I just discovered this

super_chris

Forum Probie
Just a little FYI, don't call an ambulance driver an ambulance driver. They're EMT's. I got guff for saying saying that my position was ambulance driver never call it an ambulance driver position, ITS EMT! Ha, I never knew it was somehow mildly derogatory.

Oh yeah. Never say someone is just an EMT.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm an EMT-B and work as an ambulance driver for a critical care transport service of the University of MD. My title is "Emergency Vehicle Operator", or "EVO" for short. There are some EVOs here that do not like to be referred to as a "driver". Personally, I feel that when my team introduces themselves to our patient, if I'm referred to as the "EVO", the pt. won't know what that means.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
in our service everyone drives. if it's a bls call, then the paramedic drives. i it's an als call, then the emt drives. if both of us are needed in the back, then a fire fighter drives.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
My basic or EMSD (driver) partners are never referred to by me as my driver. That'll just piss them off enough to just drive and not help, so they are my "partners" in every sense of the word. I can not do my job without them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Meh, I'd be more concerned with fighting for higher educational standards before I'd be concerned as to what someone refered to me as. Afterall, which do you think is worse for EMS, having us called "ambulance drivers" or the fact that the entry level is a 120 hour advanced first aid course (EMT-Basic)?