I START MY EMT CLASS IN 1 WEEK!!! any advice?

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today has been THE BEST day of my life so far. At 6:30 this morning I went down to the ambulance building and met with my instructors and fellow classmates before I start my class next week. There are 4 of us now; 1 dropped entry into the program for no reason last Friday. So that means even more 1 on 1 time with the instructor

I was the first student to show up (I'm first to everything, usually) so I went in and had a look around at the ambulances, equipment and everything else. About 15 minutes after I got there the other students all came in in 1 group. I hate to be critical but that is goign to be 1 tough bunch to work with. Hard headed, obnoxious, egotistical, the works. I stood there for a minute getting to know them and took a second to create a mental profile of each of their personalities. Then our main instructor came in and told us who he was, what he was here for, etc. The subsequent openings of the front door brought our other instructors and staff.

After about an hour of yakking he directed us over to the office part of the building so the secretary could confirm all our info, etc. Next it was over to the uniform department to get our uniforms. Nothing fancy, just navy blue EMT pants, white button up shirt and a seat belt cutter in a pouch to go on our belts. Once everybody was ready they loaded us all up into a ford van and drove us to the hospital to get bloodwork and tox screening done. When we came back they paired up 2 students with 1 Medic and took us out in 2 separate ambulances to get a feel for things (we went out of service during this time). When we got back to the base we were released and told we could leave, but I stayed.

My instructor saw me still out in the bay looking over the new Braun SuperChiefXL and came out to ask me why I hadn't left yet. I said, "Well sir I was just checking out the unit I will be riding in whenever we do clinicals." He laughed and said, "So you think this is gonna be your unit, eh?" I said, "Well I don't see why not." He said, "Well, if you are going to be the student in charge of this rig, let's get you a lesson on its function and operation." I watched as he opened up the back doors and then flipped the power shutdown on the rig to make sure I didn't turn anything on. He said. "Step up in there, it's all yours" I jumped up in there and tore that thing a new one- every cabinet, compartment, and crevice got emptied out and looked over. After about half an hour I was done and then proceeded to put things back the way they were. So that was another lesson. All those years of Tetris finally came to be of help.

I was starved after we got things packed away again so I bid goodbye and dove into taco bell on the way home. I think I have already started to get used to my instructor. The others I'm not sure about though.

Back to the subject of the thread, do you guys have any advice for me concerning my course? Any help would mena the world to me. Thanks guys.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Not sure your of background, but for anyone who is used to post-secondary education, you need to quickly forget how to think critically. Well not really, but you need to take everything your told for face value, this is not a class to learn why, it is a class to learn how to. Think of it more like elementary school... you are learning how to with little (more like no) theory. Memorize what the correct answer is to the questions at the end of the chapter, those are the questions on the test. It may be frustrating to some of you, it is to me, but you will at least learn some basic skills.

Hockey

Quackers
Heres some advice

Shut up and listen

Don't be the annoying kid in class.

Seems to be lacking in the past few EMT classes I've helped out in.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Heres some advice

Shut up and listen

Don't be the annoying kid in class.

Seems to be lacking in the past few EMT classes I've helped out in.

Good point... don't be Mr. Know-It-All... that title is for the paramedics (lol). Don't ask a billion hypothetical questions that involve highly improbably scenarios that irritate the rest of the class and take up the little time you have for class anyway (by all means ask questions if you actually need assistance regarding what you are learning). Don't be the kid who shoves an NPA down his own nose. DON'T try to copy down the power point slides word for word, then when the slide changes shout "can you go back please" (the power point is a condensed version of the condensed version of a condensed book as it is... just read the chapters and outline from there if you need to). Read your chapter ahead of time... this way you do not need to ask what something is that everyone who did read already knows. If you sleep through class... drop the class! Do not argue with the instructor about why the answer "should have not been counted wrong". Do not turn in your Vital Signs practice sheet with a whole bunch of 98.6, 70, 16, 120/80 entries. ummm... anything else???

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
You really want some advice to help you succeed? Ok, you really need to try to calm down. I don't know you personally, but you've made several of these types of posts and it's pretty clear you're very eager to start your class. That's good, often eager students who want to learn make the best EMS providers, but don't catch an acute case of wackeritis. I've precepted several students like that who about go into SVT every time the tones drop and they end up being more of a danger than a help because they are so excited. Don't be that student. Just be calm. Sometimes it takes some time for the initial rush of excitement in using the flashy lights and whoop whoops to wear off. Every call in EMS is not your emergency and you have to always be level headed to be of any assistance. Even before BSI and scene safety comes you own preparedness. Always be collective and methodic, or your training will be worthless and you won't learn anything new in class.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today has been THE BEST day of my life so far. At 6:30 this morning I went down to the ambulance building and met with my instructors and fellow classmates before I start my class next week. There are 4 of us now; 1 dropped entry into the program for no reason last Friday. So that means even more 1 on 1 time with the instructor

I was the first student to show up (I'm first to everything, usually) so I went in and had a look around at the ambulances, equipment and everything else. About 15 minutes after I got there the other students all came in in 1 group. I hate to be critical but that is goign to be 1 tough bunch to work with. Hard headed, obnoxious, egotistical, the works. I stood there for a minute getting to know them and took a second to create a mental profile of each of their personalities. Then our main instructor came in and told us who he was, what he was here for, etc. The subsequent openings of the front door brought our other instructors and staff.

