How often do random people talk to you/say thank you?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I occasionally get a thank you here or there, but mostly it's those awkward conversations about "how good it must feel to save lives", or "how important we are". I just kind of smile and nod.

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
We get thanked alot and it always makes me feel good to know that weve been a part of helping someone. We were in the grocery store not too long ago and had a family member come up to us and thank us for the compassion that we showed their loved one. It was very touching to know that even though he didnt make it they still appreciated the work that we did for them.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
family member come up to us and thank us for the compassion that we showed their loved one. It was very touching to know that even though he didnt make it they still appreciated the work that we did for them.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
When youre in your uniform/working?

How often will a stranger just walk up to you and have a conversation and such.
A lot? like everywhere you go, or just so so.

And have you ever been to a place where no one gave you respect? As in more than giving you a hard time

It happens from time to time. When somebody tries to thank me 'for what you guys do' I simply nod and say, 'Thank you' as I contain my laughter.

No respect? Happens all the time. Nobody cares if you have a uniform on, about the lights and sirens, caution tape, hoseline everywhere, emptying an elevator for a critical pt, etc.

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
I feel pretty good after reading some of the post here. My service is Very active in the community we serve and it shows. I get thanked alot and Feel good about that. I was just reading thru some thank you cards yesterday at work on the bulleton board. We all should lead by example, even those BS calls at 2am. The other day I took a transfer 120 miles away. After the call we always stop for drinks and whatnot, as we pull in I see a little boy wave to us. He goes in the store with his mom, leaving dad in the car. I made it a point to go talk to dad and asked if he would accept a frisby from us for his boy. He said his son would love it, but said he would like it more if he recieved it from me. So I caught up with mom and son and the look on his face was epic. We were completly out of our region, but that little boy had his day made by a paramedic. As a father of 4 I wish every kid could have that happen to them.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I feel pretty good after reading some of the post here. My service is Very active in the community we serve and it shows. I get thanked alot and Feel good about that. I was just reading thru some thank you cards yesterday at work on the bulleton board. We all should lead by example, even those BS calls at 2am. The other day I took a transfer 120 miles away. After the call we always stop for drinks and whatnot, as we pull in I see a little boy wave to us. He goes in the store with his mom, leaving dad in the car. I made it a point to go talk to dad and asked if he would accept a frisby from us for his boy. He said his son would love it, but said he would like it more if he recieved it from me. So I caught up with mom and son and the look on his face was epic. We were completly out of our region, but that little boy had his day made by a paramedic. As a father of 4 I wish every kid could have that happen to them.

Absolutely. Be the change you want to see in the world.

eventer22

Forum Crew Member
I was doing my clinicals and a patient's family member met us when we walked out of the room and gave us all a hug. Being a student, and still a really green emt, i haven't really experienced the non appreciative attitude. That felt really good though, even though we didn't really have to do much for him

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been thanked by complete strangers 3 times in the new year. Once was by a patient on the floor of the hospital, we were transferring the guys roommate to a SNF ane he tells us "you guys saved my life". No idea who he was or what he was there for, so we just smiled and said something aling the lines of "just doing our job" and "glad we could help"

The other day a little old lady was driving around to all our posts (everyone pretty much parks in almost the exact same spots around town) handing out $5 Starbucks giftcards as a belated Christmas present.

And just the day before yesterday, we were parked at a local supermarket, my partner was inside grabbing some lunch, a stone faced lady walks right up to me, I'm figuring she wants to complain about something given the look on her face, but nope, just says "thank you for what you do" and walks off before I really have a chance to respond.

neoclassicaljazz

Forum Crew Member
I get thanked a lot here in the town I live in. Especially the elderly folks we pick up. Might not do much but chat with them and take them to the hospital but they are always appreciative.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Its a mix between "thank you. Your coffee is on me" from the Batista (donation to the tip jar of course) and "So thats where my tax dollars go!" When were posting, even though we are private IFT. But try explaining that to the public.

We also get the "you're just an emt" from facility staff a lot. But I have also had BLS transfers go bad and when we roll into the ER and I give a decent report and they can see that we have done everything we are allowed to do, they realize we are actually competent, albeit low level, medical professionals and they treat us well because we did what we were supposed to.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I get a lot of thank yous, mostly from people who are elderly, or family who is having issues with their elderly loved ones and have no idea how to get them to the hospital. Or up off the ground.

OTOH. Theres still the complainers the unhappy no matter what you do. I had a lady who is downright crazy. Literally certified with papers and all. and a horrible diabetic who doesn't take care of herself so she lost a limb. She used to be a nurse so you would think she would know the consequences of not taking care of yourself, and smoking like a solid waste burning facility. Needless to say she expects what she wants and how she wants it. Usually doesn't end well.

FWIW people who speak about the transients and the elderly. A lot of them have nowhere to turn and are so appreciative of the help. I've learned a lot of the time people who are well off, tend to look down at us like where some kind of knuckle dragging goons

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Get quite a bit of thank you, etc...In Western PA, so most of the communities have volunteer fire/rescue services. They know we are their neighbors, friends, and family out there helping everyone else...