How do EMTs deal with suicidal adolescents?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So the kids drive the rigs?
Yes. As I recall from a news story the ambulance is parked at school for the students to respond from during the day.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Why? You can’t work as an EMT. Finish HS first, that’s a bit more important than trying to be a hero to your friends.
I went to career center during high school and graduated with my fire and emt card, got my first FD paycheck (part time) the summer after I graduated..

Now, in terms of age and years in the pension system, I’d say I’m 3-5 years ahead of most everyone else on my department.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I went to career center during high school and graduated with my fire and emt card, got my first FD paycheck (part time) the summer after I graduated..

Now, in terms of age and years in the pension system, I’d say I’m 3-5 years ahead of most everyone else on my department.
That’s AFTER HS.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Quick derailment.

It’s a well known—and all to exhausting— fact that there seems to be no shortage of adolescent-minded “adults” that struggle with adulting well into their 70’s.

OP, don’t be that person.

Back on topic, I think @NomadicMedic replied to the OP with the most honest and straightforward answer.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
As someone that started in my teenaged years, I can say that if early awareness training on critical incident/traumatic stress management isn't taken very seriously with these kind of programs, they'll have a lot of alcoholics in their mid 20's in their services. No one told us that was a thing in 1982 and most of us paid for it.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a town in Alaska doing the same thing: they can graduate as FF I & II, and EMT-B at 16 years old. They run everything in town.
I don't know if it is the same state wide, or just there.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
True, just pointing out that I was in fire school and emt school during the last two years of high school.
Sooo, you went to Tri-School?…

Sure beats the hell out of my “walked three miles up hill in the snow on cold SoCal winter mornings to get to school” stories I’ve been feeding our kids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
Quick derailment.

It’s a well known—and all to exhausting— fact that there seems to be no shortage of adolescent-minded “adults” that struggle with adulting well into their 70’s.

OP, don’t be that person.

Back on topic, I think @NomadicMedic replied to the OP with the most honest and straightforward answer.
I’m not, I’ve just seen a bunch of overdose cases in my city, with the majority being troubled teens

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Sooo, you went to Tri-School?…

Sure beats the hell out of my “walked three miles up hill in the snow on cold SoCal winter mornings to get to school” stories I’ve been feeding our kids.
What is tri school? My junior and senior year I went half day to my regular high school and half day to career center or tech school or whatever it’s called elsewhere in the country.