Houston area

phideux

Forum Captain
My fiancee is talking about a location change and she keeps mentionin the Houston area, she has friends there.. what are the job prospects in the area? I would prefer the burbs outside the city. She's an RN, I'm a paramedic. Not looking for transport, either nonfire 911 or ER trauma center type work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My fiancee is talking about a location change and she keeps mentionin the Houston area, she has friends there.. what are the job prospects in the area? I would prefer the burbs outside the city. She's an RN, I'm a paramedic. Not looking for transport, either nonfire 911 or ER trauma center type work.
There are a few options, how far are you willing to commute? I just made.The move to the greater metro.

OP
OP
P

phideux

Forum Captain
I'd like to commute a little less than I do now, I drive about 1.5hrs each way to work now. My fiancee drives about 10 minutes. I know there are several hospitals in the area, she's not an ER nurse so she doesn't need a trauma center to work at. If I'm gonna work in an ER I want a busy trauma center, or I'll work on the ambulance. Who handles the 911 in the area down there?? City, county, private, a mix of them all??? Is EMS down there fire based, or stand alone?? I'm too old for fire. Do you know if they use medics in the ERs???

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
All I know is that Houston fire controls the cities 911. Not sure about surrounding areas, but you'll get your answer soon!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So I know a little more about the southern metro than I do for northern Harris County and Montgomery county.
For Montgomery county, you have Montgomery County Hospital District EMS. A good repuation for a service. About an hour north of Houston, but they are getting at least one hospital certified as a Lvl 2 trauma center up there.
In Houston you have TMC (Texas Medical Center). It's a HUGE multi-center area. 2x lvl 1 adult hospitals (Memorial Hermann and Ben Taub) and 1 pedi lvl 1 (Texas Childrens). City of Houston is run by HFD.
South of there you have the City of South Houston (third service EMS), Clear Lake Emergency MEdical Corps (non-profit private that does some 911 and transfers in Harris County), Acadian (private, does some 911 and LOTS of transfers). Plus all the associated small volly depts and hybrid depts (Friendswood Fire/EMS, Southeast Fire, etc)
To the east of there you have City of Alvin EMS (NO!), Angleton Area Emergency Medical Corps (Meh).
Farther south you have Galveston County. League City is a city third service EMS. Galveston County Health District - Galveston Area Ambulance Authority covers parts of Galveston County (Bacliff and Hitchcock), as well as all 911 on Galveston Island itself (I work on the island)
You also have La Porte EMS (third service city), Lake Jackson EMS (great dept, to the west of me in Galveston), Texas City Fire, (transporting career dept).

I'm missing services but you get the gist. Lots of services.

As for hospitals, other than the Houston hospitals, you have Clear Lake Regional Medical Center (trying for lvl 2), Bay Area Regional Medical center, and Houston Methodist St Johns, all in the Webster Area.
Galveston county have University of TX Medical Branch - Galveston (a Lvl 1 Trauma center), on the island. And UTMB is opening another hospital in League City.

Any specific questions, let me know I might be able to help.

OP
OP
P

phideux

Forum Captain
Thanks folks.

RScott

Forum Probie
In North Central Houston there is Harris County Emergency Corp. North West Houston has Cypress Creek EMS. There are a lot of hospitals in the Area. Montgomery County EMS is a little further north.

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
There are plenty of good paying EMS jobs in and around H-town. The economy is generally pretty good out there. I know Harris County Emergency Corps is a the best in town probably. There are plenty of suburbs with non-fire EMS. Cypress Creek is a big one Montgomery county is good, Galveston county is great. Manvel EMS, Friendswood EMS and Alvin EMS on the south side. Good luck in H-town. Get ready for traffic humidity and heat also crime watch out for crime depending on where you are.