How many hours / shifts do you work a week?

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
72 hour shift here, three days straight, and I haven't known what a 'weekend' is in many months now lol

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I have worked a few different shifts, I have done the 24/48, 48/96, 48 five days off(Sunday/Monday), set two 24's a week (Wed/Sat Every week). Now I do 3 12's in a row. Personally I liked 48 with 5 days off.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm part time so I generally work whenever an wherever I want. Typically I'll try to do 48 hours a week (4 12's) but that doesn't always happen. I've also done 7 day stretches (7 12's) with 3 days off then another 7 (this is when its our "busy season").

Ive also worked 72 hours on 96 off (3 days on, 4 days off). My all time favorite was when I covered a couple shifts out in the boonies not to long ago. I did 48 on 120 off (2 on, 5 off) that was amazing, it was like a mini vacation every week.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Twelve hour shifts, 3 one week, 4 the next (with 8 hours of overtime built in). You could also work 4 10's if you wanted the daytime weekday extra truck.
Overtime is plentiful, I probably only grab an extra shift once or twice a month though. I get paid enough as a basic to live comfortably without working my butt off.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
3x12s at main job, urban city busy rescue craziness

1-2x12s at side gig, suburban college sport standbys drunks no calls in the summer with a few mutual aid rescue calls. its the most fun ive had doing EMS since i was new

Corey

Forum Probie
I have been with my ambulance company for close to three months, and I have worked over 700 hours. I am a full time employee and I have recently started school again. I averaged roughly 60 hours a week, and it honestly was not that bad. All my shifts are 10 hours long, 4 times a week. I have only been off on time a handful of times. I've been held over anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours. I'm also in the process of moving onto a 24 hr shift, so it would be 48 hour weeks, maybe grab an extra shift here and there if I get bored of my 24. This is the first time I have worked full time and gone to school part time. Normally, it was work part time and go to school full time, so it will be an interesting few months!