How to choose an EMT course in Philadelphia?

PhillyGirl

Forum Ride Along
Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for a bit and finally decided to post. I'm planning to take an EMT course in the Philly area the summer and am having trouble figuring out how to choose. Do some have significantly better reputations than others, either in terms of the teaching or the pass rate for the national exam? My top pick at the moment is the JeffSTAT course through Jefferson since it's the easiest for me to get to. Any word on the quality of that one? Also, I'm trying to figure out whether to do the regular course or the "hybrid" course ("hybrid" meaning that it meets one day a week in person and the rest is online). I'd prefer the hybrid course, unless the extra in-person time is especially helpful. Thanks for any insight!

OP
OP
P

PhillyGirl

Forum Ride Along
Forgot to mention: the other summer EMT course I'm most tempted by aside from JeffSTAT is the one at Temple run by Twin Valley. Anyone in a position to weigh in? Also, any idea how either of those would compare to the accelerated EMT boot-camp-style courses?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Accelerated is fine if you have the time to study. Mine was 20 days straight through, and it was good because I had no other obligations during that time (so I could put in a couple hours of studying and hands-on practice a night)

extra in-person time is especially helpful.
I found in-person time very helpful for skills. That is one downside to many hybrid programs - not enough skills time.

In general, no, where you do your EMT program doesn't matter too much. There are differences in teaching styles, hours, etc., but they all pretty much accomplish the same thing. Ideally, you should look for one that is at a credit-granting institution that also has a paramedic program (a community college, generally speaking) I'd say, given that the cost is likely to be lower and you can get college credit if you want it.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm an eastern mass guy, so i cant help you with specific schools; but if you can read at at least an eight grade level, memorize small quantities of information, and understand some relatively basic concepts, the school you go to wont matter so much. Basic school isn't terrifically complex or challenging, provided you don't have learning disabilities or such.

Bottom line is any state licensed school will most likely be fine for you. I don't recommend the shake and bake emt boot camp style classes, but to each their own. If that's the path you choose, just be aware you're going to be expected to swallow the emt course book like a pelican and yack it back up verbatim in about a month. If that kind of high speed low drag learning isn't your strong suit, take a traditional course.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm from Philly (well, Montgomery County) and I've never heard anything bad about Jeff's EMT program. But like others have said, where you went to EMT school barely matters. It's such a trimmed down course that most of your learning will occur hands on after you get your cert.

I would say hybrid vs hands on doesn't matter much, the most important thing is making sure you're committed to learning after you get your certification.

PAMOMTWINS

Forum Ride Along
I'm an eastern mass guy, so i cant help you with specific schools; but if you can read at at least an eight grade level, memorize small quantities of information, and understand some relatively basic concepts, the school you go to wont matter so much. Basic school isn't terrifically complex or challenging, provided you don't have learning disabilities or such.

Bottom line is any state licensed school will most likely be fine for you. I don't recommend the shake and bake emt boot camp style classes, but to each their own. If that's the path you choose, just be aware you're going to be expected to swallow the emt course book like a pelican and yack it back up verbatim in about a month. If that kind of high speed low drag learning isn't your strong suit, take a traditional course.
Yes, I've heard about accelerated programs, we have one in Jefferson, BSN in a year. If you already have your BS. Do not know how they are managing, it was hard enough in 2 years.
The other option is 3 months. Do you think that is slow enough considering I have RN-BSN already? I am in a process of reactivation of my RN. Lost it due to DUI. Did my 3 years random drug tests and NA meetings.
Will they accept me into the program if my license is not active yet?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, I've heard about accelerated programs, we have one in Jefferson, BSN in a year. If you already have your BS. Do not know how they are managing, it was hard enough in 2 years.
The other option is 3 months. Do you think that is slow enough considering I have RN-BSN already? I am in a process of reactivation of my RN. Lost it due to DUI. Did my 3 years random drug tests and NA meetings.
Will they accept me into the program if my license is not active yet?
Most any program will take you, it's getting certified as an EMT that would be the problem. Some states might give you a provisional license and others may flat out deny you. Your best bet would be to call the State EMS office and ask them. They will know the answer, we won't.

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
Where abouts in Philly are you looking. The 'Greater Philly" area is comprised of 5 counties, and EMT programs abound in all of them. Where you are will make a difference in terms of commuting, availability, types (F/T , P/T, day, evening, hybrid, etc...) as well as the cost of the program.