How to get better?

September

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I'm currently an EMT student and we're just about halfway through class. I test quite well but when it comes to certain things like scenarios, I get tunnel vision. Or if an instructor asks a "pop quiz, hotshot" kind of question, I'll know the answer but just can't verbalize it well and end up sounding like an idiot.

However, when I'm actually out on ride-alongs with my preceptor, it's like a switch is flipped and everything flows. I'm just concerned that this might mess me up when it's time to test for national and state.

I want to be the best provider I can be. Should I just study more? Work more scenarios or something?

Niesje

Forum Crew Member
See if your classmates will come in early and you all can run scenarios to practice like the National Registry practical. Muscle memory. That's what we always did and preceptors tell our teachers all the time how prepared we are. Practice, practice, practice.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Practice makes perfect, and with experience you begin to see what works best for you while hitting all the critical points of managing a call/pt. care.

Cirko

Forum Ride Along
Hey September,

My one of classmates a couple years ago would stutter if she was surprised with a question that involved a detailed answer but was one of our top ranking EMT's in testing and scenario procedure.

Her solution to this was to make flash cards, but unlike the usual style with an anatomy or medication on the front and the description on the back, she would put a question on the front and answer to her quickest and best ability the most accurate answer while being as simple as possible. By the end of the year she would rarely be caught off guard because her reactions to surprise questions became a natural process.

Get your classmates, teachers, and coworkers to give you some questions that you can practice, sit down and write out the best answer you can think of in a calm, collective mind set, then surprise yourself occasionally by flipping out random cards.

Best of luck,

Nate

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Practice and more practice is the way to go. Also keep in mind when running scenarios, do the book way. Many experienced EMTs and Paramedics take short cuts or improvise but when it comes to testing, there is a correct answer to the question and a correct way to do something.