How do you inventory?

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have our wonderful Logistics department that is responsible for everything on the truck except the jump bag, immob supplies and LP12. This includes checking the engine fluids, changing lightbulbs, swapping O2 tanks, washing units, stocking cabinets, scheduling PM's of trucks and equipment, really just about everything. These folks are great and always will come take a look at anything that concerns a crew (ie: missed a bulb out, funny sound, trash left from offgoing crew.

When each truck comes back to Grady, logistics has a checkoff sheet. They must record the sticker (usually a units ID number) that is on all hard items like the LP12, portable radios, Sp02, glucometer, intubation roll, jump bag number, etc. In our cabinets we have a bin system and all of the bins are covered in shrink-wrap. If the shrink-wrap has been busted, the pull that bin and place a new one in. The used bin then goes to the main EMS supply room in the basement and gets re-stocked and re-wrapped.

There is also a smaller supply area that is staffed 24hrs with logistics crew where street folk can go to get supplies during shift, swap LP12 or radio batteries. When each crew comes in, they are responsible for checking the LP12, checking the jump bag, and the immob supplies to include straps, head blocks and Adult/pedi collars. This allows oncoming crews to go inservice within ten minutes of getting assigned a unit for the day.

disassociative

Forum Captain
We have a check-list of all the bags(Adult Trauma, Ped Trauma, Airway, Med Bag) and all the meds in the cabinets, dressings, etc. We do an external ambulance check-off then go through the list of the various medications writing down each meds earliest expiry date and organizing them from front to back from nearest expiry, to oldest. We grab the laryngoscopes, put on each blade, click it up and check the light. We run a test on the monitor and get a print-off for our records(test shock, etc). We check the levels on All of our 02 tanks, then do the standard checkoff, 2 pillows, 2 blankets, OB kits, Stair Chair, Frac Pac, LR, NS, D5w, etc.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I ride for a volli dept. so we don't have that many calls
so we usually restock what we use after every call from our stock room back at base. When we do rig checks at the beginning of every shift we also check and restock anything that seems low.

yes we do pretty much the exact same thing, we have a rig check sheet that each crew is supposed to fill out at the beginning of each shift, and if you are low or out of something and its not in the BLS or ALS supply room then drive to the hospital and get it, but if we use up supplies on a call then we just restock at the hospital....kinda sucks when you get a call at the start of the rig check..and you don't know what you have:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
My paid service is mostly transport, So we really don't need to restock our Ambulances often. When we do, We have red tags on all the doors, if its open the tag is broken and tells the next crew to refill the supplies.

Niftymedic911

Forum Probie
We have a fully staffed Logistics Department that takes care of the supplies.

In Lee County we have 8 supply depots that are strategically placed throughout the county. There are usually 1 or 2 per sector. The county is split up into 5 sectors. Cape, West, South, North, and Central. Throughout the day units utilize their bins and supplies. We have to take a visit to the depot as least once a shift. We order supplies not carried in the supply depots online via a online form. They're submitted to Logistics and a Logistics delivery driver delivers the necessary item to the depot. The only thing Logistics is not in charge of are the controlled Narcs and monitor eqiupment.... SPO2, CO2 modules, Lead cables, batteries.

All units have stations (wether fire or self standing) and do a daily checklist during the first hour on shift. The checklist includes operational as well as equipment. The truck is stocked with State and Lee county specific par levels. All of the bins are sealed with shrink wrap. The jump bags and trauma box are the only things that are not sealed. On our checklists, if the bin is sealed. We mark sealed and move on. The only time we count is for open bins or the jump bags. It takes maybe 15 min. now when it used to take an hour. Extremely easy...... thank God for speedload.

If there is a problem with a unit our fleet maintainence department takes care of the scheduling for PM and maintaining the fleet. Our reserve units are kept at the shop and can be swaped into if a unit goes down for service. If there is a flat tire, they have a tire guy that comes and replaces the tire. If there is a pancake light or minor repairs, they're written up in the red book, and handled during the PM. The mechanic will fix all repairs necessary in the red book.

The trucks are "supposed" to be cleaned every shift inside and out. Waxed and buffed once a month by the crew on that day. Our system is getting busier and busier and the trucks don't get cleaned like they should. I created a proposal for Admin to take the unit OFS during it's PM to get a good coat of wax and get throughly Deconed. They stated that it's the crews ultimate responsibility and they're not gonna pay for someone to do that.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
*sighs* i did a ride along on a friends volly service... I was so disgusted at the condition of the rig... I decon'ed, washed, waxed, and polished the brass on it... Just as I finished the EMS Director for the company showed up... Lets just say it was an OMFG at the rig... and i found out they had a reward (unspoken to the crews) for whoever fully cleaned it... walked away with $500. Donated it back to the Volly department as cleaning supplies and equipment... I'm EVIL like that.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
*sighs* i did a ride along on a friends volly service... I was so disgusted at the condition of the rig... I decon'ed, washed, waxed, and polished the brass on it... Just as I finished the EMS Director for the company showed up... Lets just say it was an OMFG at the rig... and i found out they had a reward (unspoken to the crews) for whoever fully cleaned it... walked away with $500. Donated it back to the Volly department as cleaning supplies and equipment... I'm EVIL like that.

Brass? Really??

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
sorry... old term means paying attention to small details.. i hang around the FF's too much..

keith10247

Forum Lieutenant
I took over EMS Supply responsibilities at my station and I face the restocking question every day! Most of my supplies come from the county supply dept. In order for me to order them, I have to fill out a form, get it signed by the chief, put it in an envelope and interoffice it to the county and wait a few weeks to get replenished. I can get a lot of supplies from the EMS room at the hospital but lately they have been slacking on their replenishing as well.

I am intrigued about this red tag idea...do you have any pictures of how these red tags go on to your cabinets? In order to open the cabinet, do you have to cut the tag or does it tare pretty easily?

My paid service is mostly transport, So we really don't need to restock our Ambulances often. When we do, We have red tags on all the doors, if its open the tag is broken and tells the next crew to refill the supplies.