How much time should I spend studying prefixes/suffixes?

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
I am about half way into my EMT-B class right now and I came across the common prefixes and suffixes. Is it worth my time to sit down and memorize all of them or should I just focus on the chapter of the week? I feel like it would be better to know just the stuff I'm going to actually be tested on for now and maybe worry about them down the road? Maybe you might recommend I get all of the prefixes and suffixes down however. Either way, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Study them until you know them. There's not a ton to memorize for Basic. A simple online med term class will get you everything you need.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I am about half way into my EMT-B class right now and I came across the common prefixes and suffixes. Is it worth my time to sit down and memorize all of them or should I just focus on the chapter of the week? I feel like it would be better to know just the stuff I'm going to actually be tested on for now and maybe worry about them down the road? Maybe you might recommend I get all of the prefixes and suffixes down however. Either way, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

How much time do you have?

I haven't ever taken an EMT-B course, as I didn't train in the states, and I'm not sure exactly what's involved. I did take 60 hours of medical terminology as part of my paramedic training. It didn't seem very important at the time, but is actually quite useful. If you're going to read higher level texts, converse with physicians and other healthcare providers, or go on to university studies, it helps a lot. It allows you to sound more professional, access academic information at a higher level, and understand more technical language.

On the other hand, if your time is limited, it may be better spent elsewhere. No one ever died because their EMT couldn't break down the prefix/suffix and root of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
If you want sound smart, hear smart, and earn respect in your profession, learn the language. Latin roots are not really all that difficult. But memorization does take time...I would prioritize your chapter of the week but at some point you should learn the lingo.

JK773

Forum Probie
Best thing I can say is learn the main ones. Your EMT training will kick in. For instance...

Itis means inflammation

Bronchitis means inflammation of the bronchioles

You already know the basic A&P so when someone refers to bronchioles you know it's in the lungs and it's effecting the smaller airway passages.

Hope you get what I was trying to say and it helps

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Best thing I can say is learn the main ones. Your EMT training will kick in. For instance...

Itis means inflammation

Bronchitis means inflammation of the bronchioles

You already know the basic A&P so when someone refers to bronchioles you know it's in the lungs and it's effecting the smaller airway passages.

Hope you get what I was trying to say and it helps

Bronchitis affects the bronchi (large airway passages). Bronchiolitis involves the bronchioles.

JK773

Forum Probie
"The bronchi themselves branch many times into smaller airways, ending in the narrowest airways (bronchioles), which are as small as one half of a millimeter across"

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Agreed with chewy on sticking with what you are expected to know now.

Medical terminology is very much so like learning a new language. All sorts of new nouns and adjectives that are sometimes structured words, sometimes not. The best way to learn any language is by exposure. Learn the alphabet from the book, figure out how to ask for food, water, and a bathroom, then fly to the country to learn the language.