I have a question about the New York State EMT Basic Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
The card issued by the New York State Department of Health is paper.

If someone were to laminate it, would he or she be breaking any citeable Federal, State, or Local law ?

Would it be violating any citeable policy of any overseeing organization such as The US Dept. of Transportation. NYS DOH, NYC FD, REMSCO ?

Would it be incosistent to guidelines published by any organizational codes of conduct set forth by any assocation such as he NYS Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association ?

Or does any one have any anecdotal evidence of an incident where a person laminating a tech card was labled "that guy" ?

Thank you.

18G

Paramedic
I feel very confident in saying that your not gonna get cited for laminating your certification card. Our's in PA are hard plastic like a credit card now but I have laminated mine in the past. It protects it and keeps it from getting tattered and torn.

Unless it says on the card not to laminate like a social security card does then laminate away.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I feel very confident in saying that your not gonna get cited for laminating your certification card. Our's in PA are hard plastic like a credit card now but I have laminated mine in the past. It protects it and keeps it from getting tattered and torn.

Unless it says on the card not to laminate like a social security card does then laminate away.

Nowhere on the document is printed "DO NOT LAMINATE."

Thank you for replying to my thread.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Call the licensing agency and ask if you can laminate it.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Call the licensing agency and ask if you can laminate it.

Good Morning, Sasha,

Thank you for replying.

I had considered your idea of contacting the NYS DOH and asking, however, if it is, in fact, a violation of some sort to laminate a tech card, and they tell me, I can't invoke a viable "Oh, I did not know" defense if any enforcement action was taken on me.

Be careful out there.

18G

Paramedic
Do you honestly think the DOH is going to take time out of their day to really care who is laminating their certification cards or not?

I wouldn't waste too much of your time pondering this. If you want it laminated then laminate it. Who is gonna see it anyway besides you? And if someone does see it.... I highly doubt they are going to report you for having a laminated certification card. That would make them look like a complete idiot. And I highly doubt that the DOH is gonna track you down to investigate a case of a laminated certification card.

See how silly that sounds?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you honestly think the DOH is going to take time out of their day to really care who is laminating their certification cards or not?

I wouldn't waste too much of your time pondering this. If you want it laminated then laminate it. Who is gonna see it anyway besides you? And if someone does see it.... I highly doubt they are going to report you for having a laminated certification card. That would make them look like a complete idiot. And I highly doubt that the DOH is gonna track you down to investigate a case of a laminated certification card.

See how silly that sounds?

Thank you for candidly sharing your thoughts on the above.

The thing is, I try to minimize the amount of glass walls in my house in case one day I need to throw a few stones.

I never doubt the potential for someone on some authority to track me down to cite some law or rule.

Have'nt you ever watched The Rockford Files ?

And have'nt you ever heard of Murphy's Law (and I don;t mean the indie rock band) ?

18G

Paramedic
Do what you want but.. ummm... yeah.... I have had my social security card laminated for about 15yrs (did it before I realized it said not to laminate it...ha) and no government agents have ever shown up.

So I think you are safe but do what you want.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Do what you want but.. ummm... yeah.... I have had my social security card laminated for about 15yrs (did it before I realized it said not to laminate it...ha) and no government agents have ever shown up.

So I think you are safe but do what you want.

Hey again.

Well, there is a difference between a professional credential one earns and one issued to everyone at birth. I could assume if one used a ss card fraudulantly, and it was laminated, then any prosecution of that person would have the tacked on charge of laminating the card.

Just like someone gets pulled over for not using a turn signal, in the course of issuing that violator a summons, it was found they were intoxicated later. That is how it reads on paper. However, did the cop in his or her own mind have their heart set on catching a violator who fails to use a turn signal ?

What I want is if someone can cite something in writing to please do so.

This is an online forum for EMS. My question was EMS related. I can not very well ask that question in the field while I am working to people I interact with face to face in real time.

We are all semi-anonymous here. While I respect and value everyone I encounter here, and his or her opinion, I have minimal regard to how I personally appear to anyone on this forum.

Please enjoy your day and be particularly careful out there.

18G

Paramedic
There is no crime in asking. You can call or go to a police station and ask if it is legal to kill someone. Your not getting charged with murder just for asking.

