How do you carry your radio?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I hold my radio with my hand. I grasp it between my thumb and my fingers.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
MSDeltaFlt said:
Ditto. I'll use whatever's handy.

On a side note, I'm right handed (mainly), so I carry my kit on my right shoulder. To keep it from messing with my radio, which bugs the living @#$% out of me on scene, I keep my radio on my left side belt/pocket/whatever.
I am the exact same way. My radio is always on my left side and then my scissors and whatever else I have that shift goes on the right. After my jump kit knocking it off my belt a few thousand times.. and it bugging the &!%# outta me.. I decided to try the left side and I've never gone back to putting it on the right.

Forum Probie
thick leather strap with the stabilizing strap. Radio on my right hip with the strap on my left shoulder. Mic sits just bellow my left collar bone. Small LED flashlight rides on the strap. Since I ALWAYS have my radio I ALWAYS have my light. It's a good setup

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i always carry mine in the truck...sometimes i remember it and take it on my right shoulder just above the collar bone.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
If you use a radio strap, look into this..http://www.gearkeeper.com/communication/mickeeperfire.html
Cut off that crappy leather loop, and put that in its place. I have yet to have a mic fall off that, and you can pull it any which way, and it comes back.

For those a little more paranoid about safety, but don't want a radio strap, wear radio on belt, and run mic under the epaulet, loop thingy on button up shirt), then button it back down, and clip your mic on the front of your shirt, where it buttons up, just below your chin. Should the mic come dislodged, it most likely won't pass through the epaulet, and you can transmit without taking your eyes off a subject.

Granted, this tip came from an urban cop, but for those that work in an urban system, it works well...

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I reach out my arm with my hand open...slowly I close my hand grasping the smooth leather case that the LPE-200 Ericsson radio sleeps in and gracefully bringing to to my left side when I flip it upside down and push it into the leather holster on my belt..then I slowly rotate it 180 degrees to the right and let go..slight wiggle of the hips and ready to go!

Was that creative enough?!? LOL

MDKEMT

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
I keep my radio in the back pocket of my EMT pants. The pockets are quite deep and works well for me.
Everyone else seems to use a belt clip.

Last edited by a moderator:

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I use a leather swivel holster. It's not designed well for my radio though. I can't see the front display. We use the Motorola HT1250's with lapel mikes. An'd our uniforms (either jumpsuit or shirt/pants) have a handy lapel strap on either side. I wear mine on the left side of my duty belt with the mic on the same side.