Hypoglycemia

Ediron

Forum Crew Member
why do hypoglycemic patients have to take insulin?
dont they already have enough insulin and low sugar?

are type 1 diabetics hyperglycemic?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a gross oversimplificiation and somebody else will chime in with a better answer I am sure of it.

A diabetic who takes insulin does so because he is unable to make his own. Insulin is usually made in the pancreas, when released it stimulates the conversion of glucose into glycogen (liver) and glucose uptake by the cells. This ensures that the BGL stays WNL.

Other diabetic patients control thier BGL with PO meds or food alone.

Insulin is not a treatment for hypoglycemia; we use either IM Glucagon (to stimulate the liver to release glucose) or IV 10% glucose.

Any diabetic patient may become hyperglycemic although type 1 diabetics are much more likely to get diabetic ketoacidosis or DKA.

Glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis are terms you may want to research, heck, I want to too!

grich242

Forum Crew Member
dont they already have enough insulin and low sugar?

are type 1 diabetics hyperglycemic?

Hypo and Hyperglycemia are medical terms not necessarily diseases. People who are "hypoglycemic" tend to have their blood sugar drop based on diet when they have too much simple sugar and their body overproduces insulin and burns it up quickly. they do not take insulin. A type 1 diabetic takes insulin because they do not produce it on their own and may become hypoglycemic ic they dont eat enough but the principal is the same. Not enough insulin and too much fuel makes them hyperglycemic and it can change rather quickly from one to the other. both of these are different from type 2 and 3 so i'd look it up and the ADA website may help lots of info simply put.

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
A hypoglycemia patient will NOT be taking insulin. If they are hypoglycemic their blood glucose level is already too low and taking insulin will only make the body use what little glucose they have making the level drop even further.

Hypoglycemia patients need sugar (ie D50, oral glucose, or sweet foods/drink).

Q. Why do some diabetics have to take insulin?

A. Because their pancreas is not able to produce any or only an insufficient supply of insulin. Glucose is a large molecule that requires help crossing over the cell membrane and into the cell. Without insulin, glucose is not able to move into the cells at a rate capable of meeting the body's needs. Think of a lock and key. The cell is the lock and insulin is the key. Insulin unlocks the cell so glucose can enter.

The beta cells in the pancreas are the cells that produce insulin. When these cells are destroyed, they no longer produce insulin. There are a few reasons and thoughts as to what causes this. One is some patients are genetically predisposed to an early deterioration of the beta cells and another is a viral or other type of infection kills the beta cells. An autoimmiune response is thought to be a player in some.

Q. Are type 1 diabetics hyperglycemic?

A. If they are not compliant with their insulin regimen and diet, yes they will become hyperglycemic. When type 1 diabetes is first detected, it is usually because of a hyperglycemic event or DKA. Remember, Type 1 means no to very little insulin production. Without insulin, the blood glucose level will rise and lead to a bunch of problems with acidosis and dehydration if it is not controlled and brought back down.

Normally, if the person is taking insulin as directed and watching their diet, no they will not be hyperglycemic. They should be euglycemic (normal level) or at least what is baseline for them.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia can be associated with something other than just noncompliance. Don't judge your patients so quickly for placing blame or writing them off as noncompliant. A thorough assessment should be done to find other possible causes. This is why just treating hypoglycemia in the field and leaving the patient thinking you fixed them may not always be the best treatment plan. A fever can raise blood glucose because of higher levels of stress hormones, gluconeogenesis and insulin resistance. Illness associated with vomiting and diarrhea can lower blood glucose.

Patients who have never been diagnosed with diabetes can have glucose issues from stress related to trauma or CVAs. It is not uncommon to see a patient who has suffered a trauma or surgery to be on an insulin drip in the ED or ICU to control their glucose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Ediron: Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia are basically descriptions of the blood glucose level. That's quite literally it!!! The problem is figuring out WHY the patient's blood glucose deviated from a normal range. While "Type 1" diabetics need insulin, they must balance their carbohydrate intake, exercise output, insulin requirements, and might even have to do blends of insulin types to maintain their blood glucose levels within a normal range. If they under or overestimate anything, they can get themselves into a LOT of trouble very quickly. They also might be required to test themselves several times per day to be CERTAIN they're on the right track.

"Type 2" diabetics generally exhibit insulin resistance. Their problem can be much more difficult to manage. While insulin is present in their bloodstream, their cells might become less responsive to that insulin. The medication they take is targeted toward improving insulin resistance.

Even in normal non-diabetic people, during times of physiologic stress, the body can release corticosteroids... which can result in markedly increased blood glucose levels. In order to control that, as Vent noted, the patient can be put on an insulin drip to control the BGL increase. After all, the body likes the BGL to be in a certain range... anything outside that, over a sustained period of time, can lead to significant and undesirable damage.

