How do you treat other providers?

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Just wondering about this?

How do you treat providers who are sick or injured. I am not talking about protocols. I know they are treated appropriately for whatever medical issue is incurred! What I want to know, is if you have encountered other providers, if they were ressistant to medical Tx, and how you dealt with them. Also, were there attitude issues???

ECC

Forum Captain
I had an Ex-Paramedic with Chest pains...classic signs of denial...you just gotta do what you can for them, explain what you think to the best of your ability, and if they still refuse to allow anymore than O2 and an IV...then get that signature on the back of your Patient Care Report...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Party line "You treat them like any other patient"

Real line, if they are squad members and seriously ill/dying/dead - do EVERYTIHNG you can.... Call for MSo4 for Pain control for the severe fracture or Chest pain.... Run like hell to the ED... Use Helocopters on borderline calls. Advocate STRONGLY for "THIS PATIENT." Work the code you would otherwise terminate in the field.... Have CISM sessions, or at least sit down with all crew members a day or 2 later and talk over it.

Oh, yeah... Throw away whatever bill is left after insurance pays.

Jon

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
I have had that situation of treating fellow members who are sick and injured, and the best thing is always be professional and do right by them no matter how severe or minor. Unfortunatly I had to do this on a big scale where there was 2 and a pt they had and the outcome was unfortunate...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by emtal233@Jun 2 2005, 10:56 PM
I have had that situation of treating fellow members who are sick and injured, and the best thing is always be professional and do right by them no matter how severe or minor. Unfortunatly I had to do this on a big scale where there was 2 and a pt they had and the outcome was unfortunate...
I know you did everything you could, Alex.

You know I trust you with my life :wub:

ECC

Forum Captain
I too responded on a terrible trauma involving a very popular EMT who made the supreme sacrafice on 6/17/1994: EMT Christopher Prescott from 34George.

I hope you are OK, Alex...

PM me if you want to...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Treat everyone with everything we have in ourselves. But I really never thing about it again if someone I hardly know doesn't make it. It's just part of the job; some people will survive, some won't, and we can't change that.

Sometimes you get to know the people you work with better than your own family. More is at stake while on the job, your life depends on the guy or gal next to ya, and vice versa. So naturally you will do everything you can, and more to treat them. But it hurts more, and has a much deeper impact than when you lose John Q Public. I've treated co-workers in the past, and I've found that it's not hard to give them your best, just asking yourself if you did the best, and gave all you could afterward.

Of course it depends on who it is. You'd have to draw straws to get someone to treat the platoon command officer, or city command. :p

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Jun 3 2005, 08:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Jun 3 2005, 08:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-emtal233@Jun 2 2005, 10:56 PM
I know you did everything you could, Alex.

You know I trust you with my life :wub: [/b][/quote]
Thanks erika and ECC. I've been doing better after a little help from everybody and some cism...Rescuecpt has been a great help... :)

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently ran on a 55 y FF/Medic with chest pains. He was very much open to anything we suggested. Meanwhile it was the easiest History I have ever obtained as I did not have to ask a single question. He just talked to me and went right down the list. All I had to do was listen as I started the line etc.

OP
OP
M

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Soon,

I will have to deal with a lot of providers in an environment where they may be prone to accident or injury. I just wondered how it was for you all. I have experienced each extreme. Some nice, some pretty difficult. I don't know what kind of patient I would be if it were me. I hope that if I ever need EMS in the future, I would be so glad to see them that I don't care that I am a provider. Just show up if I need you!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i'd wager we're all a pita as patients.

last knee operation, i had to play with everything

and of course, as we all know, hospitals have the best happy juice, which is sometimes administered in proportion to one's level of whine...

~S~