Call the DOH and ask if it bothers you that much. Call from a pay phone, buy a prepaid cell phone or use a voice changer to make the call if your that paranoid. You don't have to give them your name and if it bothers you that much tell them you are asking for a friend.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
18g, thank you for your continued participation in my thread.

Yes, I could call the DOH with a pre-text and do that. However, doing so would violate my own personal policy. I do not allow myself to lie. ever.

I am not a liar.

Hear of plausible deniability ? The Reid Technique of Interview and Interrogations ?

I need to be able to say, honestly, with conviction, that I did not know I could not laminate the card.

The peron waiting for the payphone or using the adjacent one could have an EMT card, I know that one of the clerks in a local bodega that sells phone cards has one. As does a guy who works in the printing section of the local Staples (where I go for all my lamination needs) has one as well.

Everyone has one these days.

There is no way to predict who amongst them will one day hold a supervisory position or above at am EMS organziation or at some regulatory body.

I have personally seen the google street van go by three times when I was out and about. Who knows where the satallites are and when they will take a photo.

As I said, I never lie.

I have been called an :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:, even worse things, to my face. But nobody ever will call me: a liar, a thief, or a killer because I never lie, steal or kill.

Once again, thank you for your time and attention.

18G

Paramedic
Okay... my last post of advice for you.

1) You are completely safe from the Google van.
2) Nobody is out to get you.
3) Nobody really cares what you do with your certification card. You could use it to wipe your *** and nobody is gonna say anything.
4) Seek counseling for your paranoia.

Maybe someone else can offer up some better advice than me. But that's about all I can tell you if your that consumed by it.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Okay... my last post of advice for you.

1) You are completely safe from the Google van.
2) Nobody is out to get you.
3) Nobody really cares what you do with your certification card. You could use it to wipe your *** and nobody is gonna say anything.
4) Seek counseling for your paranoia.

Maybe someone else can offer up some better advice than me. But that's about all I can tell you if your that consumed by it.

Thank you.

1. I never said I was in danger of the google van, just that I have seen it, it goes on many roadways in Brooklyn.
2. I never said nobody was out to get me. However, people are out to stake there place in this world and many will forgo other peoples standing to elevate themselves. Did you read Bonfire of the Vanities ?
3. You can only speak for yourself. You do not care what I do with it, however, i was not concerned with YOU taking action against me.
4. I am not paranoid. You personally may deem me paranoid. However, that assesment is in no way valid or recognized by anyone anywhere that I am concerned with.

You offered advice which I thank you for. None is beter than any other.

And nothing whatsoever may consume me.

B)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Am I the only one who this this may be the funniest thread on EMTlife ever?

And allow me to say, IBTL!

And I'm laminating my ACLS, PALS, PHTLS and Boy Scout card at Kinko's this afternoon! (Unless the Google van drives through my neighborhood!)

18G

Paramedic
^^^^ Agreed!

And I'm laminating my ACLS, PALS, PHTLS and Boy Scout card at Kinko's this afternoon! (Unless the Google van drives through my neighborhood!)

Too FUNNY!!!!

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
OK, I figured it out.

0...jpg

I am just curious if you witty clever people create and post these images that others copy and paste in online forum threads, or do you just serve up the copypasta...?

18G

Paramedic
The images are collected and put in repositories online for the sole purpose of people using them for online forums.

It's a message forum so I highly doubt anyone is caring much about originality when partaking in something that doesn't even matter to begin with.

In other words, we have more important things to consume our day with than watching out for the Google van and creating our own images to post.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, I was out doing errands.

The images are collected and put in repositories online for the sole purpose of people using them for online forums.

It's a message forum so I highly doubt anyone is caring much about originality when partaking in something that doesn't even matter to begin with.

In other words, we have more important things to consume our day with than watching out for the Google van and creating our own images to post.

18g, thank you for enlightening me. How does one access these online repositories of images collected for online forums ?

How can someone like myself partake in all the witty forum banter ?

Are there classes one can take on it ?

Is there more than website ? What is the url ? Is there a fee for acessing the website or for use of the images.

Again, I am indebited to you and all the people you speak for, for the generous sharing of your time to address the issues of lesser beings such as myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.