Clear as mud? They body's regulatory systems are pretty good (most of the time) at maintaining homeostasis. As good as modern medicine is at helping the body do this, the healthy body is even better at it!

ghostrider

Forum Probie
Just as a side note adrenalin will often drastically increase bg levals in type 1 diabetics resulting in a rebound low that can require quite a lot of glucose to correct. There are also what are known as brittal diabetics whose insulin sensitivity ratio will fluctuate hourly, daily or monthly, compounding the already delicate dance of exertion carbs and insulin. unless you have lived with or currently diabetic you cannot possibly inagine how complicated this disease is to manage.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
One of my paramedic instructors' "pet" issues was diabetes. His son is a type 1 diabetic. Guess what he had to become an expert in? Yep! Fortunately, the kid wasn't a brittle diabetic. "Dad" later became a very good PA, and has been practicing in CA for about 8 years now.

A good friend's late wife was a VERY brittle diabetic who gave up on herself. My friend had one heck of a time trying to manage her diabetes for her AND manage to get along with her... she often wasn't the nicest of people either. One day, she moved herself out (didn't want to remain a burden) and about 2 months later, checked out.

That's about as close as I ever want to come to having to manage brittle diabetics long term (years...).

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
The extent of my care of diabetic patients is nil (to date), aside from the occasional administration of oral glucose to severely hypoglycemic patient.

I find it interesting how severely hypo/hyperglycemic patients can appear, and even smell, ETOH. The appearance is obvious to me, but why do they smell like they're intoxicated? I'm curious about that...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia can be associated with something other than just noncompliance. Don't judge your patients so quickly for placing blame or writing them off as noncompliant. A thorough assessment should be done to find other possible causes. This is why just treating hypoglycemia in the field and leaving the patient thinking you fixed them may not always be the best treatment plan. A fever can raise blood glucose because of higher levels of stress hormones, gluconeogenesis and insulin resistance. Illness associated with vomiting and diarrhea can lower blood glucose.

Patients who have never been diagnosed with diabetes can have glucose issues from stress related to trauma or CVAs. It is not uncommon to see a patient who has suffered a trauma or surgery to be on an insulin drip in the ED or ICU to control their glucose.

On this note, steroids can cause a patient's blood sugar to run high.

There are also women who have been diagnosed with PCOS/Metabolic syndrome who take medications to regulate their glucose, both oral and insulin. The current working theory of the syndrome revolves around insulin resistance, but these people do not technically have diabetes.

ghostrider

Forum Probie
The extent of my care of diabetic patients is nil (to date), aside from the occasional administration of oral glucose to severely hypoglycemic patient.

I find it interesting how severely hypo/hyperglycemic patients can appear, and even smell, ETOH. The appearance is obvious to me, but why do they smell like they're intoxicated? I'm curious about that...

my understanding through my sons endo is that the dka process creates a by-product that is similar to acetone, which smells similar to iso. alch.

18G

Paramedic
Ghostrider is right...

People who become hyperglycemic can enter into a metabolic process known as diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). This occurs when the body is not able to utilize glucose for energy and cell functioning due to a lack of insulin.

The body needs to create energy and since it cannot get it from glucose, it attempts to get energy by using a much less efficient method which is by breaking down fatty acids. The by-products of fatty acids are ketones which include acetone.

It is these by-products (the acetone) that can give the characteristic, fruity like odor.

People with low blood sugar levels will not have this odor since they are not producing the ketones.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Awesome, thanks for filling me in! I was always curious about it. Never really learned why, just how to treat (within my scope).

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Keep in mind though, that not all hyperglycemic patients will have the acetone smell, especially in HHNK.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I'm going to read up on all of this, as I was never taught it and appears to be quite important. Thanks guys, I knew there was a reason I posted on EMTLife other than keeping myself from dying of boredom during the downtime.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Search "bariatric surgery" or "dumping syndrome"

doo dee doo dee doooooo:rolleyes:

ghostrider

Forum Probie
I think I'm going to read up on all of this, as I was never taught it and appears to be quite important. Thanks guys, I knew there was a reason I posted on EMTLife other than keeping myself from dying of boredom during the downtime.

my son being diagnosed with type 1 is what led me into ems. 3 transports while out of state (on vacation) and a crash course in diabetis care before heading home 400 miles away was a real eye opener. we found out like most people that he had type 1 when he went into DKA. the moniter at the hospital read HIGH BG and the boy was about to slip into a coma. very compitent emts and icu staff in north Fla. my hats off to you guys.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
On this note, steroids can cause a patient's blood sugar to run high.

There are also women who have been diagnosed with PCOS/Metabolic syndrome who take medications to regulate their glucose, both oral and insulin. The current working theory of the syndrome revolves around insulin resistance, but these people do not technically have diabetes.
While doing a bit of reading a couple years ago about metabolic syndrome, I came across that. The steroid thing... I'm not at all surprised.