How do I make sure my school isn't an EMT-mill?

OP
OP
C

cperschke

Forum Probie
I'd like to thank you all for the advice. Probably one of my biggest concerns is retaining this information so I can actually use it. Even if I don't end up working in the medical field. I've been looking into volunteer opportunities in my area as well.

That being said, I'm kinda shocked, My wife is a CNA, and a Nursing student. The Nursing path is very black and white, schools are either accredited, or there not. It seems like there's a lot of subjective evaluations that take place in EMT education.

I have nothing but time on my hands right now, I was recently laid off. So I hope to take advantage of the situation to gain the education necessary to change career fields. So, I'm not concerned with an accelerated program, unless it's so accelerated that I can't retain info.

Sadly It sounds like mostly you don't know until it's too late if your in a medic mill.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Sadly It sounds like mostly you don't know until it's too late if your in a medic mill.

No, you know when you have chosen a medic mill.

It is the one people seek out when they don't want to do all that paperwork and prerequisites to get into a college program.

It is the program that whiners seek out who think college level classes like Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology and Pathophysiology are too hard or a waste of time.

It is the program for those who get turned on by the flashy ads screaming "you too can do all this in just a few short weeks".

It is the program that promises a great paying job with lots of respect for very little time in the classroom.

It is the program for those that just want to be spoon fed what is on the test.

It is the program that costs as much if not more than a new car with easy "long term" financing.

It is the program that doesn't mention patient care is involved with the job.

OP
OP
C

cperschke

Forum Probie
No, you know when you have chosen a medic mill.

It is the one people seek out when they don't want to do all that paperwork and prerequisites to get into a college program.

It is the program that whiners seek out who think college level classes like Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology and Pathophysiology are too hard or a waste of time.

I understand and agree with your points, but in your experience is it that any class offered at a college is going to be good, and any class offered outside of a college is bad?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand and agree with your points, but in your experience is it that any class offered at a college is going to be good, and any class offered outside of a college is bad?

Generally in EMS, you want to stay within a college atmosphere. They are almost always accredited. The education is generally better, and is cheaper. Plus, you have the opportunity to earn real college credits and have the support system of the community college with access to counselors, a library, student aid and student health care, etc. These are my observations.