How hard is it to get a job in a big city EMS system

Tk11

Forum Captain
Any big city EMS job, is it hard to get into?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Depends on the city and who has the contracts.

With that said, big ghetto-y cities that chew up EMTs and medics, and systems with high turnover rates will be easier to get your feet into....

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Like Flying said, it just depends. In STL, jobs seem to be pretty competitive, but where I am going after I graduate it looks pretty easy to get into.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the "big" city. Some cities have FF/EMTs work on ambulances, so then you have to compete with guys who want to be FFs so bad, they'll say and do anything (including EMS) to do it. Then some cities only hire paramedics to staff ambulances. Then there are the ones where private ambulances transport where EMT jobs are dime-a-dozen. My city has EMTs who are not FFs, and judging by how bad so many of them are, it must be pretty easy to get hired. Another city, where I worked as a medic, had great EMTs, and to get a job as an EMT was actually pretty hard. For a better idea of what you're getting yourself into, just name the cities you're interested in and people here will let you know what they know.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do you want a government job or are is working for a private that provides EMS to the city under a contract acceptable?

Those private service jobs will be likely easier to get, but still maybe not the easiest.

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Here in Austin theres about 15 jobs being offered to Paramedics with a sign on bonus. For EMTs? Very little without experience.