How to Make a Good Resume for a Transport Company

DrScienceSpaceCat

Forum Ride Along
Hello!

I'm a fairly new EMT and am looking to start getting more experience. I've been on a volunteer rescue squad for about 6 months now, but I haven't really made a proper resume since I got out of high school.

Any tips on what I may want to include/avoid?

What's a good resume format?

Another concern I have is I've been at the same job for about 4½ years, so all of my references are from that job; how many references to I need? Do they all have to be work related or can they be personal?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Stable work history is a good thing so don't worry about the references being from one employer. Honestly most transport agencies only care if you have the proper certificate, a pulse, and a clean driving record.

As for the resume... Keep it under one page. Very few people have enough relevant life/work experience to make it a two or more page resume. Just use Google for some examples.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
*certification
*experience
*palpable radial pulse

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you’re after a job on a BLS IFT truck, skip everything but what rocketmedic said. Your hobbies, objectives, extra curriculars, and just about everything else are collectively irrelevant. Current relevant certs, wage requirements(or more accurately willingness to accept whatever crap offer they make, as its rarely negotiable just starting out, and when can you start. As you progress in your career, you can pad your resume some, but in the beginning its just wasted time.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
valid EMT card (should be included with application)
valid CPR card (should be included with application)
Clean driving record (should be included with application)
pulse is optional

note I said included with the application; simply stating your EMT level and number and CPR certification level should be good enough, and be listed near the top of your resume (especially since you don't have much experience).

don't care about your references, they don't belong on a resume.

any work experience is good, relevant work experience is even better (even if volunteer).

wages don't belong on a resume; you should call ahead and know what they pay before you even apply. if you are willing to accept it great. your current wages or desired wages really don't matter, because there is more supply than demand. you either accept what they give or don't; there is rarely any negotiation.

Are you looking for part time or full time? career change or supplemental income? a well written cover letter might help you, especially if you are looking for a career change. Preferably one you can reuse for other jobs if you don't get this one.

Plenty of free templates on the Web, as well as on Microsoft word. no need to reinvent the wheel.