Houston medic positions

Masteinhaus

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, I'm a paramedic working in Chicago for a private ambulance company. I have my NREMT-P and should have my license to work in Texas in a few days.

My girlfriend lives in the medical district of Houston, working at MD Anderson. I was hoping I could get a few websites or phone numbers from anyone regarding possible jobs. I have already looked into AMR, and was very unimpressed with their inability to return phone calls.

If anyone has any info that would help me, please share.

Thanks much, and stay safe!

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Baystarems.com

Acadian is also currently hiring with a 5k bonus with 1 year contract

For the size of the area AMR really isn't that big in Houston. Stick with the bigger companies. There are somewhere around 300 licensed privates in the houston area. Also you can submit an app at anytime for Harris County Emergency Corps, HCEC.com They hire fairly often and its 911.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Baystarems.com

For the size of the area AMR really isn't that big in Houston. Stick with the bigger companies. There are somewhere around 300 licensed privates in the houston area. Also you can submit an app at anytime for Harris County Emergency Corps, HCEC.com They hire fairly often and its 911.

There's also HFD (meh) and ETMC in the area.

OP
OP
M

Masteinhaus

Forum Ride Along
Great! Thanks for all the Info guys, HUGE help. Arcadia is e-mailing me back regarding interview dates.

Problem is, now I have the Texas Dept of Health telling me that Texas requires a 2 year degree in EMS in order to obatin a medic license in the state....

I have my NREMT-P, I graduated from one of the best Medic schools in Illinois, have 911 experience, and am currently employed as a medic. I was told by the NREMT that their license issues reciprocity to ALL 50 STATES!! Boy was I lied to about this seemingly worthless license....

Anyone else know about this?

I didn't decide to get into EMS until after a few years of college...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Great! Thanks for all the Info guys, HUGE help. Arcadia is e-mailing me back regarding interview dates.

Problem is, now I have the Texas Dept of Health telling me that Texas requires a 2 year degree in EMS in order to obatin a medic license in the state....

I have my NREMT-P, I graduated from one of the best Medic schools in Illinois, have 911 experience, and am currently employed as a medic. I was told by the NREMT that their license issues reciprocity to ALL 50 STATES!! Boy was I lied to about this seemingly worthless license....

Anyone else know about this?

I didn't decide to get into EMS until after a few years of college...

Your using the wrong terminology, licensed paramedic (LP) is a distinct level in Texas, your looking at being a certified paramedic (EMT-P).

And it's Acadian...might want to make sure you get that right in the interview ;).

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
EMT-P certification = license to work as a paramedic in Texas. NREMT + IL in your reciprocity packet.

EMT- Licensed Paramedic: Fancy EMT-P wallhangar with slightly different recertification requirements.

No functional difference.

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
A licensed paramedic in Texas just means you have an associates in EMS or a bachelor/graduate degree in anything. That's all.

FourPack

Forum Ride Along
Baystarems.com

Thanks for the info -- very useful info!!
FourPack