I have a decision to make - looking for advice

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
I am about to finish my EMT-B course. I'm also an undergraduate studying human services. Due to some financial problems I might not be able to finish my degree at my current school and am looking to transfer somewhere cheaper. Unfortunately, not a lot of schools offer human services. Also, the EMT-B course has made me really want to pursue a career in EMS. I did find a bachelor's in EMS at University of New Mexico that would be cheaper than finishing at my current school. It includes a paramedic license, which I was planning to get anyway. My current plan is to work in EMS as long as I can and then possibly transition to emergency management.
I have a few questions, but really any advice would help:
Does anyone know anything about the program at UNM?
Do you think getting a degree in EMS is a good idea for what I want to do, or is it better to have something more generic like human services?
Is it ridiculous for me to try to do this when I haven't yet worked in EMS?
I have to make the decision soon, and I'm completely stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

medic417

The Truth Provider
A degree is a great ideal as if you change your mind about EMS later at least some of your time in school will count toward a different degree. The University of New Mexico has a good reputation. No need to waste time working at the basic level go straight to Paramedic.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have an AAS degree in EMS and am currently in a BS public safety administration / management program. Just about all of my credits from the AAS degree were good for the BS. The public safety program is 100% online and you pay instate tuition no matter where you are. It is designed for EMS, Fire and Leo.

know the job market. is there a need for medics or human services whatever in your area or the area you want to end up in?
Will you ba able to live off of the wage?

a degree is not required for a medic, but depending on where you are may help get a job or get better pay. I will always advocate for the degree. It should be the minimum standard for medic IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I would go for a BSN in Nursing, opens up a lot more job opportunities and better pay, and will give you a better medical education overall. EMS is a massively overcrowded field with horrible pay. Yeah the job is relatively easy, but theres not much chance for advancement in it.

After you get your BSN you can always get your Paramedic license if you still have the urge to wear a uniform and play with lights and sirens.

At least thats how I see it. EMS is my hobby, Nursing is my career.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I would go for a BSN in Nursing, opens up a lot more job opportunities and better pay, and will give you a better medical education overall. EMS is a massively overcrowded field with horrible pay. Yeah the job is relatively easy, but theres not much chance for advancement in it.

After you get your BSN you can always get your Paramedic license if you still have the urge to wear a uniform and play with lights and sirens.

At least thats how I see it. EMS is my hobby, Nursing is my career.

I did it, only I laid nursing completely down. I'm happier for it, and a better medic for the extra education and experience.

Just one more thing to think about.

OP
OP
A

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
Thanks!

Thanks for responding. At this point, I don't think I would want to pursue a BSN, mostly because I'm more than halfway through either a human services degree or an EMS degree and I don't have the resources to start over. Besides, from what little I've experienced of it, I love EMS and it seems like the right direction for me right now. As far as the job demand, at this point I am willing to move almost anywhere in the country. If anyone has any suggestions of a better program than UNM, please let me know. I guess since I am still so new to the field, I'm just not sure if a BS in EMS is a better path than a bachelor's in something else. What do you think would be better for going into emergency management down the road?
Thanks again for your help!

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
Its not like you would have to give up pre hospital EMS if you pursued Nursing. Even if I was only interested in a career in EMS, I would still get a Nursing degree before I would get a degree in EMS, as it will open up more doors for you in both EMS and the broader medical field in general.

You could still become a Paramedic after you become an RN, and you could then become a flight nurse or flight Paramedic. You could also work in an ER without having to be an ER tech, which pays a LOT less. Not to mention the RNs pretty much tell the Paramedic techs what to do, even if the Medic has some bachelers degree in EMS and the RN just has an associates. Some people might not like the added responsibility and stress of being a Nurse, but you at least get paid for it.

Granted Nursing isnt for everyone. Nursing schools are getting increasingly selective and have some tough science and math pre requisites, and Nursing requires an extremely high level of organizational, time management and multi tasking skills that some people just cant handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
...another angle

We're getting a trickle of people who, like yourself, see getting a degree as a smart move -- even in EMS! You are the ones that will help in the setting of higher professional standards.

I can't see it as being anything but inevitable that soon, EMS will have to adopt more professional standards and that MUST include higher education. Those who are getting prepared for that now, if they're smart, will be able to write their own tickets. First of all, they will be the logical people to turn to when each system decides to make the leap. But that's only for the near future.

With a degree and field experience, why not study one aspect of ambulance administration, become an expert in it and then create your own position within the system or systems you'd like to work with? If you so choose, I believe you soon will be able to make a career out of EMS because this first wave of Educamedics will be building more career-paths for everyone.

But to be fair I have to mention that emergency work is something that you won't commit to until you've been exposed to some pretty sizeable nightmares. Until one of those moment knocks you off your feet, you'll think "this ain't bad!" To you or to anyone I say, before you commit your time and money for the next few years to EMS, I'd advise finding a way to ride-along or even run some calls, find a burned out medic or two...see what it's REALLY like.