How did you decide on your company?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I've had numbers for weeks now but it seems like I've had a hard time finding a job. WELL, this week I managed to get 2 offers... 1 from a national company that does 911, the other from a smaller company that does not. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons for both company...

What criteria did you use in choosing a job??

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I would do the 911. I am just not a fan of interfacility transport all hours of the day and night. 911 is where it's at for me.

Prior to my full-time fire gig I worked for a private doing general transport and part-time for a first responder ompany at sporting events for the crowd, and youth sports for player injuries, because those were my options, as soon as I could work as a reserve ff/emt I jumped on it and 3 months later was full-time.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
which pays more?

I would work full time doing 911 and per diem for the interfacility transport.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I'd go for full time 911, and see what kind of money you can work out with the others.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'd go for the full-time 911 job. Also, the national company is likely to have better HR policies and support than the local company.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
My answer to you is already mentioned. Try to get something where there is a good balance of the 911 vs transfers. 911 still gives the rush and feel good after calls, whereas the transfers (depending the level of care) are more thinking call as everthing is already done.

Money talks, and bulls..t walks, however it can't buy you job satisfaction...

Good luck!!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm inclined to agree with Ops and the others. There is more to it than just money, (although money is nice). Potential job satisfaction is very important. What type of calls do you want to do? Emerg, transfers, critical care transfers or all of them. Serious emerg calls can be intimidating when you start, but you would most likely have an experienced partner who will have most of the work and responsibility. You will assist in many things which will only broaden your on the job education and probably make you want to be able to do more yourself.

Other things to consider are: working hours; sick time (everyone gets sick); vacation time; pension plan; health care plan (family inclusive or just you); travel time/cost to go to work; uniform/equipement allowance; continuing education availability to meet state and employer requirements, is this paid or unpaid. There are probably some others to consider.

Best of luck where ever you end up. :)

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I chose my company by finding out the 911 providers in my area, then choosing the one with the best reputation, found people who work there on myspace, asked a million questions, interviewed to get a feel for it, and accepted offer.

I would accept the offer of the company doing the kind of work you want to do. One does EMS and one does medical transport, both require EMT level of training, but they are different fields.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
My answer to you is already mentioned. Try to get something where there is a good balance of the 911 vs transfers. 911 still gives the rush and feel good after calls, whereas the transfers (depending the level of care) are more thinking call as everthing is already done.

Money talks, and bulls..t walks, however it can't buy you job satisfaction...

Good luck!!

No but if its good enough it can pay your Rent,Food,Gas,Insurance!

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I STILL havent accepted an offer but will do so by tomorrow. I think I'm 99.999% sure that I'm going with the 911 service althoug it IS less money. I prefer the private service because big companies scare me BUT I have a husband who had a heart attack at 21 and a son with asthma.. I NEED great insurance and the 911 company provides it. The private service has no insurance which is probably going to be the deciding factor. My hubby quit his job at Delta last week. 12/01 we no longer have Delta insurance!!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You have to look at the whole package instead of just hourly pay. Insurance, benefits, and work conditions are just as important as your hourly pay. If you need insurance, then this is a no-brainer!