How long were you an EMT-B before Paramedic?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I became an EMT in the late 80s, worked as a basic, I, cardiac tech and held a real full time job in an unrelated field. I became a paramedic in 2010. I had zero issues with the didactic portion, the hospital rotations or internship. Not because I was an EMT first, but because I had experience learning at a collegiate level and could apply critical thinking skills. I also had significant experience as a manager, so I wasn't afraid to delegate tasks to BLS people. I was 20 years older than most of the firefighters so I wasn't intimidated by them nor did I really have any interest in playing the "fire department suck up game" so many students play, in an attempt to lock up a job. The only benefit I received from prior EMT experience was that I didn't have to focus on learning EMT skills as I developed my practice as an ALS provider. I knew how to take a BP in a truck. How to use a KED and back board. Could move patients without issues. Knew how to give report at the ED. All of the things that being a good EMT involves. I think that learning and using basic EMT skills should be a requirement before entry into the paramedic field internship, rather than throwing someone in with absolutely no experience and expecting them to function as an ALS provider, when they have no clue how to actually apply BLS level skills.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
FF'er: 75-79
EMT-Ambulance (equiv EMT-B): 1978-84
USAF Air Guard med tech 1980-87, then commissioned a nurse 1987-1997.
Nursing college: 1981-1985 Still licensed.

Figured out paramedic was a limited time deal and wanted a lifelong career where I'd never have to ride a tailboard or lug hose or drive/ride at high speed in the winter or the summer again.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I became an EMT in the late 80s, worked as a basic, I, cardiac tech and held a real full time job in an unrelated field. I became a paramedic in 2010. I had zero issues with the didactic portion, the hospital rotations or internship. Not because I was an EMT first, but because I had experience learning at a collegiate level and could apply critical thinking skills. I also had significant experience as a manager, so I wasn't afraid to delegate tasks to BLS people. I was 20 years older than most of the firefighters so I wasn't intimidated by them nor did I really have any interest in playing the "fire department suck up game" so many students play, in an attempt to lock up a job. The only benefit I received from prior EMT experience was that I didn't have to focus on learning EMT skills as I developed my practice as an ALS provider. I knew how to take a BP in a truck. How to use a KED and back board. Could move patients without issues. Knew how to give report at the ED. All of the things that being a good EMT involves. I think that learning and using basic EMT skills should be a requirement before entry into the paramedic field internship, rather than throwing someone in with absolutely no experience and expecting them to function as an ALS provider, when they have no clue how to actually apply BLS level skills.

That has me curious then. I knew you were a radio DJ and such, but why a sudden change to become a Medic?

For me it was a Machinist and Auto Tech but I was a EMT first just couldn't afford to go to paramedic school at the time, had a child then another, life settled in. Later got laid off, split with baby momma and decided I should finish what I started 12 years ago.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I was a basic for two years and an intermediate for almost three. Which is about five years too long as an EMT before I moved up.
Not for nothing, but the first time you attempted paramedic school, weren't you dropped from the program due to failing the field internship? Could this have been due to a lack of experience in dealing with the "routine" (ie non-medical) parts of calls, and an inability to fit what you had just learned in school into running a call? If that's the case, could more experience, or even different experience at a lower level have been beneficial?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not for nothing, but the first time you attempted paramedic school, weren't you dropped from the program due to failing the field internship? Could this have been due to a lack of experience in dealing with the "routine" (ie non-medical) parts of calls, and an inability to fit what you had just learned in school into running a call? If that's the case, could more experience, or even different experience at a lower level have been beneficial?

There's more to the story. The biggest part was my fiancé cheated on me with my former partner and me leaving her. I had excellent scores in classroom before that and good results my first internship and all my clinicals. After that everything spiraled downhill for me. I would love to go back and repeat that time without all the personal drama going on and see how I did.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
A lot of good responses. I appreciate you all taking the time to share with me. I think even if it wasn't mandatory to be a EMT-B ambulance running 911 calls for at least a year to qualify for the paramedic program I would probably do it anyway. Give me time to take some additional courses like A&P and hands on experience in the field will only help.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
EMT-I for about a year, simultaneous with 68W, during PMED school

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think they all do here in NC.

How bizarre!

But, in my articulated four year program, the students getting the best clinical grades tended to be former CNAs.

OP
OP
I

InNoViSiOn

Forum Crew Member
I've got another question for anyone that cares to share their opinion. My question is,

Where you at all "squeamish" before becoming an EMT(any level)?

I wouldn't say I'm not grossed out by the human anatomy because I am... We're ugly creatures underneath skin. But I'm not squeamish per say towards traumatic wounds and blood. But some of the procedures I've watched online like a percutaneous tracheostomy or cricothyrotomy have made me cringe a little.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How bizarre!

Yep, I agree.

I think it might have to do with needing some sort of licensure for clinical rotations, because there is no experience requirement that I know of, you just have to have the CNA card.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I had zero EMS experience before starting paramedic school.

Paramedic school would unquestionably have been easier if I had some good BLS experience, but I did just fine.

I think spending a year taking A&P while working as a basic before P school is a very solid plan.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I've been an EMT for going on 5 years but have never worked full time as an EMT. I've always had other jobs and done the EMT thing on the side, either with a volunteer agency or contingent for a private. Most of the experienced EMTs in my Paramedic class have failed/dropped.

I think it'll have value during the internship, and a little more after getting your paramedic license, especially if you work for the same employer as a medic you did as a Basic. Ultimately though all the EMT experience in the world wont compensate for lack of academic ability. Paramedic school hasn't been rocket science, but there's considerably more mental horsepower required than working as an EMT Basic. Sorry to say you either got it or you don't. If you don't youd benefit a lot more from taking some community college math and science classes than you would working as an EMT.

Kidquick

Forum Probie
I went straight into paramedic school and got a job halfway through the year as an EMT for a private service. I did well in class but tended to struggle on my rides and clinicals due to my lack of hands-on experience. I ended up hitting the field as a medic with a lot to learn still. That was five years ago and it worked out for me because I was forced into a sink-or-swim situation, but it's not a path I'd recommend to anybody.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I did 2 years as a basic, (only a year and a half of that working full time), then another 2 years as an intermediate before I moved on to medic, and I think it was just about right. As others have said, you can do without it, but god it makes your life easier.

And no, I wasn't particularly squeamish, though I'm notably less so now...except about sputum, that :censored::censored::censored::censored: is gross. I've been puked on, peed on, shat on, bleed on, cried on, I've even been cummed on, and aside from some grumbling about how I'm going to have to clean that up, none of it really fazes me, but if I have to suction a trach, I'm fighting back vomit.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
3 1/2 years working full time in various EMT roles.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well 4 1/2 if you count working part time too (during P school.)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Never worked as a basic. I went right into my EMT-I program. Worked as an EMT-I for 6 months on an ALS 911/CCT rig. I then upgraded to Primary Care Paramedic ( moved back home to Canada) worked as a PCP for 3 years before starting EMT-P/ Advanced Care Paramedic program. That took 2 years ( some of it was part time as I was still working ft on the trucks)