Hospital vs college based paramedic

jrarnold243

Forum Probie
I am in a quandary. If I go to a college based paramedic program in Fort Worth, I will end up with an AAS degree if I take 4 extra classes. Also the ambulance clinicals are taken during the semester. Dallas Methodists program has a better option for the clinicals. If you want extra, they are able to get you more. TCC is limited to the ones you sign up for at the beginning of each semester.
Dallas Methodist ambulance clinicals are done at the end of the program, after you have taken your national registry.
Any comments from actual paramedics that went though either program?

J B

Forum Lieutenant
I thought Texas was one of the few states that requires a degree to work as a paramedic? http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraumasystems/certinfo.shtm

In general I don't really understand why more people don't go the degree route, but especially in your case getting the degree kind of seems like a no-brainer?

I don't have experience with either of those programs, though, and I'm not even certified as a basic yet so fwiw...

OP
OP
J

jrarnold243

Forum Probie
Hospital or degree

In Texas there is a licensed paramedic or certified paramedic. Right now there is no advantage to getting the license. Not to say in the future there won't be though. I guess the advantage would be is you old have an AAS as opposed to not having one. The licensed paramedic cost an extra $100 also through the state.

J B

Forum Lieutenant
What's the average career length of a paramedic? 5-7 years (maybe even shorter)? Then what do you do? I'm sure everyone goes into it planning to stay in for longer than that, but the reality of life is that plans change, people change or realize something doesn't suit them, etc.

If you don't already have a BA or BS, getting the AAS sets you up better to go to nursing/PA school if you want to go that route, or makes you more competitive in the job search if you decide to get out of healthcare.

I guess my point is that, while the degree might not increase your salary from the get go, it will likely be able to open up doors for you down the line regardless of what you end up doing.

OP
OP
J

jrarnold243

Forum Probie
Degree or not

JB, thanks for your input. That is way I have been thinking. I am an older guy(53) retired, and getting back into EMS. Worked my way through college as an EMT. The degree won't necessarily help right now, but later it might. Who knows, buy with only 4 extra classes and also will be a CCP when I finish.