with lights and sirens; the extra minute you save is not worth the your life, or the life of your partners or a bystander's. Find a healthy means of alleviating stress, and don't be afraid to talk to somebody if your stress begins to build. Make a concerted effort to keep yourself physically healthy. If you're not sure if the job is for you, find a nearby volunteer or ambulance service and ask to do some ride-outs to shadow. You can see if the type of work is something you'd enjoy. I hadn't intended to belabor, so I apologize for the lengthy read. Hopefully it gave you some bit of insight. Best of luck to you.

*Ambition and coworkers are preventing me from saying I absolutely love what I do.

And if you're still reading, there are several former army medics and navy corpsmen on this site that may be able to chime in. I run into a lot of military medics where I work (most/all of the military medics going through paramedic school ride out with my FD). Most have nothing but good things to say about their experience as military medics.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. There is no universal established career ladder in EMS. Some places require one certification before tackling another, other places don't. Make a goal, learn the prereqs, then make a plan (perhaps with school/comm college counselor help). Aim realistically high, don't baby step if your tests show you can do something.

2. It was fun riding in an ambulance. My dog used to get as much fun from riding in my pickup with the window down. About as important either way.

3. If you want a certain career field in the armed forces (and shop them all), make sure your enlistment has guaranteed job, not just guaranteed training.

OP
OP
T

Tunalik

Forum Ride Along
STXmedic thank you for exposing me to some of the cold truths. I can honestly say that I've encountered almost all of those from some interviews I've seen. I appreciate your response and I hope you will remain interested in enlightening me. Because (for the time being) I believe this is really what I want to do, I am eager to learn. Hopefully some of the military medics on this forum you're talking about will show up.

mycrofft thanks for your response as well. From here I will definitely dive into the local requirements and all of the different positions available.

I'll also make a habit of this forum. I'm no less than sure I will be back with REAL questions for you guys. Thank you, genuinely.

zachogden

Forum Ride Along
I may be biased but go be a .mil medic. Pay/benefits are better, training is paid for, and if you hate it you can change rate/MOS or decline to re-enlist when your times up. Just make sure your rate/MOS is guaranteed in writing in your contract

OP
OP
T

Tunalik

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. I am very much leaning towards military medic life before working EMS in the civilian world. Let's say I did that, then I would come out with the training and any required certifications correct? At least for basic? If so then that is very good news for me as I would get little to no financial support from anywhere basically should I go straight to college out of high school. This is why I am so avid to join the military.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
Transferability of military training re Medic (ie. 68W in the Army) is often limited as there are obvious paralells between EMS and Army CLS / Medic training, but there are also great yawning-chasms of difference as well that cause said limitations.

That being said, every service has their own protocol and will (ideally) be respectful of prior service / experience in EMS, be it from the military or elsewhere.

If the military lifestyle appeals to you, I would go that route first. You have far better chances of qualifying for uniformed service at a young age, and 68W is always open in the Army MOS listings. I would contact several local recruiters and make sure you're getting a reputable NCO before making any trips to your local MEPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
web_afg_040407_001.jpg

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Military is always a good choice if you are cut out for it. After you get out, it is usually easier to be hired by a better department due to veterans points on the test and all that good stuff.

Our line medics were great when needed, but when not doing your job in combat (which I pray you will not have to do) you will be an infantryman. Won't speak for other branches except for the Army. If you do not end up as a line medic, you will be stuck in sick call everyday doing stuff that probably doesn't involve using medic skills at all. Pretty much just triage from what I have seen. Good luck in whatever you decide is best.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
Exactly correct; you'll be taking care of '5th squad' or 'Sick Call Rangers' all day long and likely working at an aid station. Not to discredit anyone serving in those roles whatsoever, but it's likely not what they were picturing when they signed up for that MOS.

If possible, build Airborne into your contract and make sure you SEE it in writing - but you're going to need a pretty kick butt APFT & ASVAB score prior to enlistment to garner that contract option.

Any way you can distinguish yourself thru rank, schools, or qualification will give you a leg up over peers to get closer to the application of CLS skills that it sounds like you're looking for (OP).

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
APFT and ASVAB will not hinder your chances of getting the Airborne option in your contract. As long as you pass the Airborne physical at MEPS and they have slots for it (which they usually do) its not a big deal. I had a med waiver so I wasnt allowed to get it in my contract, but I earned Airborne and a RIP slot while in OSUT.

Anjel

Forum Angel
There was literally a thread started on this today. Here:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=39637

Also, I'll paste a response I wrote a week or two ago on the same topic:

And if you're still reading, there are several former army medics and navy corpsmen on this site that may be able to chime in. I run into a lot of military medics where I work (most/all of the military medics going through paramedic school ride out with my FD). Most have nothing but good things to say about their experience as military medics.

