How many times would you take an Intership?

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
How many times would you take an Ambulance Intership? In January as long as I pass the emt-b class I can take an Intership. The Intership consist of 200hrs of doing a ride along in a semester (4 months). Up to 3 Intership can be done in a year. It stops at 3 Interships period. I may have to pay for $208 dollars out of pocket for each intership.

Each shift would be a 12 hr shift. Most likely it would be with AMR. The instructos said by the end of the 2nd Intership AMR would hand you an application & tell you to apply. In the Small City I live in they probable employee 36 full-time Emt-b`s and maybe a dozen part-time emt-b`s.

Instuctors say emt-b jobs are difficult to get. However, I have had atleast 3 class member say that they have relatives in AMR saying there is a very high turn-over rate, & that there always highering. However, one of the Instructors is EMS cordinator for a Major Hospital in this area. & the other is the one in charge of Air Evac Lifeteam.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I wouldn't pay a dime to do an internship.

I wouldn't work a minute for a place that I have to pay to work, with no guarantee of a reimbursement, let alone hiring.

I wouldn't do an internship if it's not required by the school... and a school that requires you to pay to do your internship is not a school I'd go to.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Huh? I'm confused. Is the ambulance internship after you've already passed the course and become licensed as an EMT? If so, why not apply instead of going through an internship?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wouldn't bother. Only internship I've done is for medic school. Why bother if you've already passed the class?

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
The intership is all your required to do is pass the class. Your not required to have the certification. The idea behind the intership is give the Emt-b student a chance to gane experience as a Emt before intering into the Paramedic program. The state of Indiana only requires 12hrs of intership before taking state Practical exams. The part of the country I`m in the Emt-b job market is competive in a small city. If you gain some experience & make connections(networking) your chances of being hired are greatly improved.

Unfornately, the Chairman in charge of the Paramedic program wasn`t sure if Finicail Aid would pay for the course. Which means in might have to be paid for by Student Loans or out of my own pocket.

This semester alone the school is going to crank out atleast 50 Emt-b students. Were the local job market will probable only have 5 openings for Emt-b. This doesen`t include those that already have Emt-b certs.