I don't trust him

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm also willing to bet that NYS EMTs don't administer 50% dextrose IV solutions

Its in a tube. The same little tubes one can get over the counter.

No IVs ever. Even if a paramedic or a nurse is in the bus. If an ALS buswith paramedics from another entity takes over, then yes.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
In a vollie situation, I wouldn't ride with him. As a volunteer, I reserve the right to only ride with people who make the job fun. You'll need to pay me to deal with people who in any way make the situation more difficult.

At my vollie agency:

• I will not ride with people who scare me with their driving
  • I will not ride with people who mouth off to the patients
  • I will not ride with people who embarass me in the hospitals
  • I will not ride with people who are resistant to learning new things

I love to teach, and I love to help people become a better provider, but if they chose to wallow in ignorance, I don't want to be around them.

Very well said, ABCkidsmom! Bravo!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, for example, a surgeon riding on a BLS ambulance, if he or she did an emergency trachetomy (sp?) in the field, he or she does so on their own, not as a member of that ambulance service......

That is true, but there's a significant difference between a physician working as an "EMT" on an ambulance doing a trache and a paramedic working as an "EMT" on an ambulance doing a trache. One holds an unrestricted license to practice medicine and the other doesn't.

Mex EMT-I

Forum Crew Member
An advice from Mexico.

Do some oxygen therapy....

(Hit him with the O2 tank)

;)

Very used here in my chaotic city

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In a vollie situation, I wouldn't ride with him. As a volunteer, I reserve the right to only ride with people who make the job fun. You'll need to pay me to deal with people who in any way make the situation more difficult.

At my vollie agency:

• I will not ride with people who scare me with their driving
  • I will not ride with people who mouth off to the patients
  • I will not ride with people who embarass me in the hospitals
  • I will not ride with people who are resistant to learning new things

I love to teach, and I love to help people become a better provider, but if they chose to wallow in ignorance, I don't want to be around them.

If you would not ride with someone as a vollie, why would you as a paid EMT. An EMT is an EMT regardless. Nothing changes just by the mechanism of compensation.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
If you would not ride with someone as a vollie, why would you as a paid EMT. An EMT is an EMT regardless. Nothing changes just by the mechanism of compensation.

Except the crap-I-am-willing-to-put-up-with meter goes up commensurate with pay. It would be the same with any job. That's why the buck stops with the guy who gets the biggest paycheck.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Except the crap-I-am-willing-to-put-up-with meter goes up commensurate with pay. It would be the same with any job. That's why the buck stops with the guy who gets the biggest paycheck.

Basically, this. If I'm going to do something for free, I'm going to have to derive some enjoyment out of it, even if said enjoyment comes from the satisfaction of helping out my community. Anything that needlessly detracts from said enjoyment is to be avoided. However, if I'm being paid, then it's a job and I have less of a choice of who I can work with or what I can refuse to put up with.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Basically, this. If I'm going to do something for free, I'm going to have to derive some enjoyment out of it, even if said enjoyment comes from the satisfaction of helping out my community. Anything that needlessly detracts from said enjoyment is to be avoided. However, if I'm being paid, then it's a job and I have less of a choice of who I can work with or what I can refuse to put up with.

I need to enjoy what I do regardless of what I am paid.

I have left higher paying jobs for lower paying jobs becuase the higher paying jobs I had were very mentally uncomfortable.

Just going for EMS in general even the few top dogs position wise make very little compared to other jobs.

When I first started vollying I would go out with everyone and anyone. Now I am starting to not be around when certain people are. However, I have found certain people are ok in combination with other people and not OK with others. In fact in my service there are two people NOT allowed to be on duty at the same time.

Everyone is different.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
So for you, you tolerance of other people raises with the financial compensation.

My willingness to put up with discomfort of any kind raises with financial compensation. I spent saturday in the driving rain, 50 degrees, fishing triathletes out of the lake during their swim. That was fun, and I enjoyed it, but the misery of the thing was abated some by the $35/hr the company was paying me.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
My willingness to put up with discomfort of any kind raises with financial compensation. I spent saturday in the driving rain, 50 degrees, fishing triathletes out of the lake during their swim. That was fun, and I enjoyed it, but the misery of the thing was abated some by the $35/hr the company was paying me.

My problem is after my rent, utilities, food and hygiene supplies are covered, I am no longer able to get out of bed so easily.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Your service runs a boat ?

In the county, which recently combined all agencies into one big agency, there are 2 boats, a double or triple handful of ambulances, a gator, a couple of golf carts, and a jeep wrangler or two for deep off road adventures.

For a rural area, we have a number of high-turnout events, and tend to stay busy at the standbys.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In the county, which recently combined all agencies into one big agency, there are 2 boats, a double or triple handful of ambulances, a gator, a couple of golf carts, and a jeep wrangler or two for deep off road adventures.

For a rural area, we have a number of high-turnout events, and tend to stay busy at the standbys.

Does the boat carry patients ?

In an enclosed space or in the open ?

Does your agemcy require training or certification to operate the boat ?

Your agency covers an entire county for 911 ?

Is your employer a private company or the county ?

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Your lucky. If the Medic ever gets in the back of the truck at my agency its a good day lol.

Am I the only one who finds it bizarre that the person who went through the extra schooling to become a paramedic doesn't want to be in the back?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Does the boat carry patients ?

In an enclosed space or in the open ?

Does your agemcy require training or certification to operate the boat ?

Your agency covers an entire county for 911 ?

Is your employer a private company or the county ?

One boat is the sheriff's office boat, the other is a licensed EMS vehicle, and a pontoon boat. Both carry patients if they need medical attention on the lake, in the open on the deck of the boat. There are public boat launches and marinas scattered around the 800 miles of shoreline that we take the person to meet the ambulance.

The boats patrol on summer weekends. This is what you call "working on a tan." Most times, if someone needs EMS, they go to shore and call.

Boat operators go through the Coast Guard auxiliary operators class, and I think the sheriff's office just uses guys that are good as pilots, because my pilot the other day was better at controlling the boat and the people on and around it than any I'd seen.

Yep, the agency covers an entire county for 911, fire and EMS, with a combination of volunteers and career staff under the leadership of the county chief and a management group.