Impressive. It was in essay format and everything.

OP
OP
T

Tunalik

Forum Ride Along
Is 88 a decent Asvab score? At this point I really have Navy Corpsman in my sights if I am going to do anything in the military and come back out to be an EMT.

One question I do have in that specific regard that I think I posted originally is what would be the pros/cons of doing fire/ems within the navy and being a corpsman in the navy?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
88 is a very good score.

First of all I was never in the Navy, BUT I do know that getting a firefighting job in the military is honestly slim to none. They are contracting out to civilian fire departments. So your only real option is to be a corpsman if the Navy is what you are dead set on. A corpsman will either be in a line unit with the Marines serving as a medic, or stuck on a boat treating the day to day sicknesses. Also, I am pretty sure if you are stuck on a boat you can volunteer to be one of the ships "firefighters". Which only means that added to your medic duties you will train and do drills in case of a fire on board. So you are not a firefighter, you are just volunteering to put out a fire on a ship if there happens to be one. I think there are a few former corpsman on here so hopefully they can fill you more in on the Navy side of things.

Overall the military will be a very good experience or a very bad experience, it just depends on your attitude. My advice to you is that if you do decide to enlist, sign up for the least amount of years they allow you to. That way if you hate it, you are not stuck in it for longer than you have to be, and if you love it you can just re-enlist.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I will answer to the best of my ability.

hebbymedic

Forum Ride Along
I went into the military as a medic and was honorably discharged due to kidney problems and not being able to deploy. The training was incredibly, incredibly intense compared to civilian side. It is very fast paced. Forget having a life. Forget having feelings. You will be trained to be amongst a team and in many ways less human. Do I regret joining? No. I only regret that my commander forced my separation against my request to stay. My kidneys later healed, and I could have deployed with my unit. But when you're in training, and with poor leadership, they don't give a crap what you want.

The military barracks, food and training is top notch for anyone doing medical stuff. I had an absolute blast at Fort Sam Houston and can't wait to go back to San Antonio one day.

I did, however, have to follow my training into a civilian school. None of it transferred. You will have to find a specific school that will allow you transfer credits (usually online schools) to get your AS, AAS, or AA degree- which is more credit hours than you will receive through your MOS training.

My post 911 bill covered my school and actually paid me every month. It was awesome.

If you want to hear it from someone who's been in, go into the military and let Uncle Sam take care of you and pay your way for a while. If you want your freedom, or you're not willing to suffer for your country and what it believes in with the War on Terror- don't join. It's not a free ride. It's not a free pass. It's not an easy button. It will shape you into a better person and give many things to advance you in life, but also take many things from you. Your friends. Your family. Your phone. Your clothes. Your right to pee when you want to. To eat when you want to. To brush your teeth when you want to. You will find instructor sergeants that don't care if you correct their misinformation in class and will make your life hell because you are smarter than them. No one wants your opinion. No one cares about you. And if you are lucky enough to find someone who does- it only goes so far because there's someone else up the chain that doesn't.

It will take you places. It will teach you the best in medicine. It will keep you focused, disciplined, healthy and mostly supported to achieve your goals. There will be obstacles, but if you keep your mind right and stay focused you can go very far. I also only signed a 3 year contract. 3 years isn't anything. Go for it.

alphamikefoxtrot

Forum Probie
Premium Member
APFT and ASVAB will not hinder your chances of getting the Airborne option in your contract. As long as you pass the Airborne physical at MEPS and they have slots for it (which they usually do) its not a big deal. I had a med waiver so I wasnt allowed to get it in my contract, but I earned Airborne and a RIP slot while in OSUT.

If they're over slotted for a training Co at Airborne they set a cutoff line using ASVAB & APFT w the 'real' Airborne minimums. But of course that's not 'official.'

OP
OP
T

Tunalik

Forum Ride Along
Thanks so much everyone for your responses.

To mycroft: the PJs are awesome.

Anyways, so over the past week or so I've been reading a lot about different military options and thinking about how/when I want to return to civilian life as an EMT.
Well I've read a LOT about how regardless of what your job is within the military or how extensive your training was, you will only return with an EMT-B, if at all. How true is this? I've also been thinking a lot about dropping everything and leaving for four years, and I'm not so sure about it anymore. Are the Reserve benefits the same for every branch? And how do those compare to that of the national guard? I have plenty more questions but since the forum's been down that's all I can remember for now. Thanks everyone.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The military is starting to put people through paramedic school, including making them NR paramedics. This is a very small number of medics, though. Most will just come out with their EMT.