After about an hour of yakking he directed us over to the office part of the building so the secretary could confirm all our info, etc. Next it was over to the uniform department to get our uniforms. Nothing fancy, just navy blue EMT pants, white button up shirt and a seat belt cutter in a pouch to go on our belts. Once everybody was ready they loaded us all up into a ford van and drove us to the hospital to get bloodwork and tox screening done. When we came back they paired up 2 students with 1 Medic and took us out in 2 separate ambulances to get a feel for things (we went out of service during this time). When we got back to the base we were released and told we could leave, but I stayed.

My instructor saw me still out in the bay looking over the new Braun SuperChiefXL and came out to ask me why I hadn't left yet. I said, "Well sir I was just checking out the unit I will be riding in whenever we do clinicals." He laughed and said, "So you think this is gonna be your unit, eh?" I said, "Well I don't see why not." He said, "Well, if you are going to be the student in charge of this rig, let's get you a lesson on its function and operation." I watched as he opened up the back doors and then flipped the power shutdown on the rig to make sure I didn't turn anything on. He said. "Step up in there, it's all yours" I jumped up in there and tore that thing a new one- every cabinet, compartment, and crevice got emptied out and looked over. After about half an hour I was done and then proceeded to put things back the way they were. So that was another lesson. All those years of Tetris finally came to be of help.

I was starved after we got things packed away again so I bid goodbye and dove into taco bell on the way home. I think I have already started to get used to my instructor. The others I'm not sure about though.

Back to the subject of the thread, do you guys have any advice for me concerning my course? Any help would mena the world to me. Thanks guys.

Im not going to lie to you that comment is a little disturbing, try to remember this is EMT class not Survivor.

Last edited by a moderator:

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Study. Do the reading and you'll be fine. Start on your practical sheets early so you have them memorized by the time you get tested.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
My best advice would be don't restrict yourself to your textbook. Consider signing up for college level A&P, pharm, patho and Englsh (at the very least, do A&P), read a medical journal once in a while, write down what you do not understand and research it online (no Wikipedia, MD does not count!), see if you can spend a shift or two at the hospital (outside of the time you are required to) in ED/CCU/ICU observing/finding things out. Do SOMETHING so you don't become one of those people who knows nothing but what is written in his textbooks, which is great for the what and how but doesn't really go into the "why".

People are going to count on you with thier lives, they have media-driven expectations you can save the dead and know everything they are on about back to front! If they say to you "I am on a beta blocker which causes negative chronotropic and inotropic cardiac effects because I had an anterior acute myocardial infarction which required a 12 lead ECG, thrombolysis and a stent in the circumflex coronary artery" they expect you to go "ah yes that makes sense!" and understand what all that means ... if you look at them with the glazed over, salavating post-maloxon administration look they'll think "OMG this guy has no idea what he is on about? Why am I being treated by somebody who has no idea what is wrong with me?!!"

Best of luck and always strive to learn more! B)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hate to be critical but that is goign to be 1 tough bunch to work with. Hard headed, obnoxious, egotistical, the works. I stood there for a minute getting to know them and took a second to create a mental profile of each of their personalities.

You sound judgemental, drop the attitude because judgemental people are not needed in EMS. They probably thought the same thing about you.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant

Calm down and don't judge people, that will loose you all respect real quick

Start reading up on a&p that will help you alot

Hockey

Quackers
Im not going to lie to you that comment is a little disturbing, try to remember this is EMT class not Survivor.

I didn't even catch that.

Funny, you may think that about them, but they have probably a lot more they think about YOU

Wear the tin foil!

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I got some insightful advice from a friend before I started my class:

Don't puke.

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
Re: I START MY EMT CLASS IN 1 WEEK

I'm glad your eager to start, and excited about your new career.....

My tip to you is....READ, READ, READ!!!! Start working on your skills...it's very important....One of the things my instructor told us when I was in EMT school was...."80% of the calls that you'll get will be Medical Emergencies, the other 20% will be Trauma" Learn you medical emergencies like the back of your hand, it will help you when you take the National Exam.

Good luck!!!!

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<snipped>

Calm down and study hard.
Don't worry about your classmates.
Take it easy... concentrate and you'll do well.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I'm glad your eager to start, and excited about your new career.....

My tip to you is....READ, READ, READ!!!! Start working on your skills...it's very important....One of the things my instructor told us when I was in EMT school was...."80% of the calls that you'll get will be Medical Emergencies, the other 20% will be Trauma" Learn you medical emergencies like the back of your hand, it will help you when you take the National Exam.

Good luck!!!!

You didn't account for the B.S. :p

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I got some insightful advice from a friend before I started my class:

Don't puke.

Everyone pukes, just dont puke on me............or the patient. :)