How can I promote my idea?

bri1a4n

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! This will actually be my first post. I've always wanted to be an EMT (even though I want to be an engineer by profession). I am currently a volunteer member of my local ambulance corps, and I wish to continue this when I go to college in a year.

In my experience, there have been times when a patient is unconscious or weak and unable to talk clearly. When we're filling out the patient care report, it's often difficult to actually understand the individual.

So, I thought up the idea of storing medical information and contacts on your cell phone. After doing a Google search, I already noticed the "ICE" thing (In Case of Emergency Contacts); however, my idea is different. Instead of just storing people to call, you could also store your full name, address, physician, allergies, medical conditions, and other data that would be important to the responding emergency personnel.

Does anyone have advice as to how I can promote my idea? I've already made a website (I coded this on my own :)) and a Facebook Page. I was planning on calling some phone companies to see if any of them would be willing to implement this, but I think I should gain some attention to the cause first.

Thanks for your help.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you read the ICE threads on this and other forums?

Any device which plays off people's fears will sell, so you may have an audience for your product.

Having said that, very few providers actually check a cell phone for information.

Also, most people's cell phones lock to safe guard any information, so unless you know the password it is useless again.

Plus, as anyone in the medical field will tell you, patients with chronic histories are notorious for not updating their information. I have seen old lists, dosages changed, certain meds no longer taken but still on list, etc so now you are relying on data that is unknown in accuracy.

In reality, very little of this information is going to change care rendered in an emergency setting once a proper exam is performed.

And one final thing....iPhone already has an ap for that as my wife uses it. :)

Not trying to be discouraging, but presenting other angles you may not have considered since you are not in the medical field.

Good luck!

feldy

Forum Captain
also look up vial of life...some people (very few) keep something in their refrigerator that has all their medical info...but same thing most dont update it and most emts dont think to check the fridge unless we need a snack before a quick run to the hospital. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Roger those.

This is an example of why I say get the problems, allergies and meds first.

More like have a service that calls the pt weekly and checks for updates, keeps the info on file and has a 24/7 phone number or website with registered users able to access this info. Currently pts and their MD's can do that with some companies, but not third party EMS.

I went to a dogtag website, bought two individual tags they call luggage tags (so I could printe different studff on each tag) , and have in abbreviation my name, phone#, medical condition and meds, plus medications to avoid. With chain and shipping, cost me about $7 (versus $65 for Medic Alert type device); I could update monthly, but my shipping experience was three weeks.

Updating and corrections are the biggest issue.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
An idea whose time should never come.

I appreciate your efforts and the basic concept SEEMS valid, but were I to observe a medic on a call spending one second reaching for and consulting with a patient's cell phone rather than doing the work (which would mean every FNG will be doing C-A-B-C's!) I'd personally contact the medical director of the area, push for disciplining the medic, and then sue to BAN the practice.

Grand example of hands-off-the-wheel driving with potentially fatal consequences. But worst of all, the distractions that so few in this cyber-world are able to avoid:

"Hey Partner, this guy's got the coolest App in here, check it out!"

A patient who is truly interested in making info available will wear a tag; obvious to locate and simple to interpret and apply. Technology is not the answer for everything.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well said Tender of Fire...

OP
OP
B

bri1a4n

Forum Ride Along
I think I may have presented my idea wrong.

First of all, I am only 18 years old. I'm not trying to make a new business or product. I'm simply promoting an idea that I believe would be beneficial to patients and to those treating the patients.

Maybe my lack of experience with EMS programs in other areas of the country is messing up my perception of the usefulness of such a product (all EMTs in my county are volunteers and only medics are paid), but I still feel that if such a practice were to become more standardized, it could have positive effects.

Akflightmedic mentioned phones being locked. This is one of the reasons FOR my idea, rather than a prohibiting factor. Again, this is where you interpreted my idea incorrectly. I wanted to talk to cell phone companies about them DIRECTLY including such a program in their products that can bypass the lock feature.

And firetender: since when are all of the EMS officials DIRECTLY treating the patient the whole time? I don't know where you live, but where I am from, an EMT has to fill out a patient care report. And, if implemented correctly (i.e., adding the program into an easy-to-spot area of the phone), my idea would lessen the time it took the EMT to fill out this report and increase the time he or she has to treat the patient. Also, information on tags cannot be easily altered. And what average person really wants to go around wearing a medical tag? You have to consider what people are willing to do. Even a person who is truly concerned about his or her health may simply not wear a tag for aesthetic reasons (I know I certainly fall into this category).

Then there were a few comments about the problem of patients not keeping an up-to-date list of medications. Well, what would a patient be more likely to update: a phone that is constantly by his or her side (and would probably be when he or she is at the doctor's office), or a piece of paper which he or she would have to cross out or even recreate if medications were changed?

Granted, not everyone has a cell phone, especially the elderly. And even those who do do not utilize the more advanced functions of the phone (which this program would probably fall under). But it's clear that, especially among younger individuals, mobile devices are having a profound impact upon communication and even everyday life. And if we want to implement such a program, we need to start at some point, so why not now?

Sorry for ranting there. Heh. I just wanted you to understand more fully what my idea is.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
And firetender: since when are all of the EMS officials DIRECTLY treating the patient the whole time?

You have a point, Grasshopper, but probably the most obvious glitch in your idea is the issue of privacy. Medics are paranoid enough about getting sued without having to be accused of "invading" the personal information (Mistresses, drug dealers and bribed politicians) that people store.

Carry on with your idea, but the information must be EASILY ACCCESIBLE, any Emergency Personnel needs to be ALLOWED access without fear of suit, and it must be FOOLPROOF. What does that mean? It means I carry my Brother's cellphone sometimes (example only). Because of the meds he's on, if he's found unconscious, it's for a different reason than I would be. Are you treating me or HIS cellphone?

