How much clinical time did you have in your Basic class?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Ambulance Technician is about 10 x 12 hour shifts

Paramedic is 1,100 hours of clinical exposure

Intensive Care Paramedic I am not sure about

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
12 hours in ER, and a minimum of 5 pt contacts on ambulance.

Ambulance time was great, got a good bit of care experience, but imho the hospital time was rather worthless, the core emt-b skills just weren't put to enough use. I got plenty of bed to bed move experience, but none of the other skills were put to use, and due to hospital regulations no vitals and no history gathering experience.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
supposed to have 12 hours ambotime plus 12 ER time but because of insurance issues we were unable to donER time. so 12 hours goal. my service gave me 36 hours ride time for IFTs and another 36 for ALS

mcdonl

Forum Captain
EMT-B class was 5 patient contacts, 12 Hours Ambulance and 12 Hours ER.

My intermediate class is 40 Hours ER, 24 Hours Ambulance (Plus you need to be on a service to begin with) 10 IV stick's, 5 intubations, 5 IM/IO and 1 mist therapy... The intubations can be done with the state certified mannequin.

I still do ride time with larger services as an observer to get the exposure as well as handing my regular shifts.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I New York City, the minimumn is 10 hours in a hospital ER. Some schools do it in an ambulance but mine did not.

So it is up to me to arrange for my own time, hence, I observe with a NYC vollie unit, and all that I observe is not related to patient car....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

crossatwood

Forum Probie
I did two 12s on the truck class required us to run 5 calls (5 run reports for the instructor) during that time. It was not enough time but it never will be, as my instructor very wisely told our class: you can learn everything in class and the real education begins when you are hired and work the truck.

crossatwood

Forum Probie
Ok well heres another question for you guys...Our syllabus says must complete 10 hours clinical time between hospital or ambulance. Do you suggest going with the hospital or ambulance? I plan on working with a private ambulance service so I'm assuming ambulance time but it seems like the hospital may see more action
depends ER and truck sometimes operate on different wavelengths. ours seems to sometimes anyway.

tekken1096

Forum Probie
I just began my EMT-B course at Broward College this passing Monday. We've been advised that our total ride times with the Fire departments will be 60 hours. We also receive 60 hours of hospital clinicals in the ER and trauma sectors at Memorial Regional Hospital.

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
we had to do 36 hours on a ambulance and 24 in hospital

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
In my Basic class we needed 32 hours of ER clinicals and 24 hours of ambulance ride time.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
My EMT-B required 40 ambulance and 16 ER hours. We also had to get certain skills checked off so those were the minimum hours needed.

I actually did almost 40 ER and over 100 ambulance hours.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
No time required, but I did 70 hours with the local services. County requires a few months of precepted ride time before you are allowed to work second seat in an ambulance, so it really isn't necessary for an EMT-B to do clinical time before they start with a service.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
My EMT-B required 40 ambulance and 16 ER hours. We also had to get certain skills checked off so those were the minimum hours needed.

I actually did almost 40 ER and over 100 ambulance hours.

That is how mine was. Either our IC could check off our skills or our preceptor could check them off. We had to have the skills signed off along with 5 successful IV starts before finishing the class.

WVEmt

Forum Crew Member
so about half off subject, how much time to you think someone should be an emt-b before moving on to medic?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The EMT-B class required 16 hours. I did mine all on the ambulance. I found the ride time to be very easy. It wasn't enough. Mostly, it wasn't enough because I didn't see very many different kinds of patients.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
so about half off subject, how much time to you think someone should be an emt-b before moving on to medic?
Not so much an amount of time, rather the quality of time and whether or not the person's a solid EMT-B. I'd even be happy with someone going straight into Paramedic, IF the person acquires solid BASIC skills and builds upon them during the program. I would prefer, however, that a person spend at least some time on an ambulance before going to Paramedic. The other reason why I say this is because you want to know you're really into patient care and not just a paycheck. It's a "do you like what you're doing" type of gut-check. I've met people that thought that ambulance work was the greatest thing... only to find out that it just wasn't their calling.

emtjoe10

Forum Probie
we had to split 10 hours and do 10 pcr. I did 6 on an ambulance and the company only did dialysis transports (sucked) and i did a volunteer 12 hour shift at the hospital, but i did my shift in a level 1 trauma center. First three paitents of the night within 5 hours into the trauma bays:

1st Pt. lifeflighted, obese guy drunk fell down some stairs, sudural hematoma pretty much doa to our facility

2nd Pt. 18 y/o mva, Lifeflighted, split his jeep into 4 pieces, HUGE Avulsion above right eye, and some bumps and scrapes. came in VERY combative. he was really torn up though.

3rd Pt. Narcotic overdose, unresponsive to narcan, that is until they completly loaded him up with it.

needless to say i seen everything from a brady at 46 bpm to a multiple gunshot victim all in 12 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I had a 5week (only 3 weeks of clinicals) EMT-I/85 class and we had to do 36hours Ambulance or could split it up with 24Ambulance and 12 ER. I got every hour I could squeeze in including not sleeping for 3days because I was doing ambulance shifts at night then heading straight to class during the day to keep on repeating.

I've probably logged in over 100hours in a 3 week period and I still feel like it wasn't enough. Infact I didn't have 1 single significant trauma which pissed me off so much.

emtjoe10

Forum Probie
I had a 5week (only 3 weeks of clinicals) EMT-I/85 class and we had to do 36hours Ambulance or could split it up with 24Ambulance and 12 ER. I got every hour I could squeeze in including not sleeping for 3days because I was doing ambulance shifts at night then heading straight to class during the day to keep on repeating.

I've probably logged in over 100hours in a 3 week period and I still feel like it wasn't enough. Infact I didn't have 1 single significant trauma which pissed me off so much.

we had to get liability waivers to go on ambulance, so just going to any ambulance company wasnt a choice really for me