hospital setting ...bring the dead back upto 24 hours ?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
unata7eq.jpg

OP
OP
O

Owenscott

Forum Probie
I thought his study about having pictures up high in the patient rooms to check on NDE was a great idea.

OP
OP
O

Owenscott

Forum Probie
so what he is saying is not possible ?
if his number r to be believed ... 33% success right now seems pretty impressive.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
so what he is saying is not possible ?
if his number r to be believed ... 33% success right now seems pretty impressive.

That is for inhospital cardiac arrest. A much different animal than out of hospital. You've got an abundance of resources, space, good light and are usually at the beside rapidly whereas you're looking at extended response times, sometimes only two personnel on scene, less than ideal environments in the prehospital arena.

I'm very interested in this research but at this point in time, no, I do not believe what he is saying is possible. You can even argue the ethics of it as well... Why reanimate these people with complex medical histories who've died because of a medical problem. What are we trying to accomplish?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I think one of his points was that some of those with complex medical histories and multiple comorbidities wouldn't be the ones to be "reanimated" (I can't help but think of Zombies). He gave specific examples of MI's in young patients and those with arrests due to hypovolemia. It is an interesting point that those with reversible causes may have a better chance than we think they do now, but I'll be curious to see where this goes.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
That was actually a really well done interview (as opposed to the CNN interview: "YOU WILL DIE FROM CPR").
Parnia said:
No. When brain cells have decayed after a number of hours, no intervention, neither now nor in a 1000 years, will bring them back. That death is final. But up to that point, there is a gray zone. Today, we simply do not know when someone transitions from potentially reversible to irreversible. Tests used today to diagnose brain death are tests of brain stem function -- not of actual cell death.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
That was actually a really well done interview (as opposed to the CNN interview: "YOU WILL DIE FROM CPR").

Oh god. I saw that a few weeks ago and was pretty terrified. Fear mongering at it's worst.