No dis on you. I really love and appreciate that you're thinking and using this site as a sounding board and source of info. Keep it up!

OP
OP
B

bri1a4n

Forum Ride Along
You have a point, Grasshopper, but probably the most obvious glitch in your idea is the issue of privacy. Medics are paranoid enough about getting sued without having to be accused of "invading" the personal information (Mistresses, drug dealers and bribed politicians) that people store.

Carry on with your idea, but the information must be EASILY ACCCESIBLE, any Emergency Personnel needs to be ALLOWED access without fear of suit, and it must be FOOLPROOF. What does that mean? It means I carry my Brother's cellphone sometimes (example only). Because of the meds he's on, if he's found unconscious, it's for a different reason than I would be. Are you treating me or HIS cellphone?

This was why I wanted to include a picture of the patient in the program, or some other way of identifying him or her. And hopefully they would be able to get some form of ID off of the patient. I agree, there are some downfalls, such as the battery failing, and this definitely shouldn't be the only source of information. As you said before, technology isn't always the answer. But I feel it would be a decent supplement to what is already in place.

And in terms of privacy, as I said before, I want to make sure an emergency official can get into the phone without having to go through personal data. So, if a person wants to lock his phone, he can, but the EMT can still get emergency information.

Also, thank you for your advice and criticism. It helped me to reconsider my idea and work on it. :)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Call me an old fart (even though I am not) and I stand by this...I simply will not ever go searching for a phone to get information. The thought never crosses my mind, even with patients who can not speak or are unconscious.

My job is to do an assessment and treat accordingly. Would it be nice to sometimes have info such as that on hand, sure...will it affect any treatment I would render? Highly unlikely.

There are way too many variables which make this seemingly good idea a really bad one in my opinion. I dislike it the same way I disliked the whole ICE capade.

Firetender covered several of the concerns and they are valid.

At this point in time, I do not see how this feature would be of any use or easily accessed/utilized.

The privacy issues is a HUGE concern. How does an EMT or Medic access this information? What prevents John Q. Public from accessing the same way once they find out...do you think this will be an industry secret? Hardly.

What is to keep some inquiring EMT or Medic from checking friends or family phones in a non emergency capacity?

Information is power...what would keep an employer from quickly checking histories on employees?

OP
OP
B

bri1a4n

Forum Ride Along
Well, what keeps a prying friend from looking at your text messages? What's the difference in this case? It's your phone--your private property--and you are responsible for it. Information on texts messages can be far more incriminating than anything on a medical record.

And besides, we're not talking full-fledged medical histories here. This is going to be basic information that could be obtained through looking in someone's medicine cabinet (or even a medication list that is comparable to what is planned through this scheme).

I know change of this nature will take a great deal of time, but if it improves the well-being of patients, I feel it is worth it. And this definitely has the potential to help patients.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, what keeps a prying friend from looking at your text messages? What's the difference in this case? It's your phone--your private property--and you are responsible for it. Information on texts messages can be far more incriminating than anything on a medical record.

And besides, we're not talking full-fledged medical histories here. This is going to be basic information that could be obtained through looking in someone's medicine cabinet (or even a medication list that is comparable to what is planned through this scheme).

I know change of this nature will take a great deal of time, but if it improves the well-being of patients, I feel it is worth it. And this definitely has the potential to help patients.

My friend does not have my password to see my text messages. You are assuming every EMT and Medic is of noble character and not a single one would ever pry or use it for bad purposes.

In addition, as I stated earlier, how does one access this feature. It would never be secret and then what would prevent others from using it.

A phone is a lot easier to access than my medicine cabinet...FYI.

And again, how would basic information improve the patients care?

These are the questions YOU must answer in order to promote such a product.

You wanted feedback and I have given it, now keep at it and let us know how it goes.

Edit: And I did not mean for you to compare texts to medical records for incriminating reasons...I meant think about it from a medical perspective. What if you have HIV, Herpes, Hep C, or any other condition which could be disastrous within your social or employment circle should someone find out, all because of a simple easy to access feature?

Do not say well those people should let it be known anyways, we might as well all have scarlet letters in that case.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
A more plausible idea would be to have electronic medic ID bracelets. EMS providers are trained to look for the little red star on a bracelet/necklace/dogtag. Making it electronic enables the user to update their information at will, but it would have to be water proof. Eeeesh.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The only thing I ever checked for was bracelets or necklaces. If they didn't have one, I moved forward.

The local hospitals had ID cards that people could sign up for. They looked like a credit card. On the card was just individuals name and ID number. If they medic wanted a pt hx they would just call the number on the back, give the ID and get it. There was also a magnetic swipe on the back which was supposed to be for swiping on their computers and that would bring up the pt hx. But the availability of computers in ambulances back in the late 90's wasn't as big as they are now.

Maybe if there was some sort of national database... (opens can of worms)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
A more plausible idea would be to have electronic medic ID bracelets. EMS providers are trained to look for the little red star on a bracelet/necklace/dogtag. Making it electronic enables the user to update their information at will, but it would have to be water proof. Eeeesh.

RFID chip in the back of the neck like a dog? :p

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Why not? Big brother is already watching Fluffy. LOL

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief

Dandy

Forum Probie
Awesome

I admire your ingenuity and inventiveness. Your awareness of a need and then finding a way to fill that need is the hallmark of a highly talented person. Keep recognizing needs and learning how to fill them. You will always have people who say "no" that won't work. They are usually right. Keep plugging away and one day you may be the guy who comes up with an idea that has a huge benefit and a unique solution which you can patent. When you find that idea everybody will agree "that dog has legs". So keep up the good work, follow your passion, do what you love to do, and you will succeed in life.