how to get a career in EMS/

Kazz

Forum Probie
Hello all!

My names jared, and this is my first post on the great forum I have found! I am currently attending SUNY Potsdam, and am taking an EMT-B class at SUNY canton, and am enjoying every minute of it!

I was thinking that if my current career choice (archaeology) doesnt work out, I would be thrilled to go into EMS as a career. I was wondering how exactly does one work up the "professional ladder" in this career? What sort of training would I need other than getting more training to become an EMT-I, then A, then CC, etc.?

thanks, and I look forward to posting here!

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
First step i think would be to Go get your EMT-B. Then get a job and start working as an EMT to get some experiance under your belt, once you done that for about 6 months (given you done a good number of calls) you can try for Paramedic School, and get your paramedic license and any other certs you want. But i would say the best way to Dive in is to Become an EMT-B

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe! You will get a wealth of infomation!! :)

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I know most of the SUNY schools have student-run EMS groups. That would definitely give you and advantage over other when it comes to starting your potential EMS careers. It looks good on a resume, since almost every company requires/strongly recommends previous experience.

This is a list of collegiate EMS groups, just go to NY.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Welcome fellow NY stater!

First the EMT-B and start working. Make sure you like EMS. Its good to try different enviroments. You could try a volunteer corp and the b.s. politics. Than try a transport company. You do both are either part time while in school or while working as an architech.

Than become a paramedic. I have an engineer in my class. Since most classes are held at night, its doable while working full time. Than work part time as a medic while working as an architech.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Way before even enrolling into an EMT course.. consider my recommendation.

Go find a group of line medics.. old and young. See if they will allow you to ask them some hard facts about the profession. Then prepare a list of questions (should be at least 50-100) on the profession. Ask the usual good, bad, etc. but also ask what they would do differently, as well where they see EMS being. Ask about the side effects of being in EMS on a personal, physical level, as well as emotional levels.

Even before doing this, if you have an immediate family discuss with them the possibility of going into EMS. This action will affect them as much it will you. Not considering their thoughts as well as your relationship will be foolish. Remember, you will be working nearly every holiday, nights, weekends, and birthdays. You will be exposed to emotional distress not like you have ever seen before, again are you emotionally and physically prepared?

Check into the pay structure that you are considering. As well, look at career ladder and the ability to move upward. Sure, you are just starting out but most do not want to be at the same place 15 years from now... and that is where majority of EMS providers are at today.

Look at the educational requirements and the ability to go past that. Be sure that the school is nationally accredited from programs such as CoAEMSP, etc.
Not all programs are created equally. Get the best possible, I have yet never heard of someone complaining about getting a good education. Again, do a LOT of comparing such as clinical structures and requirements.

In regards to experience, if you can get 911 emergency experience right of the bat then go for it, if not don't waste your time with getting your EMT and awaiting for a job in shuffling patients or in a non-emergency transport system. You will become disappointed and disgruntled as well, not much to learn from there. Seriously, after you have mastered vital signs and some basics of patient assessment there is not much more you are going to obtain.

Many administrators and educators alike are finding one can be as successful or even maybe better if one has NO prior experience as an EMT. There is no bad habits to break, no dissolutions, no interference and ill advice from peers that cause complications. One will obtain experience after they become a Paramedic. Some services are now granting only partial credit to no credit as experience for being a Basic EMT. Things are changing.

R/r 911

OP
OP
K

Kazz

Forum Probie
thanks for all of your great responses!

My father was an EMT/FF, and has told me all the good, bad, and rediculous. Also my uncle was a EMT and my aunt and cousin are both nurses (psych. none of the less).

Ive always wanted to get into EMS after hearing stories my dad has told me and such.

Im actually apart of SUNY Potsdam's student run EMS service. and that is where i found out about the EMT class im currently taking. Im enjoying every minute of it, and dont regret doing what ive started.

Ive already done some rides, but nothing to major. Back injury, broken bones, drug O/D (that was fun).

and for the record, im not an architech, im an ARCHAEOLOGIST. lol... the only relationship i have with buildings is the fact that once a civilization dies out/moves, and the buildings get burried, and deteriorate, I get to dig them up and try to find out what happend to the people and such. lol