How exactly does it work?

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
I have been on many calls on the fire side of things. I am curious though as to what EMT's do on the ambulance side of things (since that is what I am going for) I don't like the fire part much.

I had a buddy who works for the ambulance company here. Large city... about 700,000 people. Probably not big compared to most out there.

He said the EMT's will do patient care on scene with the medics but will mostly do the driving unless the paramedic trusts the EMT to do PT care in the back. If it's BLS anyway.

How does it work with you? Do you guys alternate between driving and doing PT care?

Here usually on an ambulance rig they have a paramedic and an EMT. Sometimes I have seen two paramedics and and EMT. Sometimes 2 paramedics and no EMT. Other times I have seen 2 EMT's and a paramedic.

Is that when someone is working overtime?

Is it usually just a medic and an EMT? I am sure it's different for all agencies but I was just curious with yours.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Like you said, this completely depends on your specific service and its set up. I've seen all kinds of set ups.

My former agency was staffed Medic/EMT on each ambulance. They swapped attending on calls and driving based on whether the patient was ALS or BLS. BLS fire riders were only taken along if the pt. was critical and the medic wanted an extra set of hands.

Another service I've seen had ALS fire respond on all calls and maintain medical control. They would ride in on almost every call and basically do all ALS procedures, even though the private ambulance medic was also in the back with them.

Where I am now has Medic/Medic chase cars that provide the only ALS in the county. All ambulances all BLS only. They attend their own BLS calls, and one EMT will stay in the back and assist the medic during ALS calls.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Righton Chaz, that sounds very similar to here too. Our city is going through major changes though. The fire Dept didn't sign a contract for AMR so they won't be here anymore. So our fire dept is thinking about having an ambulance at the station. We might have Rural Metro take over AMR. Nobody really knows yet.

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
@ Cody1911 what area are you in? You indicated fire dept did not sign contract with AMR? I ask as I am looking to get hired with a 911 company later and just want to be apprised of who 911 is. THANKS!

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
@ Cody1911 what area are you in? You indicated fire dept did not sign contract with AMR? I ask as I am looking to get hired with a 911 company later and just want to be apprised of who 911 is. THANKS!

Hey bbm! I am in the Colorado Springs area. I volunteer for a city outside Colorado Springs. CSFD won't have AMR as an ambulance company anymore and it's really making things tough because AMR covered El paso county. (The city I am in we use AMR too) Colorado Springs is in El Paso county as well but so are a few others... and towns even. So I been seeing so many different ambulances lately. AMR is still running calls but as of 2014 they won't be here anymore. I seen a few rural metro rigs and action care starting to come down here too.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hey bbm! I am in the Colorado Springs area. I volunteer for a city outside Colorado Springs. CSFD won't have AMR as an ambulance company anymore and it's really making things tough because AMR covered El paso county. (The city I am in we use AMR too) Colorado Springs is in El Paso county as well but so are a few others... and towns even. So I been seeing so many different ambulances lately. AMR is still running calls but as of 2014 they won't be here anymore. I seen a few rural metro rigs and action care starting to come down here too.

Funny you're from Colorado Springs. That's where I went to high school and went to EMT school several years ago. Action Care and Rural Metro don't run 911 in the Springs right now. Also, there's no way Action Care is big enough to take over the CSFD contract. Last I heard, isn't it looking likely AMR is going to stay? I know there was some talk at one point of CSFD taking over transport. My advice though? Get out of the Springs to run 911 calls without fire breathing down your neck. I wouldn't be able to stand working in a system that ran ALS fire and fought with me on everything I did as a medic.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Funny you're from Colorado Springs. That's where I went to high school and went to EMT school several years ago. Action Care and Rural Metro don't run 911 in the Springs right now. Also, there's no way Action Care is big enough to take over the CSFD contract. Last I heard, isn't it looking likely AMR is going to stay? I know there was some talk at one point of CSFD taking over transport. My advice though? Get out of the Springs to run 911 calls without fire breathing down your neck. I wouldn't be able to stand working in a system that ran ALS fire and fought with me on everything I did as a medic.

Did you work for AMR out here? I've heard (and seen to an extent) that while Fire likes to remind everyone who is in charge that the relationship is still ok, and still a lot better than what's in Aurora.

I would be very surprised if AMR leaves. Yes Colorado Springs is getting out of the El Paso County ambulance contract, but that doesn't mean that they won't keep AMR.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Did you work for AMR out here? I've heard (and seen to an extent) that while Fire likes to remind everyone who is in charge that the relationship is still ok, and still a lot better than what's in Aurora.

I would be very surprised if AMR leaves. Yes Colorado Springs is getting out of the El Paso County ambulance contract, but that doesn't mean that they won't keep AMR.

Nope. I never worked in Colorado Springs. My only knowledge about the system is second hand or from my ride alongs I did during EMT class. I do second the notion that the CSFD/AMR relationship is a beautifully functioning paradise compared to the nightmare that is Aurora/Rural Metro. The one scenario I mentioned up in my first post on this thread is in reference to Aurora.

I still wouldn't want ALS fire, but if I had to have it, I know CSFD isn't the worst to work with.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
I actually just heard the CSFD fire chief quit too. I am not even sure what's going on anymore!

I really hope AMR does stick around.

Chaz that's really cool! Did you go through PPCC or memorial?

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I actually just heard the CSFD fire chief quit too. I am not even sure what's going on anymore!

PPCC up at the Rampart Range campus.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

The CSFD chief retired after 32 years. Some people (like the Independent) think he was forced out, especially after a rather unflattering after-action report was released regarding last summer's Waldo Canyon Fire.