How the hiring process goes?

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
First Post here - Im sure that there are a few similar threads, but i figured to personalize my case a little bit by posting it myself. I took my est on thursday and got my results this morning, so with my practicals passed and my NREMT test passed, i am now a certified EMT-B, and as i am waiting for my paper work to run through, i already talked to Kansas board of EMS and they said once they get the paper work i will be legally able to practice in the state of Kansas. My question is, I would like to get an EMT-B job on a crew, i am willing to move anywhere within the state and possibly to another state to get that job, but i dont know where to start. do i just start calling EMS agencies and telling them my interest in working? i just dont know what to do.

Thanks For the Help,
Ryan

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, don't let them know you're just going around to every service.

Get to know about them, and check out their site, prior to an interview ( some places interview the same day you put in your app, so be prepared). Tell them you want to be part of their company because ( whatever ).

Last edited by a moderator:

joness

Forum Probie
Make sure you apply to hospitals, private companies, and some fire stations hire EMT-B's also, be sure to include some of the companies Mission Statement in your cover letter

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
x2 on going and applying in person.

Futureblue

Forum Probie
Applying in person seems like a mega waste. If it's a city, county or state agency they will have a posting up, and likely be putting you through the civil service process. In which case all the leg work involved with an in person application won't matter at all - Since the first hurdle will be a written test.

As to private companies..hmm I guess. But most have online, e-mail or fax instructions specifically listed for applicants. They don't want people just showing up. Heck, most places don't even have the front doors unlocked anymore.

I say just check daily for new postings and if you apply, follow up with a phone call, but unless this is 1998, and nobody told me, save the in person applications (and your gas).

$.02

surfer06

Forum Probie
I loved the idea of going to each company and applying and talking to people. That is such a better way, although i did that and each company said "fill out the application online and then we will get in touch with you." So i would go online fill out every application availiable and then make a good resume and do background info on each company.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya keep in mind that in some large organizations to streamline the work of HR may ONLY accept applications received in certain ways. For example my service only accepts applications received via their Workopolis account.

OP
OP
A

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
That's all good advice. The only other question is, in kansas, there are tons of services, but 90% of them do not have a website to get information. Is it acceptable to call the service and tell them you are interested in a job and then ask what the best way to get them your application?